45-70 Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon my ignorance, but why the duplex loads? :think: I have seen that before but don't remember the reason for it.

Duplex....ignition with a fast pistol power during cold weather and also usually increases speed. There are some other reasons but for me it's knowing the gun will go boom when the trigger is pulled.

Omega45 said:
Duplex....ignition with a fast pistol power during cold weather and also usually increases speed. There are some other reasons but for me it's knowing the gun will go boom when the trigger is pulled.
You don't buy into the idea that the faster burning duplex powder, will obturate the bullet? Umm, i guess that is one of the 'other reasons'.

Ron,

I shoot sabotless in all my smokeless guns and I have shot good groups with duplex and straight loads. With the duplex I can size my bullets a little looser for easy loading. Individual testing is needed to see if you need to duplex or not. In my Encore conversion it's not needed. In my Rem 700ML .400/.408 I feel more comfortable with a duplex. Does the duplex make the bullet obturate better? Probably with a heavier jacketed bullet. It's also been said duplex is less pressure more speed. Maybe? I do not have an issue with carrying two Lanes Tubes taped together for easy reloading in the field.

junkman said:
On those conversions does the new breech plug reach all the way to the rifling?Or is there a space between where the plug ends and the rifling starts?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I don't shoot smokeless in my Slufoot conversion. The Savage breech plug does not reach the rifling, but does take up all the chamber except for a small section of the throat. Approximately 1/2" or so before the rifling. This is not any type of powder chamber sans the rifling. It's not long enough to drop a bullet into, even without powder. Just guessing, but 20-30 grains of powder VOLUME should have you well into the rifling. Not a factor with any load I know of.

Latest posts

Back