.45 cal pet loads for SMI

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolmaster

Reaction score
I have a .45 cal barrel coming from SMI. It is a one in 28 twist. Anyone have a pet load they are willing to share? Smokeless of course!

S.M.I. loads

I don't-- but, as Ron and Joe Name are both here, if you edit the topic to say, "S.M.I. loads?" . . . I'll bet a cup of coffee they do!

Re: S.M.I. loads

RandyWakeman said:
I don't-- but, as Ron and Joe Name are both here, if you edit the topic to say, "S.M.I. loads?" . . . I'll bet a cup of coffee they do!

RB & SW both have been testing .45 loads extensively and are both using IMR 4198 @ 55 to 57 gr. Claim it has been the most promising for single powder loads.

55gr is delivering right at 2600 fps with 200 sst. I saw where RB says that at above 55 gr the wonder wad is being used to reduce sabot disruption.

Keep us posted with results. I am very interested in SMI barrel conversion for Savage with 28 to 30 twist.

The testing RB is doing I believe is with 22 twist, the 28 twist should be capable of considerable more speed with less sabot stress.

I've found that the 22 twist was no more nor less accurate than the 28 twist 45 cal when shooting the 200SST with Harvester sabots. The MMP sabots were less accurate and affected by temp more. The 22 twist will shoot as fast as one should care to shoot the 200SST and stay accurate. Its primary advantage should be to shoot longer 40/357 cal bullets than the 200SST. In spite of that, the 28 twist is shooting the 357 195g DCs @ 2300 '/sec at well below 1 MOA with very little recoil. Haven't tried these in the 22 twist yet. I do have some 180g/40 cal "The Bullets" that are quite long, and plan to test them extensively in the 22 twist. I think the 22 and 28 twist barrels will both work well; but if I were ordering a 45 cal barrel/gun, I'd likely select either a 28 or 32 twist barrel. I just have a gut feeling that either would be good choices, especially if 200SW/SSTs were the projectile of choice.

SW, here is the one I would try if I had a 45, Barnes triple shock:

Diameter Weight Description S.D. B.C. CAT#
.358" 225 gr TSX FB .251 .405 35824

Rifleman,
Thanks - I'll get some and try. I already have the sabots. Likely this is where the 22 twist will shine. I have only killed 2 deer with Barnes 250 MZ bullets and was very impressed with their terminal performance. Likewise, their 40g varmint and 53g deer bullets in 224 have been extremely accurate and very effective in my Sav 223. All experiences with Barnes have been great so I will certainly give their products a thorough evaluation in the 10-ML-2 and its modified 45 version. Only reason I haven't already is my fairly large, though significantly depleted, supply of 250 & 200 blemished SSTs.

My next firearm will be a .45 cal SMI. Actualy I already have the action I just need to get ahold of them to build me a barrel.
After a conversation I had a a graduation party last night I think that I got them 4 or 5 customers in the next few weeks. Guys that have been trying to get me to sell them my Savage's are now suposedly just going to contact SMI instead of harassing me anymore.

45 Load

10X is showing great promise. Start at 55gs and plan on working up quite a bit. I think it may out-perform IMR-4198 in accuracy. It is slower. You will certainly need to use a chronograph. My most accurate load is @ 2490'/sec so far with 200SST/Harvester/209A.

Hey thanks for the info, I have been stocking up on sabots and bullets in anticipation of the arrival of me barrel. I wiil post results qhen it gets here.

Back