50 Cal. Pistol Newbie Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoseJavaho

Reaction score
I just received my CVA 50 Cal. inline pistol and was wondering if ffg T7 powder is a good one to start with? What would you guys recommend?

I shoot bh209 in both my cva optima pistols. 200-240 grain bullets on 60-80 grains by volume. But if i didnt have bh209 i would have no problem switching to T7. Probably keeping the loads very close to the same amount of powder. Just using a damp swab/dry swab between shots. I dont shoot them past 50yds yet so i expect results to be very similar to bh209.

I use T7 at the range in all of my guns right now including the Optima pistol. I've used 90 measured grains of 2F T7 with 240 grain XTPs with good success but currently I use 90 grain measured charge of T7 3F with a 225 grain Barnes XPB range with excellent results. For hunting I use a 63 grain weighed charge of BH209 with the same bullet and those 3f and bh209 loads shoot identical. You'll be fine with the ffg T7.

I don't have any powder yet. Seems most outlets around my area only have the Pyrodex on the shelves. Black Powder suppliers are lately selling out of a lot of stock. Thank you all for your input to help me get all dialed in with my inline CVA. I'll keep looking online for T7. I better go in with a buddy considering the Hasmat fee.

Pyrodex will work in your pistol if that's all you can get.
As with anything black powder related, prompt cleaning after a shooting session is best.
Be careful about ordering online because there's no end to scammers out there. Only buy from reputable companies.
Muzzle Loaders.com, Midway USA, Graf&sons, Buffalo Arms are a few good companies.
If they don't accept a credit card as payment, that's a Red Flag.

I have mine, a scoped gun, zero'd at 50 yards but shoot it religiously at all distances out to about 100. Most of my deer taken with the pistol have been under 30 yards. I weigh all of my hunting charges. Where I hunt I have a clear shot at around 95 yards in two directions but the deer seldom are seen in those directions so shots don't offer themselves much. The pistol is super accurate to 100 yards and if the opportunity ever arose, I am confident that I could kill at that range. I don't take any shots at a moving animal, especially with the pistol.

I also have my pistol sighted in at 50 yards.
I've only taken a few shots at 100 yards, which hit the target a few inches low, which I expected.
I feel confident to take a shot at a deer that far by adjusting my aim a bit but I would rather be closer.

Mine is also sighted in at 50yds. Where I intend to use it that's about the max range I can see.

Pistol is scoped with a red/ green dot.
Id love to see what that looks like if you have any pics of it.

Latest posts

Back