Any of You Going Out in This Cold/Seeing Anything??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm dying to get back out with my ML in IA, but this wind is insane, and the wife isn't going to be too happy going out on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. Curious if any of you who have been out are seeing any activity/being successful? I am getting a few pics on cameras I have in the woods where the wind isn't blowing as badly. I have a tower blind I could use, but I don't expect to see anything moving in open field areas with this cold and wind. I'm starting to regret getting Late Season ML tags in IA this year vs 1st gun season tags. I know it is supposed to warm up significantly, but that isn't good either. This wind has been a killer.

I'm in NW VA. It was 3 at the house last night. Way colder than usual for us. Haven't seen much movement, out the back door, that is. I'm not complaining yet. Power has been on and off, ours is currently on. I feel bad for the households that have been out for 24 hours plus. Hope they are managing to keep their homes heated.

late season opens on 26 dec. i will be out, its 10 deg right now, i think i will go in the thick brush, to blinds i got ,

I hunted this past Sunday. It was the opening day for the special antlerless season here in Oklahoma. It's closed in my county, so I had to drive 70 miles to the nearest WMA that's open. It's far but can use a gun.
Our weather is supposed to start warming up. 68 degrees by Thursday, I think they said on the news.
Deer season ends here on January 15th.
I'll most likely finish up hunting with the crossbow locally.

I hunted this past Sunday. It was the opening day for the special antlerless season here in Oklahoma. It's closed in my county, so I had to drive 70 miles to the nearest WMA that's open. It's far but can use a gun.
Our weather is supposed to start warming up. 68 degrees by Thursday, I think they said on the news.
My bow hunting is done for the year since I can't take another buck with one. Special CWD season opens up next weekend in my county here in N IL so I will be out there with the ML looking for a big boy. Will be hunting both IA and IL with the ML for the next few weeks, but I'm not seeing any bigger bucks on my trail cams in IA, just no food around my main location there. Might have to hunt another farm that is much more boring, but could potentially catch a big one going through the property to get to some food. This wind is just miserable up here. I want cold, but the strong winds generally put a major halt to deer movement.

Im in the thumb of Michigan and was going to go out this morning. I have a warm tower blind. It was 7 degrees with 20 mile an hour winds. I stayed home. My thought was Im 66 and if something happens and I get stranded in the woods Im in deep do do. So I think Ill go check for sign about 3:00 and if I see there has been movement Ill warm up the tower and stay till dark. The deer need to get out and feed sometime so Im hopeful. I passed on a group of 4 small fawns and a big doe before the storm. It was getting late and hard to sort out the big one from the little ones. The next morning I saw them at about 9.00. But the wind was right to them and the big doe knew something was up. So she stayed away. I have til Jan 1st.

Did you get your pipes thawed out?

I'm dying to get back out with my ML in IA, but this wind is insane, and the wife isn't going to be too happy going out on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. Curious if any of you who have been out are seeing any activity/being successful? I am getting a few pics on cameras I have in the woods where the wind isn't blowing as badly. I have a tower blind I could use, but I don't expect to see anything moving in open field areas with this cold and wind. I'm starting to regret getting Late Season ML tags in IA this year vs 1st gun season tags. I know it is supposed to warm up significantly, but that isn't good either. This wind has been a killer.
I was out with the .45 a few days ago enjoying temperatures in the high 30's. Jumped a BIG-rack at first light, but unfortunately he stopped 50 yards out in a Safety Zone. Funny how they know where they're safe.

No way for me. Twenty some years ago, I still had not filled my tag. I was feeling desperate. I hunted opening day of Indiana Muzzleloader season in windy, -20 degree weather. Nothing, not even birds was moving. I don't plan to ever go out in similar weather again.
If i see birds and skwirls out and about at home I’ll go out. They seem as good an indicator of deer movement as anything. When I don't see birds out at home I almost never see deer where i hunt, 10-12 miles away. So Monday Tuesday we’ll see whether the critter to stay home or go out.

I just took a lap around the country side. Housatoses I guess. I did see fresh tracks in the bottoms where the wind isnt blowing. They may have been other places but the wind has filled those tracks in. I think they will have to move to eat so Im going for it about 3:00. I have to try. I think if you have food out of the wind or in a wind protected area you need to hunt.

I'm getting pics of deer moving in both IA and IL (haven 't seen anything big today)- temps around 5/-30 wind chill. Very sunny here, so I think they are out moving around but like I said before, I can't take a buck right now in IL so I won't be going out. I'm hoping to escape the house Christmas night around 6/7, head to IA, and then hunt Monday morning. Supposed to be in the mid-teens with some flurries-sounds good to me.

Back