Any of You Going Out in This Cold/Seeing Anything??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out yesterday and saw a spike in the morning, but nothing else the rest of the day. It was on the low 20’s in the morning and got colder as the day went on. The wind picked up around 1pm and it started to snow. Everything calmed down about an hour before sunset and the squirrels came back out right at sunset. On the ride home we saw quite a few deer moving.

Little chilly up to 19 ,saw 2=5 by 8:30 and watched one bed after running 40 yds ,I suck being cold up in a tree and shooting off hand . Got out of tree after 1 hr watching her get up move 30 ft and lay back down . going back out around 3pm and sneak up on her incase she needs help passing on to warmer green pastures/Ed

It was 10 when i climbed out of the truck yesterday morning. Past on a 3 year 8 pointer, small doe, & a bobcat. Hunted off a standing corn field in the evening and saw a lot of does but positioned with no shooting lane. Back at work today off early tomorrow and back after it.

Little chilly up to 19 ,saw 2=5 by 8:30 and watched one bed after running 40 yds ,I suck being cold up in a tree and shooting off hand . Got out of tree after 1 hr watching her get up move 30 ft and lay back down . going back out around 3pm and sneak up on her incase she needs help passing on to warmer green pastures/Ed
The good news is she didn't need help, she's in a better place (my freezer) ! I ranged her @114 yds with my cast Lyman plains over 90 gr OE 3F , like I said I was back a little but she never moved 3 beds with in 10 ft and 6 hrs later the ravens told me I had a passenger for the ride home . A late night but I'm done so now I'm back on squirrels and ice fishing !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0538[1].JPG
    IMG_0538[1].JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0539[1].JPG
    IMG_0539[1].JPG
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0541[1].JPG
    IMG_0541[1].JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
The good news is she didn't need help, she's in a better place (my freezer) ! I ranged her @114 yds with my cast Lyman plains over 90 gr OE 3F , like I said I was back a little but she never moved 3 beds with in 10 ft and 6 hrs later the ravens told me I had a passenger for the ride home . A late night but I'm done so now I'm back on squirrels and ice fishing !!!
Impressive shot and meat in the freezer. Couldn't be any better bo. Congratulations

The deer are moving here in east TX and at my camera locations in Oklahoma, but I don’t appreciate cold weather and won’t be venturing out. My trip up to my OK place last week reinforced why I try to get my deer killing done in October. 🥶
I been riding 55 and 4 Miles per hour on my quad during this cold snap and sean plenty of deer here in NC. I'm wrapped up like a pump house though, lol

We drove home well after sunset from a Christmas dinner that was 50 miles away yesterday. There was some light snow falling with a moderate wind, and about a 4-degree temperature. We could see into the fields fairly well and spot deer out and about. I think Minnesota's over-all harvest numbers are down this year and the number of deer we saw last night would be a reflection of that. Just amazing in some places to see maybe fifty deer at a time.

Our archery season is all that remains of the regular seasons but I think there's another CWD hunt yet in January. It seems the harder the state tries to get rid of deer, the more the deer prevail. I think new-hunter recruitment is suffering while at the same time older hunters are leaving the woods. Personally, I feel that all of the CWD toxin that the state spews, more "newer" hunters are just leery of taking a deer and more of the seasoned hunters who rely on processors are put out by the restrictions and fears that have closed many of them down with regards to deer processing.

Deer licenses here are expensive at $35.00 for the primary tag [buck or doe, one buck limit] and $19.00 for management or intensive harvest tags [antlerless only]. Muzzleloader primary tags and antlerless are the same pricing as the regular season tags. Yet the state hands out the CWD tags [either sex] for about $2.00 or, in some instances, even free. I think if the state wants to see better hunter numbers, they should find some equilibrium between the regular license costs and those for CWD hunts so that tag pricing isn't keeping numbers down on the seasoned hunter end... just make the cost fairer for people. It just seems like Minnesota tries harder to chase good hunters away than to keep them.
I'm in NC and read we have a few cases of cwd towards the mountains. I believe that the "deer farms" and "buck management" part of modern hunting is the fault. These people just farm raise and only shoot the geneticly modified bucks. Then travel back to their state spreading the damn cwd. I may be wrong, just my theory. I rather shoot a decent doe or natural swamp buck any day, versus a farm raised billy goat

Temperature in the 60’s with gusts in the 20 mile and hour range here in Missouri. I probably won’t hunt tonight. I saw 7 antlerless deer yesterday, they were eating up all the acorns they could find.

Congrats! Late season deer always seem to taste better.:lewis:

Back