Assemble...Sight...15mins...50yds. (Crossbow)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

After reading all of the hype on other forums about what crossbows are, and are not capable of, I thought some might like to see an honest report from a bowhunter that has actually shot one.

Melissa and I recently purchased a crossbow so that she can now hunt with me during bow season. While I will continue to bowhunt I also plan on using the crossbow on some days when she can't make it out.

The point of this thread however is simply to give you an honest idea of what these things really are capable of. (Keep in mind we purchased a very high quality crossbow and the average crossbow would probably not be quite as good...but still the general basis will hold true.)

I will keep this short and simple since anyone that has learned to bowhunt will know full well how much work it takes to get a bow tuned, sighted, and shooting well, as well as how much time it takes to develop a decent shooting form.

The comparison...

I bought the crossbow this week over the internet, assembled it myself, and had never fired it or any other crossbows for that matter, prior to today. After arriving at the range today I spent less than 10 minutes, taking only 7 or 8 shots to sight it in. (It was off by more than a foot on the first shot)

I then strolled out 50 yds from my target.... And realizing that the ballistic reticle in the scope only had target dots for 20-30-40 yds I estimated that the distance to the lower post at the bottom of the reticle looked well proportioned for use as a 50yd "guestimate" holdover. I then aimed for the upper right 1" bullseye ...50 yds away....and let fly!!

In less than 20 minuntes time, and despite using a "guestimate" for a holdover...my very first shot at 50yds...missed the 1" bull by less than 1". :shock:

JC

(And yes, this type of accuracy is very repeatable...)
2803.jpg

That is some very good shooting there. Crossbows are kind of cool IMO.

Many years back, a friend of mine bought a high end cross bow. I think his is a Hoyt. He then mounted an expensive RED DOT scope on it. I was at his house one afternoon and we were shooting it. I was very impressed with the accuracy of the thing. We were only shooting out to 35 yards with it, but it did a lot better then I ever thought it would. Actually, when he shot off a bench rest with it, he was killing his bolts.

The only thing I can not figure out is, crossbows are illegal in Wisconsin without a doctor's approval. And this guy was not injured in any way. He claimed he wanted it to simply target shoot with. And I never saw him hunt with it.

There were plans once in some magazine once on how to build a crossbow at your home, like they did in medieval days. I was always going to try to do that. I did build a Atalta once, but must have made the shafts wrong as it never seems to work too well for me. But it was a lot of fun playing with it. And when we were kids we used to gather curved throwing sticks, smooth them down, and I was pretty deadly with them actually.

I might look into a cross bow later this year. I injured my shoulder to the point that drawing my fancy compound bow is painful. Most my shots are 35 yards and under, so a crossbow would do just fine.

Nice going! It's always great when a range session goes that smoothly, be it with bullets or arrows. BTW, what particular crossbow did you get? I saw one at Bass Pro last week, it was a Desert Stryker. That thing was sweet and compact for a crossbow. I would like to own one someday also.

Nic,

I got the Defender CLS.

I looked at the Desert Stryker but I liked the Defender quite a bit more. Additioanally the Styker brand is not a company I wanted to do business at this point as there previous model, the Styker, was an absolute nightmare for all involved having had some serious design issues.

JC

I have hunted with several different brands over the years, including a tenpoint that is about 7 years old. To me, the trigger makes all the difference in the world. I used one by a major crossbow manufacturer that was all but impossible to hold on target while shooting. I missed 2 deer with it in a week before my father took pity on me and let me use his tenpoint to take a deer late in the week. I hear the triggers of all manufacturers have come a long way in the last ten years, but make sure you do your research before buying.

That being said, I still go back to my hoyt in archery season here in VA, where we can use either.

I am using a Ten point trigger which is regard as one of the better triggers in the industy.

JC

I have a Ten Point Stealth 11 and a Desert Striker (Bow Tech) both are fine bows either of the 2 are made anymore, Yes they are accurate I have been using one for 8 years . In Wi. we can use one when we reach 65. I have never missed or lost a deer with one but farthest shot was 30 yards, THEY ARE NOT A RIFLE but a bow.
RC

Crossbow

Doe to my disability I have been using a crossbow about 10 years. I have a Hunter (Now called 10 Point) 165# pull with Accu-Draw (crank) to cock it with. A Horton 4 power scope with multiple crosshairs on top. Crosshairs set at 20,30,40,45 and 50 yard increments. Accuracy at all ranges is awesome! Bolt hits where crosshair is pointing with no problem. Took one doe at 63 yards one time when conditions were perfect. A little on the heavy side to carry around but mostly I sit in bling and wait anyway.

Enjoy that crossbow, they are fun!

Comming out of the closet...

I bought a Excaliber Vortex, a 200# recurve, mounted a Hawke SLR scope with the four circles, and has a lighted , green or red reticle. DO NOT SHOOT AT THE SAME SPOT more than once at 50 yds.. unless you wanna buy more arrows.. there is a smallish antelope buck fooling around on our lawn this evening.. my wife is afraid he'll eat her trees.. archery season ( includeing crossbows) is open...I have three tags.... really don't want him, but if the pressure gets great enough...????? Les

Xbow

have a 150 pound legend made by Horton that is perfect for me. I ONLY shoot 50 yards on a target. 48 is my range w/ the Xbow. 50 is doable but it must be perfect set up and I have never felt or seen perfection.

Latest posts

Back