Newby here, hoping someone can help me.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very difficult to say, because every rifle - whether sidelock, modern ML, or modern centerfire - is different, and every rifle has bullet/powder combinations that it likes, and combinations that it doesn't like. For reasons that are hard to understand, often two identical rifles will have different preferences. Part of the fun is getting your particular rifle figured out.

Having said that, most rifles seem to tune up more easily with sabots, while full-bore bullets tend to be a bit finicky because you have to get the fit between bullet and bore exactly right. Others on this site have much more experience with modern muzzle-loaders than I do, so I will defer to their recommendations.
Just bought me a inline did some research and came up with my opinion that I will not use a sabot , just me I came up with using the bore drivers fxt with 777 ffg. After help with powder charges I'm happy with my conclusion. I've been shooting for 3 wks and loving it.

Last edited:
Need 209 Magnum CcI & Federal or Winchester /Cheddite Shotgun primers to ignite Blackhorn reliably. Always pack powder bullet the same Firm pressure.
Honestly, I know, & respect that mine will go off. Dry powder, (BH 209) good primer (CCI or Federal 209 magnum Shotgun or Winchester 209 my favorite)
Verified clean dry breech-plug. Visual & 2-3 caps
Took me a few years but I know that joker gonna fire, CVA P45, Accura LR 45 ,
Traditions 45, CVA50 Bolt
I leave it loaded during season until needed, best left in vehicle in case if safe between trips due to moisture condensation.

One of my mottos is load it in the cold,keep it in the cold, shoot it in the cold. My Optima dearly loves the 300 grn Thor in if IIRC a .503 diameter. 100 grns Black Horn and Federal 209A primer. They are however rather pricey. Couldn't say price wise how they compare with the Pb's.To save on expense I'd recommend loading up and doing your grouping work with FFT7 with a 300 grn xtp. If you get a good group sighted in you can then switch over to the Thor.My Optima takes the short smooth Harvester sabot. Hope this helps. Of course there's other bullets you could also try.

Back