Ball Point -- 50 grain Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning the ball point bullet was captured again, however this time 50 grain Blackhorn was burned. Same Omega rifle, same crush rib sabot , and same W209 primer. Same 25 yard distance, and same 3/8" plywood with a carpet sample glued to it

The bullet split the back of the front jug, did more damage to the second jug i.e. destroyed it, went through the third, and fourth jugs, and bounced off the fifth jug, which was left leaking, standing on the horse. It was kinda unusual to find the second jug more damaged than the first jug. The bullet was not readily found, being in the snow. The metal detector was used to locate the bullet in the snow. Where the bullet was found is marked by the red X in the photo.

IMG_2727.JPG

The bullet weighed 282.7 grain before it was shot; now it weighs 282.1 grain. It appears the ball weighs about 0.6 grain.

Yesterday i wrote
Well, i am 99% sure the bullet wouldn't work if the charge were 50 grain Blackhorn.
Obviously i was 100% wrong.

IMG_2724.JPG

Ron, continued thanks for your time and efforts..
Based from what I learned from the lead bullet with 50gr when we experimented with a 50 conical HP size. The HP diameter and the associated mass/material of the ojive/nose is critical to the HP expanding.
This copper bullet has a more pointed shape (less nose mass) than a typical ML bullet we see which has a larger HP hole. Also, like others it seems to be swaged/broached in the HP making process to allow the pedals to shear equally. This particular bullet's HP seems to be shallow in total HP depth compared others you've tested - I believe that's why we see so much shank below the expansion.
Thanks again.

Thanks again!

I'm going to have to shoot those bullets in the 50 cal muzzleloaders to see what kind of accuracy I can get. When I weighed them on my RCBS 505, many were 285 grains with a few 1 grain light and a few 1 grain heavy.

The bullets sent me were all light. They seem accurate. Of course only shot them at 25 yard, but some attempts at capturing bullets are very difficult because the bullets fly every which way. The one bullet hit the paper target at the same place as the 300g XTP, and the two hit the jugs where i aimed. The accuracy of the bullet made the job easy. They also flew straight through the water jugs; did not veer off much. Some bullets fly straight through the air, but veer off a lot after impact.

Latest posts

Back