Barnes 275g TSX Bushmaster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3328.JPG

jsteurrys wished to see the Barnes 275g 450 Bushmaster shot using 50 grain Blackhorn powder; he sent three of these bullet.

IMG_3331.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and horse is 25 yard; powder charge was 50 grain Blackhorn.

IMG_3332.JPG

The last jug standing is the last jug. Water leaking shows the bullet went through the last jug. It veered high, and went over the top of the phone book, and was not found.

IMG_3336.JPG

A search using a metal detector was done; the bullet wasn't found. However, several other bullets were found a way up there in the timber

IMG_3341.JPG

Thank you for testing. From the holes in the jugs, does it look like the bullet expanded or just penciled on through? From the 2nd jug, it looked like it expanded to me.

Jim sent three bullet. Two were used to establish the aim. They made holes touching each other two inches high, and 3/4" left. My aim on the jugs was 3/4" right, and two inches low. The bullet hit exactly where i wanted it to, but after entering the jugs it went up, and left, and out. If i had more bullets, none would have to be shot for aim. No bullets would be shot at paper. Next try i would aim 3" low, and hope for success..... :think:

jsteurrys said:
..... From the holes in the jugs, does it look like the bullet expanded or just penciled on through? From the 2nd jug, it looked like it expanded to me.

Yes, i agree the second jug seems to indicate the bullet was affected. Me, i don't really know of course, but i think it did open some, but didn't open uniformly, and this is why it veered up, and some left??

Maybe tomorrow i can talk me into looking for the bullet some more, after looking for quite some time today, it kinda seems hopeless, but.....it would be such great fun to find it!!

jsteurrys said:
Thank you for testing. From the holes in the jugs, does it look like the bullet expanded or just penciled on through? From the 2nd jug, it looked like it expanded to me.

Just pulled this off another forum

My experience this year with the 275 TSX wasn't what I expected. They shot good out of my 22" Ruger but it didn't seem to expand. I shot a doe at 110 yards and it just went straight thru with very little to no expansion from what I could tell. I watched her run across a 350+ yard field with a double lung shot and ended up 30 yards into the woods.

I had talked with Chase at Barnes Bullets about reloading these bullets and he told me they had to be traveling at least 1200fps to expand properly.

I can send some more bullets for testing. This bullet is constructed differently than the 275 gr XPB. They do look very similar from a distance though.

Am willing to try catching the bullet a couple more times i guess. Will need two bullets. Failure is sure disgusting, but educational in it's own way i guess. To me it is kinda for sure, the bullet didn't fully open in this try, but......

I will get some more bullets in the Mail for testing this weekend. It should probably be tested with 80 gr also.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Are all those other bullets you found from tests? What are they from left to right?
These bullets probably were used to establish aim, and were not shot at the jugs.

1. ???
2. 63g Thor
3. 250g XTP
4. 160g Thor
5. 250g XTP jacket
6. 185g TAC-XP

Latest posts

Back