Northern Precision Pin-Point Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When thy don’t pass 80gr at point blank - they aren’t going to pass Ron’s 50gr test - when they slow.
Summary of Ron’s 50gr test.
Note that most ‘tipped’ bullets fail.
View attachment 18924

The tip of a bullet can greatly affect the energy transferred to a target, and also the expansion of the front of the bullet.

A friend tried shooting some Tannerite and it did not give him the result he expected. (Nothing happened)
I then asked him if he had used a plastic tipped bullet. He looked surprised and said... "Yes."
I had encountered the same problem in the past.

Some bullets have small cuts around the base of the bullet tip in order to help with expansion. Without these cuts the bullet tip can act like the nosecone on a fighter jet. It pushes the tissue of the animal to the side, instead of flattening the front of the bullet.

I greatly appreciate all of the bullet testing that Ron Laughlin has done in the past and shared with the rest of us. This is an example of one of the best things about this forum. There are many here willing to share what they have learned with others. Thanks to all of you for that.
As a retired Science teacher, I am going to give Ron an A+ on his science project.

If I'm not mistaken some of the fury bullets, which I'm such a fan of, did the same thing,,, I think if that bullet hit a deer shoulder first before it went into soft tissue you might see a completely different result. I will experiment on some hog shoulders first,, again for Target work I'm in love with the bullet I guess it remains to be seen if it's effective hunting,, I like learning and is just all part of the process
Have you put any of these thru a hog yet?

I have not ,I hope to later on this month,, just ordered another 150 of them,, I'm confident in that bullet but again it's from an accuracy lens that I look at the world,, try the bonded version if you're worried about it performing,, don't order any of the sharp points I want the next 3 or 400 jackets that he has left to be built for my own stock up!!

If you go back in search here and look at 250 star tip fury test you'll see similar results, I have shot a lot of deer with that bullet and a bunch of hogs, and I've had it just devastate deer, I've yet to have it just blow through a deer and not destroy the deer or the hog again I wouldn't give up on this bullet yet. Check out the videos and results from the star tip almost exactly the same,, I became such a star tip fanatic again because of its constant accuracy I think you'll find similar results with this bullet
Just went and finally shot the .402 star tips out of my “new to me” MR-X, that some very kind person basically gave me 😉. They shot great. They will be my hunting bullets. I’m the type of person that once I find a setup I like, I stick with it. Also @Mnt monkey, I’m with you on placement over performance…and I think every patch & round ball hunter will confirm that a bullet does not need to expand to provide a clean kill. Would I rather the bullet open up and perform…absolutely but it’s not totally essential either. I mostly just shoot a whitetail doe or two a year and that is my big game for the year. They’re not exactly known for being tough animals either. Big bull elk or big giant buck…I’d be a little more concerned about bullet performance in those instancesC7B8F11E-DFF7-42E1-B3A5-5810B0D9B744.jpeg
Only did a rough load development (72-76gn by weight in 1gn increments), shot pretty damn good at 75 & 76gn. The group above was a 3 shot group at 76gn with the Fury.402 star tip harvester light blue sabots and using Hankins DI modules with Winchester LRP. Next time out, I’ll reconfirm the load works and also get some chrono data

If you go back in search here and look at 250 star tip fury test you'll see similar results, I have shot a lot of deer with that bullet and a bunch of hogs, and I've had it just devastate deer, I've yet to have it just blow through a deer and not destroy the deer or the hog again I wouldn't give up on this bullet yet. Check out the videos and results from the star tip almost exactly the same,, I became such a star tip fanatic again because of its constant accuracy I think you'll find similar results with this bullet
Great post, perspective & point.

Latest posts

Back