Northern Precision Pin-Point Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_5628.JPG

Bullet was furnished by Mnt monkey.

Bullet measured 0.451" diameter.

IMG_5630.JPG

Bullet shot into bottles in hopes of capture. Powder charge = 80 grain Blackhorn. Distance from muzzle to bottles = 25 yard.

IMG_5629.JPG

VIDEO

Bullet went through all six bottles; bounced off the magazine stack; was found in the grass about three feet right of horse near the rear.

First three bottles were destroyed; fourth bottle was split; last two bottles holed.

IMG_5633.JPG

IMG_5634.JPG

IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5635.JPG

Even at 80gr
My confidence in bullet makers continues to decline. I hope they aren’t advertising this as a hunting bullet.
Thanks for your efforts.

Last edited:
25 yards. Bullet not out of first gear yet? Saw it's shadow, said 6 more weeks of winter and crawled back in it's jacket? To be fair, it does nail a seasons limit of water jugs in one shot though. So maybe not the first choice for hunting?

Do spire/spitzer points such as this offer better ballistics when target shooting?

Target shooting for me the bullet has been phenomenal, that's why I wanted to see how the expansion test came out,, I'm still going to shoot a deer with it,, I'm not inspired by the bullet test performance,, but I'm absolutely inspired by the bullets accuracy ,I can put this bullet behind a deer's ear or in his eyeball or anywhere on his body I choose,,, I'm very much in the accuracy over bullet performance camp,, however I want to know what the bullets that I'm shooting will do I think all of us do,,, I enjoy the bullet testing videos, and the performance reports.

Headshots... Yeah...
I have a nice 9 pointer on my wall, that a guy headshot and didn't have the courtesy to follow up.
The bozo was on the backside of a small rise, so I didn't see him.
I had my crosshairs on the buck's chest when BANG!
I saw spray around his head and he took off.
The bozo just sat there. No attempt to check the results of the shot. I shouted over " You hit him". He got up and walked towards where the buck had been.
I cut back the way I came, and I spot a drip drop blood trail. It was getting late, but tracking practice is always good, so I follow it.
Drip drop and a big spray full of clots. What the? Now I'm curious, so I follow it. About every 60-75 yards, a big spray. Followed it a LONG way. The deer was strong. No wobbles, or bouncing off things, it knew where it was going.
I stick my head between a couple Russian olive bushes and seen a deer, quartering away, head down at a little trickle. " Urrp!" Up came his head, FINE buck, down went the hammer on my .30-30.
Flop.
I walk up and... It was the head shot buck! Bozo couldn't/ wouldn't/didn't follow a blood trail that anyone could've.
His bullet entered the spongy area in front of the deer's left eye, if you've seen a deer skull you know what I'm talking about, and broke rhe right jaw at the bend.
That buck would've suffered a long time before he died.
Please don't take headshots. These magnificent animals are not targets. They feel pain. They do suffer a poorly place shot. We owe them the fastest, most humane death possible. Too much can go wrong with a headshot.
Please don't take headshots.

If you read my comments again just trying to express the bullets accuracy potential not trying to inspire people to shoot deer in the head my friend. I am all about bullet placement not bullet performance I've made that clear in the past I will stay in that camp. I usually shoot deer exactly where I mean to shoot them,, that depends on the situation,, my best friend has shot every day he's killed probably in the last 20 years either in the neck or the head,, they've dropped on the spot.. I have seen just as many deer hit in the heart lungs do exactly as you describe which suffers more a heart lung slow death wound ?or a brain or neck not hit well? I don't know if I have that answer,, I believe the truth is though that a bad hit is a bad hit no matter where you meant to hit that deer. The point tip Northern precision 451 bullet tested in this post is highly accurate that is all I wanted to focus on,, again I appreciate your words

25 yards. Bullet not out of first gear yet? Saw it's shadow, said 6 more weeks of winter and crawled back in it's jacket? To be fair, it does nail a seasons limit of water jugs in one shot though. So maybe not the first choice for hunting?

Do spire/spitzer points such as this offer better ballistics when target shooting?
LMAO awesome!

I understand, and appreciate you're emphasis on accuracy. But terminal performance is equally important. Give me a choice between a bullet that shoots into an inch at 100 yards, but fails to expand reliably, and one that does 3 inches but makes a deer's chest all gooey... Guess which one I'm ramming when I put the orange on? Happily for me, in my rifle, the 45 Hornady 250 and 300 grain ( non magnum 300) XTPs do both!
A bullet that doesn't expand is a problem though. Could've been a fluke, that one.
Historically though,there have been full metal jacketed bullets that, even though non- expanding, did incredible damage because they pitch/yaw VERY quickly after impact. The British MKVII ball for the .303 and the Russian 5.45 ball come to mind.
My comment about headshots wasn't meant personally. But there are those who, for whatever reason, try them. Been seeing an increasing number of headshot deer videos lately. Not exactly tasteful... Such things can inspire folk to try it even though they, or their rifles, aren't up to the task. To me, its not an ethical shot. I accept opinions, and results, vary.

I respect different opinions and I appreciate yours,, I've seen deer hopping around on three legs with a shoulder blown off more than once, I have seen deer hit because the shooter was nervous a little too far behind the shoulder and the guts all blown up,, I assure you these are just as miserable to the deer as a poor neck or headshot,, actually I've seen more deer hit poorly from chess shots then I ever have from neck or head,, I'm of the opinion that a poor shot or a poor hit it's just what it says,, a poor hit,,,, all of us if we've hunted all of our lives have made shots we were ashamed of you and me,, and I agree to show respect to the animal is to make a quick efficient shot,, as I mentioned I make that determination in the moment where I'm going to shoot . A bad upper body shot it's just as bad as a poor neck or headshot. You'll never convince me otherwise

If I'm not mistaken some of the fury bullets, which I'm such a fan of, did the same thing,,, I think if that bullet hit a deer shoulder first before it went into soft tissue you might see a completely different result. I will experiment on some hog shoulders first,, again for Target work I'm in love with the bullet I guess it remains to be seen if it's effective hunting,, I like learning and is just all part of the process

There is a big difference between shooting a bullet into water and into a deer.
It would be good to see some other bullets put through the same exact test as the one above.

Let's not throw the baby (the Northern Precision bullet) out with the bathwater, at this point in time.

I ordered a batch this week. When they get to me, I will also do some testing.

If they fail the testing, I will have some good target bullets on hand.
A guy who bought one of my high velocity smokeless muzzleloaders said he bought the rifle because of the targets I had shot with my rifles.
You can always switch to another bullet for the final zero and hunting.

Many of us waste a lot of good bullets re-zeroing a new scope, etc.

After experiencing the lack of primers, powders, and bullets during the last two years, I am glad to get any kind of bullet at a reasonable price.

The gentleman that runs Northern precision has a lot of other bullets he also sent me some 350 grain lead tips and some nice 44 cal bullets as well as some 400 grain 452 bullets,, I like physical experiments and of course I like to see a bullet perform on live game, I highly value other perspectives too iron sharpens iron if we let it!!

There is a big difference between shooting a bullet into water and into a deer.
It would be good to see some other bullets put through the same exact test as the one above.
Well Ron has done hundreds of tests, and many many perform excellent under the exact same setup, where that one failed pretty miserably, imo.

If you go back in search here and look at 250 star tip fury test you'll see similar results, I have shot a lot of deer with that bullet and a bunch of hogs, and I've had it just devastate deer, I've yet to have it just blow through a deer and not destroy the deer or the hog again I wouldn't give up on this bullet yet. Check out the videos and results from the star tip almost exactly the same,, I became such a star tip fanatic again because of its constant accuracy I think you'll find similar results with this bullet

When thy don’t pass 80gr at point blank - they aren’t going to pass Ron’s 50gr test - when they slow.
Summary of Ron’s 50gr test.
Note that most ‘tipped’ bullets fail.
E0CAB5F9-D20D-4CE5-9DA3-7AC48D7953C4.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back