Best load for best accuracy with CVA ACCURA LRX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonySarver

Reaction score
What’s the best load for accuracy with a Cva accura lrx mostly doing whitetail hunting. Would also like to know can I push this gun to a 300 yard mark that would be the farthest shot I could get.

All guns are as individual as you and I. What load does good in one may not do well in the gun made right after or before it. Each of us has to take his gun to a range and shoot multiple loads to find the best for that rifle.

Shooting to 300 yards is going to require accuracy not velocity. Then Practice. Im sure it can be done.

Start with carefully measured mid range powder charges and work up 3-5 grains at a time. When Im helping others with this process on CF guns I tell them the gun speaks to me. As you shoot different charges your groups will get bigger or smaller. Your gun is telling you what it likes or dislikes. If you cant get the group you want you may have to try different powder, primer, bullet, sabot, lube, combinations. Its a process especially to get good groups at 300 yards. Take your time, keep notes, and if it doesn't all happen in one range session dont be discouraged. Its likely your gun will do everything you want it to. Just need to put in the time.

If you want more specific info PM with some questions.

What is your scope setup?

On my Accura MRX I had to throw the factory included rail, rings, and scope in the trash one by one chasing accuracy. I will never use the factory included scope & hardware again on a gun. The gun was basically unusable with the included package due the to large and unpredictable groups from everything moving around.

Well I hope I don’t have the issue with rail and scope I bought one that was set up by muzzleloader.com. We will see shortly working on load development today with my knight tk2000 for turkey season. Back to the Accura though what’s the better bullet weight. I hunt whitetail so I assumed 250 grain would do but are the heavier bullets more accurate???

Mine is shooting 2-3 MOA at 100yards (baseball sized group) with 80 grains of triple 7 and a 300 grain Hornady SST.

I am putting a nearly identical scope package on my Knight to compare

I would pull the scope off and threadlock the scope rail screws.

My rail was put on with no thread locker, and my scope rings slipped around pretty badly. Get everything torqued down and pencil mark the scope to see if it’s moving.

The rail CVA ships with them is a Durasight that is one step above pot metal. Cant understand whey they offer reasonably good rail for the Paramount line and all Durasight cast junk for the ML line.

My CVA came with the one piece Durasight rail/scope mount. I wasn’t comfortable letting the hammer down with gloves on with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope mounted in the Durasight. I got an EGW rail, high Warne rings and mounted the Nikon. Prefer the scope mounted lower to the rifle but didn’t want to the drop the hammer unexpectedly. Patriot won’t have that issue!

I had sent in my Optima V2 barrel to be checked last year, and they sent me a new gun with a Konus scope. I still had the Burris (and stock) from the original gun. I shot with the Konus only once since then. In preparing for the season this year, I wanted to check the eye relief because I had just finished mounting a scope on a new bolt action rifle. As soon as I looked through it I knew something was wrong. It was well off vertically. In loosening the ring screws I discovered they were quite loose, as were the mount screws. I pulled everything off to remount, degrease, loctite, and torque. Happy now.

I recommend you check your scope ring and mount screws.

Anyone looking for a Konus 3-9x40 or an Optima V2 stock?

Back