LRX Accuracy improvement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you make an adjustment and get that kind of improvement it inspires me, in the meantime the suspense is killing me,,, good shooting on your part!

I like to build the suspense. Also, i had to get another order in before i shared. There were multiple things i changed up but fortunately i like data enough to burn up a little money while testing things out.

1) the forearm was very loose. I assumed this was just poor tolerances in production and ignored it originally. I ended up tightening up the two forearm screws quite a bit. I also ditched the lead sled and used some bipods. My first load today was the same as last week and i saw my vertical spread go from about 9” to 6-7”.

2) @Mnt monkey your comment on your gun liking 70 gr dictated my next adjustment, since these are 300s instead of 250s i went with 71 grains. It seemed to really like that (as you can see).

Next range day i plan to be shooting 69-73 in 0.5 gr increments with a chrono, so more data to come.

Load in my profile pic:
Federal 209a primers
71 grain by weight (my scale is accurate to +\- 0.1) blackhorn 209
Harvester crush rib sabots
Parker balistic extreme 300 gr bullets

It's always good to experiment more ,,but it looks like you have a workable load to me,, good shooting again,, cva 28 twist 50 cal rifle shoot well!!!

When i bought the LRX i was shooting for 4” at 200 yards, scoped with good rest, Because itll open up when i move off the bench and switch to rifle sights. So im happy with that and if i cant get any better thatll be ok but im going to try!

Regarding that loose forearm, I had a CVA that shot better when I put the screw in loosely then put camo duct tape around the forearm and barrel. It would then shoot MOA at 100 yards. However, with that your kind of 200 yard grouping, I don't think d change a thing!

@deerlessbob I was a little surprised how loose that forearm was, even the set screw was loose.

I still have some other bullets to test simply because I already bought them and for science! I did shoot a few of the Fury bullets at the 80 gr BH and it did not love them, the grouping wasn't terrible but not any better. I have some TC shockwaves to try out and I did not try the Barnes with the reduced load or try swapping in the Harvester sabots. But these might be projects for next year as I need to focus on my load for the elk trip.

I was worried about my velocity and effective range with this charge but I found some velocity data for 70 gr BH pushing a 300 gr projectile, they saw around 1900 fps. Obviously my gun won't be exactly the same but with the 30" barrel I'm not worried and an online ballistic calculator put my effective range for elk around 200 yards. Will do some confirmation with a chrono and a penetration test with some ballistic gel.

I like to build the suspense. Also, i had to get another order in before i shared. There were multiple things i changed up but fortunately i like data enough to burn up a little money while testing things out.

1) the forearm was very loose. I assumed this was just poor tolerances in production and ignored it originally. I ended up tightening up the two forearm screws quite a bit. I also ditched the lead sled and used some bipods. My first load today was the same as last week and i saw my vertical spread go from about 9” to 6-7”.

2) @Mnt monkey your comment on your gun liking 70 gr dictated my next adjustment, since these are 300s instead of 250s i went with 71 grains. It seemed to really like that (as you can see).

Next range day i plan to be shooting 69-73 in 0.5 gr increments with a chrono, so more data to come.

Load in my profile pic:
Federal 209a primers
71 grain by weight (my scale is accurate to +\- 0.1) blackhorn 209
Harvester crush rib sabots
Parker balistic extreme 300 gr bullets
I just bought the same gun for an upcoming deer hunt. I went with the Parker 275gr Ballisitc Extreme. I appreciate all the info, I will start at 70gr and work my way up. Thanks all.

Back