Knight and CVA option

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Wheeler

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve been looking into first muzzleloader. I’m planning to purchase a 50 cal that is CO legal.

I want to be able to run the Williams FP sight.

I have it narrowed down to the Knight UL, Mountaineer or the CVA LRX.

New it is looking like around $940 for UL, $900 for mountaineer or $600 for LRX.

I was curious if anyone thinks the Knights are truly worth the $300-$350 more? The CVA looks good too but without shooting either I’m not sold. I am also concerned with recoil on the Knight UL which is why I was looking at the mountaineer but maybe that’s not a big deal. I shoot magnums for centerfire.

Would love any feedback or ideas on these options. Thank you everyone!

-Kyle

I haven't seen much down talk for the Optima LRX in .50 cal, the .45 "x" guns from CVA with barrels that have been made for the power belts that were specifically designed for the gun are the pits though. The CVA, I believe, is a simple conversion to caps if CO requires them. Maybe the gun is available as western legal gun.

For the Knights I think I'd spend some time on sales sites for a used gun that's gotten retrofitted with a decent aftermarket plug if you're ever going to do primers and then just pick up a western legal plug. They'll still be more expensive with the aftermarket primer plug, but they hold resale value very well.

Any of these guns will were a peep nicely.

What are your range needs or are you likely to take a long poke? The CVA will be a 1;28 barrel while the Knights may be a bit faster and offer more heavy bullets selections. If you're going to hold yourself to shots under 200 yards the CVA can get that done with an XTP in the 300-350 grain range using a sabot. If this is an every other year or maybe a once in a while type of hunt and you can hold yourself to shots under 200 the CVA would work ok.

Weight-wise the UL and Optima are going to be the lighter of the three.

I think you should ask a specific question in this same forum about the .50 LRX Optima and address bullets/sabot selection and use and go from there to see any or how many have had bullets issues, specifically in the 300 to 350 grain area. Weight the plusses and minuses.

I haven't seen much down talk for the Optima LRX in .50 cal, the .45 "x" guns from CVA with barrels that have been made for the power belts that were specifically designed for the gun are the pits though. The CVA, I believe, is a simple conversion to caps if CO requires them. Maybe the gun is available as western legal gun.

For the Knights I think I'd spend some time on sales sites for a used gun that's gotten retrofitted with a decent aftermarket plug if you're ever going to do primers and then just pick up a western legal plug. They'll still be more expensive with the aftermarket primer plug, but they hold resale value very well.

What are your range needs or are you likely to take a long poke? The CVA will be a 1;28 barrel while the Knights may be a bit faster and offer more heavy bullets selections. If you're going to hold yourself to shots under 200 yards the CVA can get that done with an XTP in the 300-350 grain range using a sabot. If this is an every other year or maybe a once in a while type of hunt and you can hold yourself to shots under 200 the CVA would work ok.

I think you should ask a specific question in this same forum about the .50 LRX Optima and address bullets/sabot selection and use and go from there to see any or how many have had bullets issues, specifically in the 300 to 350 grain area. Weight the plusses and minuses.
This is very helpful thank you! Besides here and Gunbroker where are good places to find a used one? I also need to look more into the aftermarket plugs as I am not sure why that would be needed so thank you for letting me know. I enjoy long range shooting so was hoping to max it out as far as possible with the Williams F sight not on game but steel. I was also planning to shoot 300-340 grains. Do you think 1 in 28 twist would be fine for 340 grains generally? Thank you again for this help. It is quite a bit different than centerfire or archery and I want to make sure I do not make a purchase I regret.

I've shot some 350 grain jacketed bullets in my Accura V2 50 and they shot great Its a 1:28. I just didn't care for the recoil.

I've shot some 350 grain jacketed bullets in my Accura V2 50 and they shot great Its a 1:28. I just didn't care for the recoil.
Understood! I was looking at accura V2 some as well. Overall do you think it’s a solid option? It seems priced extremely well and Williams said their FP should work on Accura I believe..

You have no doubt figured this out already. Colorado, if you plan to hunt there, is open sights and full bore conicals. Min of .50 for elk - so you’d be good. No ignition restrictions.
Thank you! That’s the plan is to hunt CO. Any insight on the CVA vs Knight? Appreciate you reaching out.

Do you think 1 in 28 twist would be fine for 340 grains generally?
I believe both of those Knight choices in .50 would be 1:28 twist. Same with the CVA. All would likely shoot a relatively (300-40ish gr) heavy conical. Would be nice to have a little faster twist though for anything much above that.

Got any bullets in mind yet?

I’ve never owned either. I’m a Savage, White, TC guy. But, from everything I know about CVA and Knight, I’d always spend a little more for a Knight.
Thank you! It does seem worth it for long term
I believe both of those Knight choices in .50 would be 1:28 twist. Same with the CVA. All would likely shoot a relatively (300-40ish gr) heavy conical. Would be nice to have a little faster twist though for anything much above that.

Got any bullets in mind yet?
I was wanting to try the Hornady bore driver 340 that is coming out and then try a copper option as well. I think it would stabilize Hornady did say 1/28. Still on the fence about the two the savings of the CVA is nice but I don’t think I would regret the Knight and leaning towards the mountaineer for the barrel and I like a little heavier generally.

Well as directed the CVA`s are geared towards the power belts these days unless you luck into one of the older Buck Horn Magnums or a HunterBolt If your set on the Bore Driver I will advise the Knight as the better option Good Luck and happy trails with whatever you choose

Well as directed the CVA`s are geared towards the power belts these days unless you luck into one of the older Buck Horn Magnums or a HunterBolt If your set on the Bore Driver I will advise the Knight as the better option Good Luck and happy trails with whatever you choose
Thank you so much! Very helpful

Is it only the "X guns" that CVA makes, for their powerbelts, or is it all the .45's?

The lrx will have a 30 inch barrel. The mrx has a 26 inch barrel. Mrx is a mountain rifle. Lighter weight for mountain hunting. Plus the Accura will have bergara barrel. I have the CVA Optima V2 50 LR nitride rifle. It has a 28 inch barrel on it. That thing is a tack driver. But i shoot the 250 gr sst out of it. I did get some 290gr bore driver bullets to try. I think cva has a western legal model rifle. Sight and other stuff. Accura should shoot a 350 gr xtp. I know hornady has the 340 gr eld x bullet out.

Take a good hard look at any used muzzleloader before plunking down money. Poor or no maintenance can be an expensive issue.

The Accura and Optima CVA V2 models can shoot full bore lead bullets to meet CO requirements. The Accura V2 is not a super heavy gun but the Optima will be lighter in the V2. The MRX in the Optima line with a 26 barrel at .50 would probably be the best CVA option but the Knights mentioned will have a greater resale if you chose to do so. Deer and elk will not have a brand preference, so that's on you.

With any of the CVA models should you go that route "new", I would get some JB bore paste and patches and dress the barrel well prior to sighting the gun. That'll take maybe 15 minutes and it will help assure the rifling is smooth and free of any chatter marks left during rifling. Lots of CVA barrels of late, Bergerra or otherwise, seem to be made in a hurry and leaving these marks. 4 different friends have started muzzy hunting with CVA inlines newer than two years old and every one of them had rifling that looked better after getting the JB treatment.

I have always shot Knights. I find them to be an accurate and dependable option for hunting here in the west. The Ultralite is the definitely the next Knight Im going to buy.

Latest posts

Back