BH209 vs 777 Revisted: What is a crud ring?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My local shop told me he is getting in a few cans of 8oz of BH 209 and that each can will be 80 bucks! I was at the range today and shot 777 FFg and I was still able to load three shots before swabbing…and even if I wasn’t, with a can of 777 for 38 bucks for a pound, how can I justify spending 80 on 8 ounces. Sort of nuts. Last two seasons I shot 777 because I could not find BH…every couple/three shots I run a quick clean patch followed by a dry patch…never had any issues…what exactly is the “crud ring” (like, literally, I have no idea what people mean by that} and what are the implications other than needing to swab more often, which is certainly not an issue while hunting and at the range, who is in such a rush!?

Sounds like you may be shooting caps. Try some 209s with that 777 and you’ll likely get a crud ring. A larger charge or different cap may even give you a little crud ring. Sounds like you’re getting one now with three shots? Which can make it impossible to seat the next bullet. And if you don’t clean 777 right away you can get a corrosion ring and have a really tough time removing your breech plug.

I’ll pay $80 all day long not to have to deal with any of those issues.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may be shooting caps. Try some 209s with that 777 and you’ll likely get a crud ring. A larger charge or different cap may even give you a little crud ring. Sounds like you’re getting one now with three shots? Which can make it impossible to seat the next bullet. And if you don’t clean 777 right away you can get a corrosion ring and have a really tough time removing your breech plug.

I’ll pay $80 all day long not to have to deal with any of those issues.
I am using CCI 209 primers…I am not even sure that I am getting one, I just swab, not that I have ever had a problem loading…

That crud ring builds up at about the point where the bullet sits against the powder charge.
It's a nice round circle of burnt powder. If allowed to build up enough, you won't be able to push the bullet all the way onto the powder, leaving a bit of a gap in between, which will affect accuracy.
Sounds like you're doing good though by swabbing the barrel every few shots.
Shouldn't be a problem hunting if you only take one or two shots.

At $80 a bottle i would pass also. I would shoot t7 if i could avoid that crud ring(hard crud build up right where the bullet would be seated)in my MLs. I bought a bunch of bh209 before the smaller more expensive bottles came out so I'm rationing it and getting into smokeless now. Sounds like you've got the t7 figured. Stay with what works.

(10/16 = 0.625) x 7000 = 4375gr
4375/77 = 56.8 shots per 10oz container @ $1.41 BH209/shot
Yeah, I think that I can live with the price to hunt/shoot while being frugal with each shot.
I would grab 3 containers and know that my adult kids are not receiving all of my stuff in liquid assets.
I've spent more than $80 in 1970s-80s monies just on food & alcohol first night in port. USMC '76-'86

There are other things that go boom in my life: 5.56, 6.5CM, 7mm-08, .308, 458/375/358 SOCOM,... I should have grabbed
that crate of M67s when my team had me covered. ;)

Try a muzzleloading specific primer. I noticed a significant buildup difference when I switched from a W209 to a T7 Winchester 209 muzzleloading primer.

Back