Black MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenman

Reaction score
New to site so if already posted sorry. Picked up a pound of alliant black mz last week while at sportsmans warehouse. They had it for $9 so i figured it be worth trying. Loaded it in my tc greyhawk. 60gr with .490 hornady round ball, .10 patch and no 11 cci. Shot it 8 times in a row, no swabbing, easy to load and consistant ignition. No hangfires or delays. Shot same point of aim as pyrodex rs. Ive read mixed reviews on it but in my few shots it seemed to work fine. Seemed to smoke a little more than pyrodex but without the smell. Residue in bore was more whitish grey than black. I normally take barrel off and do plunger method in hot soapy water. This time i just tried patches with 2 patches with a little tc bore cleaner on it. First patch looked like i swabbed my shotgun after a round on clays. Second patch very little. Two dry patches and spotless. Id say you can never have too many options. Its deff cleaner burning and easy to ignite. Ive never used bh209 but heard this was the bh209 for sidelocks. Only issue id say is it didnt flow through powder flask real smooth but a couple pushes of the lever and it came out

It wont match BH209 in performance and the chemical composition is about as different as you can get. Other than that it should work ok in a sidelock. Ignition temps are very low and its FAR less corrosive than Pyrodex.

Yeah i think its just a cleaner alternative to pyrodex for the sidelock shooter. Ive heard the bh209 is some awesome stuff. Just never had anything to shoot it in.

I've been using Black MZ in my Accura for a couple years now and I really like it. I haven't yet tried it in any of my sidelocks. The only thing about it that bugs me is how it clumps up. To get by this, rather then pouring out of a flask into a powder measure, I put my premeasured charges into tubes.

Back