blackhorn 209 vs triple 7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
believe it or not a cut piece of shot gun shell for a shim works well.

my bet is a shot shell's plastic is rated for much higher temperature than that blow mould plastic!

thanks for the tip!

as for offset rings? not familiar with them
can you provide a link or picture?

thanks
bob g

nevermind about the offset mounts
i did a search and i see what you mean now.

thanks
bob g

You rifle is pretty light and they have been known to blow up scopes. A friend of mine went through couple high end scopes with his encore pro hunter in 12 ga shooting slugs. If you have another scope that you know is good, you might want to put it on your ML.

Here is a trial mock up of an Omega with DNZ EER medium base and the scope you have. There is enough clearance between bell and barrel. I just so happen to have an extra mount in the classifieds on here.

0FE7A559-8A50-4789-9D6C-7CA7732F1EE5-5634-000005222E4FB287_zps1a51e00d.jpg

002CCC29-FB91-4267-9B71-49B529F05698-5634-000005221F10B277_zps38d0510c.jpg

While not an idea scope for a muzzleloader (IMO)it will work with the DNZ medium EER mount which is solid.

Omega45
is there enough clearance for the big end lens cap?

if so i am definitely interested in your mount

i will be testing this installation this weekend, if i have any more fussing with it, and i can determine that the scope is still good, then you will be getting a pm from me!

rattrapper

yes i am concerned about the integrity of this scope, i have the t/c 3-9 x 40 mounted on my cva wolf, and if necessary i will move it back onto this rifle to see if this bushnell is toast.

thanks for the tip

you guys are great!

bob g

If your speaking of lens caps I am not sure as I have no Butler Creek caps for this scope. A DNZ high mount will give you an extra 1/8th" of clearance than pictured. If you want the high mount let me know and I will put you in touch with the person with the best price.

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and this is my first post. Ive been following this topic and I feel this is the place to be when you have a modern muzzleloader I see you guys are very helpful here and it is comforting to know there are members on this forum that have great knowledge and experience. I almost bought an Omega but I found a Savage 10ML-II and just got it delivered yesterday. I hope you guys can give me some sound advice with the Savage to get me up and firing. I will be trying smokless powder that is recomended by Savage for sabboted bullets up to 300 grains. Anything over 300 grains I will be looking at BH209 or 777.

I need to let you guy's know that muzzleloading is all new to me and I want to learn it right the first time.

I hope I don't beat up here to bad if I made a wrong choice of a muzzleloader. :shock:

Omega45,
The DNZ mounts are some of the best built and are made for many rifles and muzzleloaders. The plant is about 35 miles from where I live and spoke to them about mounts about 9 months ago and they are very helpful. I will see if they make one for the Savage. If they do DNZ will be my first choice.

Henry

hwew said:
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and this is my first post. Ive been following this topic and I feel this is the place to be when you have a modern muzzleloader I see you guys are very helpful here and it is comforting to know there are members on this forum that have great knowledge and experience. I almost bought an Omega but I found a Savage 10ML-II and just got it delivered yesterday. I hope you guys can give me some sound advice with the Savage to get me up and firing. I will be trying smokless powder that is recomended by Savage for sabboted bullets up to 300 grains. Anything over 300 grains I will be looking at BH209 or 777.

I need to let you guy's know that muzzleloading is all new to me and I want to learn it right the first time.

Welcome,

You made a fine choice of a MZ. I don't have one but have read that it takes a while to identify the best loads. You may want to check in the Smokeless Section for suggestions. The one piece of advice I always give newbies to the sport is to be vigilant about cleaning. If you don't have time to clean properly, don't go shooting.

You have many options with the Savage. The somkeless game is a whole other topic. Good luck and have fun.

I hope I don't beat up here to bad if I made a wrong choice of a muzzleloader. :shock:

Omega45,
The DNZ mounts are some of the best built and are made for many rifles and muzzleloaders. The plant is about 35 miles from where I live and spoke to them about mounts about 9 months ago and they are very helpful. I will see if they make one for the Savage. If they do DNZ will be my first choice.

Henry

For what it worth I beleive that your scope maybe have failed but also it wounds like you are shimming just one end of your mount. This waill cause you problems since your scope is not level. These problem will compound over the yardages. Think of it like this. If your barrel is level to the ground and the front of your scope is higher than the back the line of sight goes off at an upward angle to the barrel. This get worst as the distance gets greater. Another thing to think about is when you move a scope in relation to the barrel the point of impact does the oppsite. Example: I changed from medium rings to low rings on my shotgun, one might think that lowering the scope would cause it to shoot low however it caused it to shoot high. Hope some of this helps.

I would go with the DNZ mounts also. I just put one my Omega an love them.
Ouestion for Omega 45 Where did you get that nice looking Lam. thumbhole stock?

i did not shim one ring, i shimmed the rail to barrel interface

i added 20 thousands of shim to raise the rail evenly front to rear, and in doing so raise the scope for clearance of the 50mm objective lens to the barrel

then i shimmed the rail with taper going from
zero in front, 2.5 thou in the middle and 5 thou at the rear, this tilts the scope down in the front which effectively raises the end of the barrel and should cause a higher point of impact.

the two rings are still in line with each other, and the scope is under no stress.

we shall see later today how this all works out.

bob g

Not sure what you ended up using for your shims, but I have had to shim a couple times over the years and peices cut from an aluminum can worked very well for me.

I agree with the others, its better to not have to shim if at all possible. I would think you should be able to find the right mount to handle what you are trying to do. Good luck.

yes i would rather not have to shim, but i have this mount already and i only needed to raise it about 20 thou to get big end clearance...

my mistake was using an unsuitable plastic for the shim stock to start with, i didn't think about it crushing under temp and pressure, and working loose.

if this attempt does not work, i will scrap it and buy omega45's mount!

fwiw, i used aluminum flashing (.010") and aluminum foil (.001") to get it done this time
i don't expect any crush or problems do to either heat or pressure with this stuff.

bob g

my omega is back! yes!

took about 10 shots to dial the scope back in at 25 yds, then another 10 to perfect it at 50yds

tried all sorts of projectiles in the process, and still finding 250 and 300 gr hornady xtp to be the most accurate using 70gr of 777

cold and windy today, so i quit at 22 rounds
happy to have my rifle back again, now it is useful for something other than a club.

soon as it gets warm again, and calmer, i will set out to get it back in trim at 120yds.

then i will give the bh209 another go.

btw, removing the butt pad and packing the plastic stock with a linen cloth napkin (something i had handy) really and i mean dramatically quieted the ringing and now it it much more pleasant to shoot.

bob g

bob g,

Sounds like you are getting a handle on it. When you get around to it, I would suggest you use something synthetic that will not hold water in the butt stock. If those napkins get wet you might here a sloshing sound when you shoot. :wink: :lol: Good idea for a quick experiment though.

thanks Shawn

i just stuffed it in there to see what effect it might have, i am now pretty convinced that filling the void with blow foam is the way i will go.

i have a can of triple expansion foam, but think i will wait and get a can of standard foam... i don't want to balloon the stock that would be a real mess to sort out.

anyone using a cheek pad/riser on their omega?

while watching a youtube video on installing and setting up a scope to fit the user, it is now apparent to me that i need about 5/8" inch of riser and maybe as much as a half inch of pad
to get me lined up properly on this scope.

i guess i never really thought about fitting a scope, stock to the user and the benefits of doing so.

i might get his ironed out yet!

bob g

getting back to the subject.LOLi just left two bass pro shops and a third large sporting goods store.i noticed the following 209 primers getting scarce both BP shops were out of all primers exept for T7 and remington sts.plenty of T7 powder along with pyrodex.but BH209 is hard to find.so wondering should i prepare to have to switch to T7?i bought 200 win primers.i was going to buy the limit of 500 but figured i could go back for more.so my question is are they slowing production of BH209 down?or is hodgedon just a larger scale operation?and i figured from what ive read hot primers and T7 dont get along.crud ring?

Back