Blast From The Past, What Will 2016 Bring?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Busta

Reaction score
What will 2016 bring ?

Can't say I didn't see some things coming that are being discussed on the forum about our beloved American Muzzleloader Companies. Sad, but true.

When I read that Gordy left Knight, that was a big red flag that this might be the beginning of the end again? Their Customer Service has been far less than stellar as of late. Sending out rifles to good loyal owners of Knights like Jay and Chet that don't even have the correct triggers. Bolt/Breech Plug/Barrel headspace stack up issues on $900 to $1000 rifles??? Really? Sorry, but Customer Service is EVERYTHING in todays disposable market.

I have owned Knights and T/C's since the 80's, and these rifles were built by Gunsmiths and Craftsmen with Deep Bluing, and Select Walnut stocks all finished off to a "T". The Customer Service was unprecedented from both companies back then. If you had a problem, they were only a phone call away, and in a few days you had your new parts or whatever. A buddy cracked his T/C Stock back in the early 90's, sent it back to T/C and in a week had it back with the most beautiful walnut stock you ever seen on a production muzzleloader. Knight Customer Service was the same way, very responsive to their customers needs. We all know those days are long gone, except for a few Custom Builders and Companies Like Cooper. I wish them well, but even they have figured out the market is very small for that type of rifle, and are also entertaining synthetic stock options.

Even the fanboys, brand loyal customers, cannot deny that times have changed. Most will blame it on cheap overseas labor, and other things. The fact is that the Quality of T/C and Knight have been slipping for years, even in their $1000 rifles. People don't mind paying for a quality built rifle that has some nice features, but when you are spraying on your finish, or slipping in standard triggers for advertised premium triggers, and still giving them a thrown together (ill fitting parts) production rifle with no other special care, what is that telling your customer?

I could go on-and-on, and I probably will, but I think you get the message. Let's just hope that Knight and T/C also get the message. They cannot sit on their hands forever, while at least on company is out there innovating. The Muzzleloader market has been saturated for a few years now, and without innovation, things get stagnant. I made a prediction a few years back, and other than possibly being off a little on the timeline, I haven't changed my opinion. CVA has been eating Knight and T/C's lunch, while Traditions is off doing their thing as well. I can honestly say that since the drastic changes that CVA has made to their line back in 2010, I haven't been excited about any Knight or T/C offering. CVA has brought their "A Game", and truly have innovations that leave the others in the dust.

Since 2010, some of the innovations that CVA has brought to the market. CVA's QRBP (breech plug) design that completely seals the front of the breech plug to the barrel is IMO the best production design on the market. They offer 2 types of breech plugs for all the production rifles, either for pellets or loose powder such as Blackhorn 209. The triggers on all the rifles are excellent to outstanding. The Bergara Barrels are excellent with a short 3/8"ish BGM (Bullet Guiding Muzzle) that is concentric with the bore and does not hinder accuracy. Real stainless steel barrels offered across the whole line, from the $200 Wolf to the top of the line Apex. Nitride finish over stainless steel on the Optima V2, Accura V2, and Accura MR's that is guaranteed not to rust. Several models with sight or scope ready option, and standard or thumbhole stock options in black or camo. Blued, Stainless Steel, or Nitride over Stainless Steel barrel finishes. The Optima V2 Pistol is a very nice rig, capable of hunting loads up to 100 grains of Blackhorn. The trigger is superb, and will pile 'em all into one hole at 50 yards off the bench. NONE of my rifles can consistently do that.

My 2011 Optima V1 Pistol is the only CVA that I own, but I also own 15ish other muzzleloaders. The Optima Pistol and my semi-custom H&R/Slufoot .45 cal 1:20 twist are my go to hunting muzzleloaders since 2011. The Knights, Whites, T/C, H&R/NEFs all are pretty much Safe Queens these days. If I were to buy a new production muzzleloader today, it would be either a CVA Apex or Accura MR, over anything that Knight or T/C currently make. Just a fact, and it's obvious that I am not alone. The Breech Plugs, Triggers, Stainless Steel and Nitride Bergara Barrels are just head and shoulders above the competition IMO. The Customer Service has been very responsive, both in person, and through the automated store. I've ordered Breech Plugs, Pistol Case, Spare Parts that I'll probably never need( Firing pin, Firing Pin Bushing, Firing pin Spring, O-Ring, Shim Kit, V2 Ram Rod ), all without so much as a hiccup or a couple days wait on shipping. Anyone called Knight or T/C lately?

CVA is exactly where I figured they would be today, and to be honest am still surprised the others are still hanging in there. IMO, it's only because of the Brand Loyalists and our deep rooted bias against foreign made products. Sure I struggle with that every day as well, and the only reason I bought the CVA Optima Pistol is that Knight, T/C, H&R/NEF or any other US Company does not offer one. This CVA Optima Pistol, and the post 2010 rifles I have shot has really opened my eyes to he functional advantage the new CVA has to offer. Just no denying that if I actually NEEDED a new rifle today, and lord knows I don't with 15 in the safe, it would be a CVA Accura MR with the Nitride, hands down. I'm actually contemplating selling my Knights, Whites, T/C, H&R/NEF's so I have a need, seriously! I would keep My MK-85, G-Series Whitetail, T/C Sidelock, NEF Huntsman, my Slufoot Conversion, and my CVA Pistol. The Three Knight Bolt guns would be the first to go since I no longer care to shoot them. I have the original Power Rods, and Brand new spare Version 2 Lehigh Plugs (with removable vent liners) and Bolt Conversions for each of them. All good shooters with the right loads, but just a lot more hassle to shoot and clean than my tip-ups. I mostly shoot Blackhorn 209 these days, so the Whites get neglected as well. I have SEVERAL custom breech plugs for my NEF Huntsman that is still batting a thousand on deer and elk since new in 2003. I have my Slufoot conversion on that frame, so she mostly sits lonely in the back of the safe as well these days. Several others as well. Sorry, I guess I did go on-and-on. I hope I didn't put anyone in a coma!

So I say again, what will 2016 bring? The S.H.O.T. Show is not far away!

Here is the blast from the past.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17489&hilit=CVA+eating+T%2FC+and+Knights+lunch

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17066&hilit=CVA+eating+T%2FC%27s+lunch&start=25

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26111&hilit=CVA+eating+T%2FC+and+Knights+lunch

Interesting read Busta. I personally would not label myself as a fan boy to any brand, ok maybe Savage centerfires/rimfires and dewalt tools. But see myself more open to anything regardless of brand. I like my Omega alot but really thought TC was going to throw in the towel till the started marketing the redemption as the strike. Hopefully this lights a fire over at TC and they or S&W put some effort into the brand again.

I miss the good old days when i could pick up the phone and talk to Sam (the smith) at Knight. He was always helpful and took care of things the "right way". Gordy was also very helpful but being able to contact him directly didn't last long.

My 54-120 was built the RIGHT WAY when Knight was not even making new rifles. Fit and finish is spot on and far better than the full MSRP i paid. Green Mountain built a stellar DISC for the money. Its still my favorite smoker.

At the rate things are going, Cooper is now at the top of my "want list". I believe they listen and produce a beautiful product.

GM54-120 said:
At the rate things are going, Cooper is now at the top of my "want list". I believe they listen and produce a beautiful product.

I'm sure they will be superb, but also you'll pay a premium of almost 100% over what you can get Knights top rifle for. If they came out with a sub $1k rifle, I think they could compete quite well in the upper end market. As it is, their market is what it is.

I hope Knight and TC can improve. I believe Knight still has the best factory ML available. Sure CVA outsells them, but the markets are alot different really. CVA's numbers I'm sure are driven by the sub $250 rifles. And they are fine for that.. not a bash. Personally, I think Knight is missing the boat by not competing with CVA, with at least a model or two. But I don't own or run the company. I also think it would do them well to have a semi-custom division...where you pay a premium and order what you want. Model, colors, ignition, finish, twist, caliber, etc. I'm sure plenty of folks would pay for that, and who cares if it takes a month or two to get.

None of us knows whats going on with any of the companies really. We only get glimpses of the wins and losses, good times and bad. The major problems usually begin to rear their heads when companies get bought, and it becomes a bottom line issue, rather than a passion or mission. I also thought S&W was gonna dump TC all together. Who knows, maybe they will stick around and get better. Them buying the Redemption was a surprise to most people, though I doubt its a big seller. Right now, a few folks are very unhappy with some new Knight models. What's behind it? We don't know. It could be supplier issues, could be due to key employees leaving the quality control has slipped lately. Cust svc... well that is 100% in the control of Knight, no excuse for not taking care of the customers - especially on the upper end models. They need to straighten that up asap. Hopefully that is (maybe) due to employee issues as well, but it doesn't sound like it. :huh?:

I've been a huge Knight fan since the early 90's when I bought my MK-85 new. I'll remain a fan and am hopeful they can fix some of the apparent issues they currently have. I have a bunch of Knights now, they are wonderful rifles... they all work perfectly for me.

Busta, I respect you and your knowledge.... and you make some good points. But your post certainly leans towards being a big fanboy of CVA, and bashing the other brands. And that is ok, we are all entitled to like what we want. But at the same time, a few hiccups in the road for some of the other companys doesn't mean much. It certainly doesn't automatically make CVA the best out there. They fill their niche quite well, and for a cheaper ML... they are probably one of the best you can get. I don't believe their upper end competes nearly as well. Personally, Id rather buy USA made and higher quality, and pay more. I know alot of folks don't care about that.

Dutch said:
Talk about a fanboy!

You were first to cross my mind, and first to respond. Is that all you have to say?

WV Hunter said:
GM54-120 said:

I'm sure they will be superb, but also you'll pay a premium of almost 100% over what you can get Knights top rifle for. If they came out with a sub $1k rifle, I think they could compete quite well in the upper end market. As it is, their market is what it is.

I hope Knight and TC can improve. I believe Knight still has the best factory ML available. Sure CVA outsells them, but the markets are alot different really. CVA's numbers I'm sure are driven by the sub $250 rifles. And they are fine for that.. not a bash. Personally, I think Knight is missing the boat by not competing with CVA, with at least a model or two. But I don't own or run the company. I also think it would do them well to have a semi-custom division...where you pay a premium and order what you want. Model, colors, ignition, finish, twist, caliber, etc. I'm sure plenty of folks would pay for that, and who cares if it takes a month or two to get.

None of us knows whats going on with any of the companies really. We only get glimpses of the wins and losses, good times and bad. The major problems usually begin to rear their heads when companies get bought, and it becomes a bottom line issue, rather than a passion or mission. I also thought S&W was gonna dump TC all together. Who knows, maybe they will stick around and get better. Them buying the Redemption was a surprise to most people, though I doubt its a big seller. Right now, a few folks are very unhappy with some new Knight models. What's behind it? We don't know. It could be supplier issues, could be due to key employees leaving the quality control has slipped lately. Cust svc... well that is 100% in the control of Knight, no excuse for not taking care of the customers - especially on the upper end models. They need to straighten that up asap. Hopefully that is (maybe) due to employee issues as well, but it doesn't sound like it. :huh?:

I've been a huge Knight fan since the early 90's when I bought my MK-85 new. I'll remain a fan and am hopeful they can fix some of the apparent issues they currently have. I have a bunch of Knights now, they are wonderful rifles... they all work perfectly for me.

Busta, I respect you and your knowledge.... and you make some good points. But your post certainly leans towards being a big fanboy of CVA, and bashing the other brands. And that is ok, we are all entitled to like what we want. But at the same time, a few hiccups in the road for some of the other companys doesn't mean much. It certainly doesn't automatically make CVA the best out there. They fill their niche quite well, and for a cheaper ML... they are probably one of the best you can get. I don't believe their upper end competes nearly as well. Personally, Id rather buy USA made and higher quality, and pay more. I know alot of folks don't care about that.

Not a fanboy, and not bashing, just being a realist. The writing is on the wall, some just fail to see it. I have several different Brands in my safe, and have never put all my eggs in one basket. They can't sit on their hands forever, or maybe they can?

to me knight needs to get a few more to run the place.. how many people works at knight??? I will buy made in the usa if I can.. CVA makes a few nice muzzle loaders.. the MR looks to be a good one... if I had the money I get the ultra lite..

the fact that the gene pool of manufacturers in the Muzzleloading world is so small, is probably the main reason this care/worry free attitude has been able to linger so long. The same problems in a shotgun, or centerfire offering would have hit the wall much sooner, and shown a bright light on consumer demands. Way more production brand choices to stay brand loyal through the turmoil. Its either right, or needs correction. If a supplier refuses to remedy sub par offerings, the next guy benefits. Simple and easy. At this time, Im glad I still have my old Triumph, several older Knights, my whites...and even my old unused 870"s for the same reasons. (they were my bread and butter for decades)
In todays computer forum world of instant worldwide information communication, the blemishes are brought to light much quicker. And exposed over a greater audience. Its do or die, or a new batter gets a turn at the plate. At least theres still plenty of privateers keeping the innovations going. More and more great machinists are stepping up and offering breech plugs/ignition options, barrel makers seem to be on point for the most part. New age muzzleloaders are heading toward a AR style market more and more. Pick your parts, for your budget and needs and outside some barrel machining (easily outsourced) Most average Joes with very little mechanical skills and or tools can still assemble one at home.

I would really like to have the ultra light but Knight's customer service really has me spooked .I worry that there could be a problem with a new gun. It's bad enough the problems with cs,but it looks like there are production problems also. I will not buy from Knight until I am convinced these issues have been dealt with.

Well, I'm giving Knight the opportunity to deliver. Just ordered an Ultra Lite. Let's see how things go! :mrgreen:

No doubt it seems Knight has some quality control problems. As far as T/C, the Triumph is a great break open ML. I've always had no issues with customer service either. CVA leads the industry in cheap muzzloaders. After owning a Accura and an Apex, they are cheap compared to the rest. Bergara barrels are accurate but weak. They just can't handle the pressures like Green Mountain and other manufactures can. Though there are some good designs, quality and craftsman ship is bottom of the barrel.

I'm hoping in 2016 someone like cooper builds a quality 45 1/20 Ultralite.

Grouse, do you know something we don't? I know you have an in with Lehigh and they are or were subcontracted by Knight for bullets and bolts at one point. Now I see that you are selling some Knights off in the Classifieds and bought a TC, spill the beans LOL

2016 muzzleloader wishes:
1) Savage: get back into the muzzleloader business. Give us a black powder only model 10 if you don't want the liability. Lots of the smokeless guys would just buy for the actions and we'd all benefit from a rifle with a good fit and finish.
2) Cooper: get some prostaff and compete in NMLRA competition. It's suspicious to see Bridges as your front man and hear about what a great "hunting" rifle you make with little to no talk about how accurate it is (or isn't)
3) Smith & Wesson: poop or get off the pot with Thompson Center. It's widely assumed you bought the company for a hand full of its patents. That's fine, it's just business, but if you're going to run it into the ground please take what you came for and sell what's left to someone who will run with it.
4) Knight: Concentrate on quality control and customer service. A rebuilding of the old companies dealer network would probably also help, especially since marketing seems to be a weak area.

alphaburnt said:
Grouse, do you know something we don't? I know you have an in with Lehigh and they are or were subcontracted by Knight for bullets and bolts at one point. Now I see that you are selling some Knights off in the Classifieds and bought a TC, spill the beans LOL

Ok I will, you can't and won't find a better production ML made today then the Knight Ultralite. Nothing even comes close!! I'm not sure what's going on at Knight and really don't care anymore. Me and others on these boards helped put Knight back on the map. If they don't wanna answer there phones or step up to the plate and take care of customers there's nothing I can do about it. But I will get Lehigh in time to make plugs and bolts for the people who need them and they can buy right from Lehigh. I hope it doesn't come to that for Knights sake. As far as me getting rid of some ML'S has nothing to do with anything. I don't need a 52 cal for anything. I'm selling a tack driving blued 45 1/20 but still will have three stainless ones and one brand new never shot. As far as the Mountainer 1/24 twist, I never really liked the Mountaineers myself. But they are good ML'S. I've always been a Fan of T/C. The Triumph is the best brake open made, And owned 5 or 6 Encores Atleast. I have a T/C Strike here now that was sent to me. And I bought a Impact the other day. Pretty much going to see how well they are made and show you why you shouldn't buy a cheap CVA.;)

ohiostate 12 said:
to me knight needs to get a few more to run the place.. how many people works at knight??? I will buy made in the usa if I can.. CVA makes a few nice muzzle loaders.. the MR looks to be a good one... if I had the money I get the ultra lite..

I think they got two employees right now.

Upper Hand: I also would like to see Savage return to muzzleloading. I wonder with the money they have spent on civil actions involving their MLs even though it was not a design flaw but operator error whether they will ever return. IMO they feel too little return for the risk, although I have been wrong many times before.
One cannot easily double load a centerfire although one could use the wrong powder that is too fast and have a problem and many do not load (reload) their own. We load our own with MLs and things can happen. Too much powder, the wrong type, double loads etc. Just more chance of it I guess. All have a good 2016.

Grouse said:
No doubt it seems Knight has some quality control problems. As far as T/C, the Triumph is a great break open ML. I've always had no issues with customer service either. CVA leads the industry in cheap muzzloaders. After owning a Accura and an Apex, they are cheap compared to the rest. Bergara barrels are accurate but weak. They just can't handle the pressures like Green Mountain and other manufactures can. Though there are some good designs, quality and craftsman ship is bottom of the barrel.

Do you know anyone who had a CVA barrel blow up?

I am new to the muzzleloader community. But, I have been in the archery business for about 20 yrs. I have seen companies come and go, struggle for many years with bad design and poor customer service.
It seems to me that Knight is having some pains to keep up with demand and they are berated by the same customers that hail them as the best. In this day and age where everything is "Now" it is tough to please everyone.

As for CVA. They are filling a very important niche for the muzzleloader game. Very nice quality (not top of the line custom built) muzzleloaders.
Not the best but will do the job and get more people into the game. I recently bought one as a way to find out if I want to peruse it any further. I looked at reviews and a lot of guns before I decided on the Optima v2 northwest edition.
I have bows in my shop that range in price from $200-$999 and then there are customs that will go into the $1500 range. I will tell you that the 3-400 $ bows are my bread and butter. When the economy buyer wants to step up they come back to buy the $500 -$900 bows after they fall in love with it.
We shouldn't bash the companies that bring the new people to the sport.
Educate them!
People need to know the limitations of particular products.

Good Shocks And Four Wheel Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back