Blue balls?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am using a Lee ProMelter 4-20 -- 20lb bottom pour. Lee .678 aluminum RB single mold. Some of my balls have a blue spot about 25% of the ball. Otherwise seem very good. No wrinkles.

Could this be a problem? Too much heat? I am setting at about 6 out of 7.

1000001304.jpg

Colors in lead don't necessarily mean it was too hot, in means its pure. Dross on pure lead has colors. If alloy gets too hot it gets frosty. Pure lead can not turn frosty.
I don't worry about getting lead too hot.

S
View attachment 42101

Colors in lead don't necessarily mean it was too hot, in means its pure. Dross on pure lead has colors. If alloy gets too hot it gets frosty. Pure lead can not turn frosty.
I don't worry about getting lead too hot.
Thanks, did not seem to be too hot. I found that too cold gets wrinkles. I would think that hotter would heat the mold and that could be better(?)

When alloy gets too hot and frosty does it separate from the lead?

S

Thanks, did not seem to be too hot. I found that too cold gets wrinkles. I would think that hotter would heat the mold and that could be better(?)

When alloy gets too hot and frosty does it separate from the lead?
You can't remove alloy. You can skim dross until your pot is gone.

I thought as well. I would guess it is mixed in with the lead.

Are wheel weights ok? I would expect the steel would float(?)
Yes wheel weights are ok for round balls .The patch engages the rifling and is between the barrel and ball. If you make maxi ball you should use pure lead imo

Most wheel weights are zinc and steel. If you do happen to find some that's lead it's going to be very hard. Most will run 12 BHN maybe harder. The old days of stick on soft lead wheel weights is long gone. Lead pipe is quickly becoming extremely difficult to find.
I turn zinc wheel weights into sturgeon sinkers these days. When I fully retire I plan to sell a lot of sturgeon sinkers and maybe bullets.

Find yourself a few repair shops that cater to old cars with welded wheels. Old VW's etc. They use soft lead wheel weights.

And, yes, steel floats.

Zinc melts at a much higher temp than lead. Zinc floats too.

Most wheel weights are zinc and steel. If you do happen to find some that's lead it's going to be very hard. Most will run 12 BHN maybe harder. The old days of stick on soft lead wheel weights is long gone. Lead pipe is quickly becoming extremely difficult to find.
I turn zinc wheel weights into sturgeon sinkers these days. When I fully retire I plan to sell a lot of sturgeon sinkers and maybe bullets.
Lead pipes not hard to find depending on your location there's still a lot around sadly Baltimore is in the process of replacing a lot of pipes I'll be sure to get some super cheap maybe even free 😉

Lead pipes not hard to find depending on your location there's still a lot around sadly Baltimore is in the process of replacing a lot of pipes I'll be sure to get some super cheap maybe even free 😉
A lot of recycling centers won't sell pipes or xray room lead. Here in Southern Idaho finding lead pipe is only possible if you know a plumber.
I'm pretty much over scrounging lead. I just order from RotoMetals.

A lot of recycling centers won't sell pipes or xray room lead. Here in Southern Idaho finding lead pipe is only possible if you know a plumber.
I'm pretty much over scrounging lead. I just order from RotoMetals.
Really it's definitely different out west I can find a little X-ray lead but they're funny about it my dentist does give me a little when he gets it

I mine the berms at my club range for lead.
A buddy of mine gave me a bucket full of wheel weights-(RIP Mike B)-about half of them are lead.
I just use a pair of pliers to squeeze them. If they dent, they go into the casting pot along with my mined lead.

Really it's definitely different out west I can find a little X-ray lead but they're funny about it my dentist does give me a little when he gets it
There is two kinds of X-ray lead. The stuff in the walls of older hospitals, and dentist foils. X-ray room lead is harder than pure. It comes in between 7 and 9 BHN.
Dentist foils are as hard than wheel weight. Somewhere between 12 and 14. I've used them to harden my bullets. I prefer to use lead shot to alloy with. It doesn't take much. I used to get buckets of dental foils per year. Most dentists have switched it digital and no longer use foils. The last 5 gal bucket I had was used to make fishing weights.

Latest posts

Back