Chronographs And Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a chronograph that uses skyscreens. The skyscreens attach via small metal rods that insert into a plastic housing in the base.
My question is will sabots cause damage to the base if they strike the metal rods?

I've not had issues with the sabots striking my rods on either my Pro Chrony or Caldwell. However, i strongly advise buying or making a clear plastic cover to protect the screen. Destroyed a pro Chrony from a sabot hit, cracked another screen and just last week my Caldwell took a hit and the plastic cracked. It's now covered with bubble wrap. I use an app to control the chrony and Caldwell so i was just being lazy.

They didn't for me.
I used to be big into handgun hunting. To gage the true velocity of different bullets I set the chrono up right at the target at 100 yds., and shot through it. Never hit it even once!!
I think I will set my target at 25 yds and place the chrono right at the target. I’ve found sabots about 35-40 ft from the muzzle, but never had any make it 25 yds.
It won’t give me true muzzle velocity, but the difference would be so little as to not really mayter.

Sabot ruined my Prochronny. Could have bought a new one for the repair cost. Last year, I bought a new Labradar system with all kinds of neat gadgets and accessories which I have yet to use. It's sitting on the self right next to me, in the same pretty orange boxes it shipped in. Got it just before the new Garmin came out. It's all about timing.

I've never used a magneto speed, years past it was an Oehler (military range) and the Chrony or Caldwell. I keep salivating over the new Garmin and have had it in my cart a few times but want to get my SML conversion done by Hankins, competing priorities!

Damn it George!!!

Have you done any reading about its associated app? Basic at best folks are saying, can't control the unit via the app, single file download, no way to name the file before downloading, etc.. Reviewers are hopeful Garmon will update. Still not enough for me to not want it!

Damn it George!!!

Have you done any reading about its associated app? Basic at best folks are saying, can't control the unit via the app, single file download, no way to name the file before downloading, etc.. Reviewers are hopeful Garmon will update. Still not enough for me to not want it!
Well.......... I'll sell you a Magnetospeed V3 that's only been used a dozen or so times. ;)

I made these protectors out of 3/4" plywood for my oehler chrony, after destroying one of the eyes with a sabot. The guides are old arrow shafts

m8XkU0m.jpg

Latest posts

Back