Chronographs And Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm keeping mine it works for other stuff and a backup plan...
If tge garmin don't work out.
I have a buddy that has one and loves tge garmin.
Magneto speed not very muzzleloader friendly on and off for every loading.
Waiting at the door for the garmin new toy. excuse ti go shoot.

Magneto speed not very muzzleloader friendly on and off for every loading.
Waiting at the door for the garmin new toy. excuse ti go shoot.
I agree. Not muzz friendly.
I didn't remove my bayonet to reload though. Just unplugged it at the bayonet and using my range rods it wasn't bad at all. Just inconvenient as heck but it always worked.

My opinion............. PERFECTION.

I'm dropping down to the 300's basically because they're more stable for my twist of 1:19. 45-70 shoots a faster twist and the 350's extremely well. I'm not totally sure of his twist.
Shooting in the matches the 350gr XLD's go subsonic at around 800yds, which means they go transonic likely around 700 +/-. The slow twist and low velocity just makes the longer bullets less stable while transonic with a 1:19.

Your 1:16 should shoot them exceptionally well, especially at long range. Here's the stability with a 1:16 twist

View attachment 42234
At what distance will the 300 gr. go trans-sonic?
Start out quicker but slow down faster? X

At what distance will the 300 gr. go trans-sonic?
Start out quicker but slow down faster? X
Here's my saved for the 350's. They go subsonic at 800yds (red highlite), so transonic should be +/-700yds

1709904245504.jpeg

300gr.......... Red is where it goes subsonic. Same distance, but the shorter bullet will better stabilize when going transonic.

1709904376420.png

Here's my saved for the 350's. They go subsonic at 800yds (red highlite), so transonic should be +/-700yds

View attachment 42241

300gr.......... Red is where it goes subsonic. Same distance, but the shorter bullet will better stabilize when going transonic.

View attachment 42242
So maybe I'm silly for asking but why not upvtgr start velocity so it doesn't go subsonic till after 1000 yards?
Wouldn't that prevent any upset and instability
The reason I ask is at somewhere around 1100 to 1200 yards the 7.62 x51 does some crazy stuff right about that sound barrier buffeting.
Why I use 300 wind mag at longer engagements and 338 LM at over 1400m
There retained velocity is higher respectfully
Downrangevas us energy.

So maybe I'm silly for asking but why not upvtgr start velocity so it doesn't go subsonic till after 1000 yards?
The reason I ask is at somewhere around 1100 to 1200 yards the 7.62 x51 does some crazy stuff right about that sound barrier buffeting.
Downrangevas us energy.
Neither gain much over the 7 62x51 under 1000 yards other than cost per shot on paper.
And there over kill on game up close.

I have to report the garmin is doing excellent with sabots and has matched the velocity of thr magneto speed.
My interaction with the app has been perfect just have to rember to turn off my watch so it connects.
Or sync it after the session
Hasn't missed a shot yet.
Way better than thr lab radar.
Way easier than the magneto speed v3
Beyond happy.

Downrangevas us energy.
Not silly but a good question.

NMLRA rules dictate that when using BH209 you cannot exceed 120grs volume OR 84grs weight.
There is no cap on any other BP or substitute propellant. Smokeless is NOT ALLOWED.

My Garmin is scheduled to show up tomorrow along with the 400 XLD's.

Last edited:
Not silly but a good question.

NMLRA rules dictate that when using BH209 you cannot exceed 120grs volume OR 84grs weight.
There is no cap on any other BP or substitute propellant. Smokeless is NOT ALLOWED.

My Garmin is scheduled to show up tomorrow along with the 400 XLD's.
Well that stinks no smokeless when bh209 is unobtainable/?
Doesn't seem practical. You limit how many can compete with such a rule. I won't be able for sure.

I haven't seen a bottle of 209 in a year.

Couldn't you achieve the same thing and level the playing field with a max velocity?

Say 2300 what ever it is wouldn't matter everyone would play the same.

I've seen sports die with similar rules.
Gives a monopoly to one manufacturer that then has a great demand for a limited supply
Costs got to go thru the roof.

What a shame.

We are talking about the original alternative.

You won't be disappointed In The garmin.
I do wish it calculated a radar bc.
I might get to 400 grain bullets sooner than later.

Doesn't seem practical. You limit how many can compete with such a rule. I won't be able for sure.

Couldn't you achieve the same thing and level the playing field with a max velocity?

Gives a monopoly to one manufacturer that then has a great demand for a limited supply

What a shame.

Rules are rules.......... ;)

There's BH around, just expensive as heck. When Goex went out of business that's when BH skyrocketed, and of course the Ukraine situation and General Dynamics.

ELR shooting is brand new for modern inline shooters and to date there's only been 4 matches, the first two in 2022 and two last year. I've attended 3 of the 4. Missed one for being in the hospital :( It has to start someplace, and maybe down the road some things may or may not change.

Because it falls under the NMLRA, their rules are a requirement. The BH propellant maximum...... IMO ..... is completely outdated, but there's no say so in that unfortunately. I can dump 200grs by weight of BP, Pyrodex, or Tripple Seven down the bore along with a 350gr bullet and be completely within the rules. Its only my personal opinion, but the rule for BH is antique, out of date and completely unnecessary. However, rules are rules and until those rules are changed, we all have to abide.

I'm just overly happy that we have the opportunity to actually shoot to 1,000yds. I praise those who organized and started the matches.
ITS MORE FUN THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. I'm thankful that I took 1st and was able to win the inaugural match. Others can win, others can certainly beat my score and have, but nobody else can win the inaugural. :)

I've already downloaded the Garmin app to my phone. I really don't need a calculated BC, because as you know that will change when actually shooting your drops. I always adjust my BC to my actual drops in JBM. So far the process has been dead on.
I expect it late tomorrow, but that's ok too. Its been 26° here and we had about an inch of snow last night, so Tuesday I'll know a lot more about it.

Rules are rules.......... ;)

There's BH around, just expensive as heck. When Goex went out of business that's when BH skyrocketed, and of course the Ukraine situation and General Dynamics.

ELR shooting is brand new for modern inline shooters and to date there's only been 4 matches, the first two in 2022 and two last year. I've attended 3 of the 4. Missed one for being in the hospital :( It has to start someplace, and maybe down the road some things may or may not change.

Because it falls under the NMLRA, their rules are a requirement. The BH propellant maximum...... IMO ..... is completely outdated, but there's no say so in that unfortunately. I can dump 200grs by weight of BP, Pyrodex, or Tripple Seven down the bore along with a 350gr bullet and be completely within the rules. Its only my personal opinion, but the rule for BH is antique, out of date and completely unnecessary. However, rules are rules and until those rules are changed, we all have to abide.

I'm just overly happy that we have the opportunity to actually shoot to 1,000yds. I praise those who organized and started the matches.
ITS MORE FUN THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. I'm thankful that I took 1st and was able to win the inaugural match. Others can win, others can certainly beat my score and have, but nobody else can win the inaugural. :)

I've already downloaded the Garmin app to my phone. I really don't need a calculated BC, because as you know that will change when actually shooting your drops. I always adjust my BC to my actual drops in JBM. So far the process has been dead on.
I expect it late tomorrow, but that's ok too. Its been 26° here and we had about an inch of snow last night, so Tuesday I'll know a lot more about it.
I haven't seen any but I sleep when most are awake and buying. Rules are rules but they precludes me from preparing or competing.
I originally wanted to build a 209 gun but just couldn't find any.
Might stuff 4 pellets and let one rip to see what happens...happens....
Strapped to a table with a string behind the tractor.
Lol
You won't be disappointed in the garmin.
I shot for hours today and still have 59 percent on a full charge.
I did get a power bank with mine.
Used it more for my air cooler than the gsrmin.i didn't need it for the the chrono actually
The app is really nice just sync it when you get done.
Us a new session to segregate data.

What a shame.

Smokey...........You should become a match director and let everybody make up their own rules. Without rules there is chaos. Every organised shooting disclipline has rules. X

The new Gramin is currently charging :lewis:
So we can assume the neighborhood is going to be noisy this afternoon, eh?

Curious to hear your range report. I've been half thinking that my next purchase would be a chrono but with a couple new styles, yours included, being released I'll wait to see what you have to say.

Back