Cleaning between shots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky99

Reaction score
Just purchased a Knight Disc Elite 50cal. 2nd hand but not fired.Shot at 100yds today and getting 5" of vertical stringing windage staying good.100gr. of 777 ffg,300gr xtp with black sabot they come with.Wondering about my cleaning technique started with one spit patch run down and out one time.Then tryed T/C cleaner between shots.When I removed breech plug to clean bore after 15 shots the breech plug was pretty plugged up I guess when patching I was pushing the stuff into the well in plug.Whats a good procedure to use between shots and how often should I remove B-plug and clean bore good?

With 777 I run a wet patch or 2 with Windex (water is ok) then 1 or 2 patches to dry. I do this between every shot for most consistent groups. With sabots the CVA Sabot Solvent is also a good bore cleaner between shots.

Maybe back your load off to 75-80 grains & see if less fouling. Not sure where you started as far as load.

As far as removing breech plug, i rarely remove in a normal range session averaging 25-40 shots.

I'm sure others here will chime in with some pointers in what works for them.

:D Best of luck.

I make up a cleaning solution of 50/50 91% isopropyl alcohol and summer blend car windshield washer fluid. When I swab a take a wet patch and in short strokes work from the muzzle to the breech. Then turn the wet patch over and do the other side of the patch. If it looks like you have a lot of fowling run another wet patch. After that I run two dry patches to make sure all the moisture is out of the barrel. Then load as normal.

The vertical stringing could be from a poor swabbing regiment, it could also be from poor positioning of the forearm on the bench rest. There are many things that could cause that. I do not know how you worked the load up. I normally start at 85 grains of Triple Se7en and then work upward until I get the best group.

You might also want to try a few different projectiles. Perhaps your rifle just does not like the XTP's although my Knight rifle loves the things. It also likes the 250 grain Barnes Expanders. With those, the rifle will shoot some very impressive groups with the open sights. When I shoot XTP's I normally shoot the 240 grain, but that does not mean your rifle will like them. All rifles are a mystery to themselves and must be figured out..

Good luck with the rifle.

Latest posts

Back