Considering an Acura MR Nitride rifle for this season - thoughts, experiences? UPDATE: Range report!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
I'm hoping to secure hunting permission to a large farm near me. I've hunted their in the past, and hopefully the family will give me permission for this upcoming season.

Once I know I have access to hunting land, I want to buy an inline ML so I can take vacation the first week of ML season and spend a lot of time hunting. :D Last season I hunted with a Thompson White Mountain Carbine, and while I like the short side lock, I want to move up to a modern inline so I can have an optic and shoot BH 209.

I had a chance this summer to handle a bunch of inline ML's currently on the market. The one that handled and fit me the best was the CVA Acura MR. I like the simplicity of the break action & breech plug, and the stock fit me like a glove.

I've generally heard good things about the Acura MR, but I know the nitride finish is relatively new. I was curious if anyone had experience with the new nitride ML's from CVA? What about the composite stock? I really want something with an all weather finish that can stand up to hunting up and down mountains and through thick, heavy undergrowth. I'm fine with a hunting rifle that will show some character marks, but I don't want to spend top dollar on a rifle that will look trashed after only season.

UPDATE: Okay, this thread convinced me. :D Acura MR Nitride placed on order. I'll update with load development results.

Re: Considering an Acura MR Nitride rifle for this season - thoughts, experiences?

I doubt you'll put a mark on it. It's not a coating. It's a metal process and it doesn't come off.

Re: Considering an Acura MR Nitride rifle for this season - thoughts, experiences?

:applause: :applause:

Believe me, you won't be disappointed with that rifle. I used mine in snow and below freezing conditions in ground blinds and sneaking thru the woods along with tracking deer thru hard woods. Not a mark. CVA GUARANTEE'S THEIR RIFLES UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER.
Customer service is great. Had to send one back and they sent me a new one back. No questions asked. Had a whole bunch, V1's,V2's, V2's SS, V2's camo w/TH, MR when they first came out and the new V2 MR W/Nitride barrel. If I remember correctly I still have 5 or 6 in the safe. Can't go wrong with a CVA...........IMHO 8)

Ray............ :yeah:

CVA Accura MR Nitride is an excellent choice for an accurate & durable BP rifle.

IMG_2743.jpg

The Nitride Accura MR would be my first choice of all the production muzzleloaders being manufactured today. Fits me like a glove.

Great choice!

Muley Hunter said:
I doubt you'll put a mark on it. It's not a coating. It's a metal process and it doesn't come off.

Good to know. Thanks Pete.

hawgslayer said:
:applause: :applause:

Believe me, you won't be disappointed with that rifle. I used mine in snow and below freezing conditions in ground blinds and sneaking thru the woods along with tracking deer thru hard woods. Not a mark. CVA GUARANTEE'S THEIR RIFLES UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER.
Customer service is great. Had to send one back and they sent me a new one back. No questions asked. Had a whole bunch, V1's,V2's, V2's SS, V2's camo w/TH, MR when they first came out and the new V2 MR W/Nitride barrel. If I remember correctly I still have 5 or 6 in the safe. Can't go wrong with a CVA...........IMHO 8)

Ray............ :yeah:

I think you've sold me on the MR durability! :D

Busta said:
The Nitride Accura MR would be my first choice of all the production muzzleloaders being manufactured today. Fits me like a glove.

Great choice!

The combination of stock design, barrel length and weight just made it handle a step up from all the other ML I tried.

My only wish was if the Acura MR barrel was drilled/tapped for iron sights.

Even if it was D/T for open sights you'd have to make up something special. The stock has a high comb and is made for a scope. The first MR's were D/T for open sights, but it never made sense.

It would be nice if they realized that some states don't allow scopes in muzzy season and made special sights for it. Of course they'd have to D/T it again, so I doubt it will ever happen.

I just bought a brand new Accura MR and I am really excited about it. It shoots better than any gun I have ever owned. Here is my best group off my lead sled. There are a few other impacts in the pic but its a bug hole 3 shot group at 100 yards. I say go for it. You will love it!

8c92bf60dcc5a7d75076083a2b55054e.jpg

silentstalker said:
I just bought a brand new Accura MR and I am really excited about it. It shoots better than any gun I have ever owned. Here is my best group off my lead sled. There are a few other impacts in the pic but its a bug hole 3 shot group at 100 yards. I say go for it. You will love it!

Wow! That rifle really likes those 300 gr XTPs!

Which plastic sabots are you using with the XTP bullet?

My Optima uses the Harvester short black smooth. You can contact them and they will send samples. Try the crush rib also.

Considering an Acura MR Nitride rifle for this season - thoughts, experiences?

Im using the mmp hph-24 sabot. Seems to be a perfect combo for my gun.

New to this site, as I just found it the other day.

I have been without a ML for several years. Was borrowing friends, and finally said it was enough. I was a big TC Pro Hunter fan as they fit me very well. I stopped by a gun store last Thursday and was very surprised to see how well the Acura MR fit me. Went home and did some research on it and was impressed by the reviews. I then called a few friends who had CVA's. All had good things to say about CVA, though none had the Acura.

The gun shop was having a sale this weekend, and I got 10% off both the gun and scope. I topped it off with a Leupold VX-1 3x9x40. Got the scope mounted and bore sighted. I thought I had some powder around but I don't. Will pick up some White Hots as I have heard a lot of good things about it.

I'm like a kid at Christmas.....can't wait to shoot it.

I've heard enough subpar mentions of White Hots.... especially pellets I'm a Blackhorn 209 (Inline) and Real Black Goex FFF (percussion sidelock) fan. Never to use the likes of Shockey Gold, Pyrodex and 777 again.

Nothing wrong with owning an Accura or Optima these days. But I still prefer Knight and Thompson Center over a CVA or Traditions model.

GoexBlackhorn said:
I've heard enough subpar mentions of White Hots.... especially pellets I'm a Blackhorn 209 (Inline) and Real Black Goex FFF (percussion sidelock) fan. Never to use the likes of Shockey Gold, Pyrodex and 777 again.

Nothing wrong with owning an Accura or Optima these days. But I still prefer Knight and Thompson Center over a CVA or Traditions model.

You could shorten your name by using Goex in all guns like I do. :D

Okay, I just placed my order for an Acura MR Nitride. It should be here by the end of the week.

It's not great timing, as I'll only have two weeks to work up a load. And those two weeks are my last chance to get in any bow hunting before ML season starts. Last year I had places to hunt bow, ML and rifle lined up in August. getting permission has been much harder this year. :?

I am hoping this Acura MR is one of those that shoots most everything reasonably well.

Tannhauser said:
Okay, I just placed my order for an Acura MR Nitride. It should be here by the end of the week.

It's not great timing, as I'll only have two weeks to work up a load. And those two weeks are my last chance to get in any bow hunting before ML season starts. Last year I had places to hunt bow, ML and rifle lined up in August. getting permission has been much harder this year. :?

I am hoping this Acura MR is one of those that shoots most everything reasonably well.

I ordered the MR and a leupold ultimate slam on Saturday, should have it this upcoming sat. Have a few different bullet options here ( 250 & 300SST and 240 and 300 XTP ) Feel like a kid waiting for xmas :D

Like you im really hoping it wont be picky, really want to use the 300gr XTP's.

NHMike said:
New to this site, as I just found it the other day.

I have been without a ML for several years. Was borrowing friends, and finally said it was enough. I was a big TC Pro Hunter fan as they fit me very well. I stopped by a gun store last Thursday and was very surprised to see how well the Acura MR fit me. Went home and did some research on it and was impressed by the reviews. I then called a few friends who had CVA's. All had good things to say about CVA, though none had the Acura.

The gun shop was having a sale this weekend, and I got 10% off both the gun and scope. I topped it off with a Leupold VX-1 3x9x40. Got the scope mounted and bore sighted. I thought I had some powder around but I don't. Will pick up some White Hots as I have heard a lot of good things about it.

I'm like a kid at Christmas.....can't wait to shoot it.

Let us know how your load development progresses. :)

sawtoothscream said:
Tannhauser said:

I ordered the MR and a leupold ultimate slam on Saturday, should have it this upcoming sat. Have a few different bullet options here ( 250 & 300SST and 240 and 300 XTP ) Feel like a kid waiting for xmas :D

Like you im really hoping it wont be picky, really want to use the 300gr XTP's.

Well, in an earlier post silentstalker showed some excellent 100 yard groups with 300 gr XTP mag bullets, so there's at least one data point in favor of that bullet.

Let us know how your load development progresses. It would be interesting to see results from multiple Acura MR rifles in the same thread.

Latest posts

Back