Cooling rods?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlink

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
So as I was waiting to get my barreled action I went down the rabbit hole of data for the LBCR sabots and long 40 cal bullets. I kept reading about the need for a cooling rod to speed up barrel cool down. I was finally able to punch in the right word combo to find some ideas on dougs messageboard. So now I have a 7/16in cooling rod and stand put together. A buddy then asked me if you put a chilled rod down a hot barrel wouldn't that add extra stress to the barrel cooling it down so quickly? I told him I had no idea. So school me on how a cooling rod should be used, and/or could it be harmful to the barrel? TIA

Attachments

• image0 (11).jpeg
    image0 (11).jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
So as I was waiting to get my barreled action I went down the rabbit hole of data for the LBCR sabots and long 40 cal bullets. I kept reading about the need for a cooling rod to speed up barrel cool down. I was finally able to punch in the right word combo to find some ideas on dougs messageboard. So now I have a 7/16in cooling rod and stand put together. A buddy then asked me if you put a chilled rod down a hot barrel wouldn't that add extra stress to the barrel cooling it down so quickly? I told him I had no idea. So school me on how a cooling rod should be used, and/or could it be harmful to the barrel? TIA
I’ve read online a cpl times from competition shooters have used a cooling rod between shots. All were obviously using bullet to bore.
I can tell you this from putting hundreds of sabot rounds downrange with a hot charge & rapid load/shoot succession for 3-4hrs in the Florida heat & humidity out to 200yds & never have had an accuracy problem or the need for a cooling rod.
I’m a metal worker of well over 30yrs & I personally would never recommend putting a cold rod down a hot barrel.

I use an aluminum cooling rod here in Vegas from time to time when shooting on 80-100+ days. Just 2-4 minutes brings the barrel temp down considerably. I measure barrel temp with a laser thermometer. Cuts my wait time down considerably.

I have no worries about stress on the barrel. Think about shooting in very cold weather where the barrel temp might be zero or lower before the shot. The barrel temp after a shot or two will go up significantly within seconds or minutes.

i have used hot air, cold air, Co2, and cold water on stainless centerfire barrels. lots of target shooters and varmint hunters cool barrels in many ways. a cold rod would not have a negative effect on the barrel, other than dinging the rifling, which is why i would not use one.

I use an aluminum cooling rod here in Vegas from time to time when shooting on 80-100+ days. Just 2-4 minutes brings the barrel temp down considerably. I measure barrel temp with a laser thermometer. Cuts my wait time down considerably.

I have no worries about stress on the barrel. Think about shooting in very cold weather where the barrel temp might be zero or lower before the shot. The barrel temp after a shot or two will go up significantly within seconds or minutes.
Yes, exactly

My thought for this rifle is to set it up for my 9 yo son to shoot sabot loads out of the gun. And the thought of trying to keep this attention while waiting for the barrel to cool down enough to shot a group and get used to the gun. It will be hot here for another month or two before it starts to cool down enough. I probably read to much and was looking for a project to fill the time waiting on the barrel.

I think it’s a good idea. I have no concerns about the rod damaging the crown or rifling. These are muzzleloaders after all, we jam steel, aluminum, brass, fiberglass, carbon or dirty wooden rods down the bore every time we load and clean them.

I am careful, however, when using one.

Ok cooling rods get them as big as you can for the rifle bore, they should be alum. or brass would work. They are used when you use sabots. Sabots in too hot of barrel is like putting your sabots out in the Sun. They get very soft n will not hold up to seal bore correctly. If your using bore riders its not really needed but certainly can be used. I use mine in a large ice cooler with chilled water n a bag of ice. For those of you that are afraid of water in the bore, haha. ML's been doing spit-patches n cleaning with soapy water for hundreds of years. Hot barrels dry the water very quickly, plus you can use a dry patch down the bore.

The one thing I'd worry about if using a chilled rod is moisture/condensation on it getting into the barrel. Non-issue on cartridge guns or out in the western desert area states but could be problematic here in swampy Florida

I can tell you anywhere there is humidity above 30% your steel rifle barrel has drawn water into it. I am an old pipe welder, i always used a torch n temp stick prior to welding. You put the heat on steel n watch the water start going the other way.

Years ago, I also made a cooling rod system per instructions on Doug's Msg Boards. On hot days, pulling the rod out of the ice water, wiping it down with a towel, there was immediate condensation on the rod. However, sticking it down the barrel did do a good job cooling the barrel. To insure ignition, I followed with a dry patch and never cooled with the muzzle up to make sure no water dripped down into the breech plug.

I use this blower. I made an internal stop as to not touch the blower blades.Blows air over top and inside the barrel. Works great. I tested multiple barrel with a Fluke thermal thermometer.
Also made some adapters for various OD’s .
When not at the range I do use it on the Big Green Egg.
Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_0814.jpeg
    IMG_0814.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 0
I use this blower. I made an internal stop as to not touch the blower blades.Blows air over top and inside the barrel. Works great. I tested multiple barrel with a Fluke thermal thermometer.
Also made some adapters for various OD’s .
When not at the range I do use it on the Big Green Egg.
Amazon.
COOL!

I remember guys using a fan blower setup to cool their barrels before. But that was with more modern types of guns. I never tried a cooling rod though. But the idea looks good to me. As for condensation you just use a dry patch before loading again. Anyway both methods look good to me.

I don't live in Michigan but have never heard of "cooling rods" before. That's okay, I guess, because I've never been a rapid shooter; near impossible with patch "n" ball over BP.

Get you a battery powered air compressor like the ones for air mattresses, attach a section of vacuum hose or any hose that will fit in the barrel, turn it on and it will cool it very quickly

Been using barrel coolers for a while on centerfire rigs.
I use tge rechargeable air mattress type with a hose.
Would work the same on a sml just meet to pull the plug.
Or use a long hose that is smaller than bore diameter to push air from the breach to the muzzle.
Need an air gap around the hose so the heated air can escape.

Back