Cougar Attack

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Reaction score
Well, not really, but this morning I did kill my first deer with my new to me TC Cougar. I started out a few days ago with the intention of killing a pig or two or several, but they seem to have temporarily moved out of the area I’m hunting. I decided to take a doe instead but for several hunts only saw bucks, so I changed up my tactics and was able to get a 50 yard shot at this doe. I was using a 260 gr lead hollow point over 60 grains of Pyrodex, and she only made it about 15 yards after being hit.
939E21B1-B780-4851-B7BE-72189A199541.jpeg
14F09835-9530-41B8-BDF8-AECA4E4D9CE1.jpeg

I’ve killed A BUNCH of deer and never eaten the liver, and since I really like beef and chicken liver, I decided to give it a try. Now I know that I’m not a fan.
I used to eat beef liver, even chicken/turkey or squirrel. Never tried deer liver, but used to eat the hearts. Liver is high in cholesterol so no more. Deer hearts don't taste good anymore either. I guess my taste is changing ...
Congratulations on the doe!

LOL. I never take the liver. Can't stand any liver from any animal.
I’ve killed A BUNCH of deer and never eaten the liver, and since I really like beef and chicken liver, I decided to give it a try. Now I know that I’m not a fan.

I was referring to the general table-fare of the deer, not the innards. lol

My guideline for eating any animal I shoot is simple: no guts, no nuts.

LOL. I never take the liver. Can't stand any liver from any animal.

I was referring to the general table-fare of the deer, not the innards. lol

My guideline for eating any animal I shoot is simple: no guts, no nuts.
I know a lot of folks eat the heart and liver, so I thought I’d give it a try. I’m going to use your line from now on…no guts, no nuts.:lewis:

I ate the heart from a deer I killed last week. I cleaned it, cut it into small slices and soaked the pieces in milk for several hours. Then I fried a chopped onion long enough to soften it, then quickly cooked the drained heart pieces with the onion. The heart pieces were incredibly mild and flavorful.

I ate the heart from a deer I killed last week. I cleaned it, cut it into small slices and soaked the pieces in milk for several hours. Then I fried a chopped onion long enough to soften it, then quickly cooked the drained heart pieces with the onion. The heart pieces were incredibly mild and flavorful.

Because the heart is a muscle; not an organ. Organs are for the scavengers.

Some people even eat the kidneys. Never tried it, but the wife has and said it tastes like urine
smells......wonder why? :D

I tried heart last year, and I wasn’t a fan of it. Maybe it was just the way I cooked it, but I found it to be “rubbery”.🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back