Cva barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratchettrnr01

Reaction score
Quick question was working on a piece of equipment and buddy of mine was saying he heard of guys useing never seize in their muzzleloader barrel instead of bore butter or such ny body else hear of this šŸ¤£hell been mechanic whole life using this never herd of using on my muzzleloader

Thanks I would do my breech plug also not sure about barrel hey okie question got a new konus scope for my cva what range would you sight in at 50 or 100 thanks

hey okie question got a new konus scope for my cva what range would you sight in at 50 or 100 thanks

i zero the rifle about 1.5" high at 50 yards then check shot placement at 100 yards, it is usually very close.

Much of my hunting is from stands overlooking trails, game plots and ponds; most deer and hogs are killed at <75 yards. Infrequently i hunt over wheat fields and have taken deer and hogs to 200 yards using holdover.

Last edited:
I only use it on the breechplug and vent liner threads. I would think it would be messy in the bore itself.
Right on Jims. I have used both copper and silver.. You have to be careful because the copper stuff 'jumps' and is messy to clean up.

I bought a White rifle some years ago off GunBroker. The pictures looked real good as well as the bore. I won the auction. When it arrived still looked good at first. I started cleaning it and found silver anti-seize in the breech area covering rust and pits, same thing with the bore. Terrible pitting..
The previous owner was the culprit who sold it to the shop I bought it from.
I sent it back unfired by me and eventually got all my money refunded. Live and learn..
I had followed this rifle on another site that doesn't exist anymore. I confronted the previous owner and of course he denied it.

Last edited:
I bought a White rifle some years ago off GunBroker. The pictures looked real good as well as the bore. I won the auction. When it arrived still looked good at first. I started cleaning it and found silver anti-seize in the breech area covering rust and pits, same thing with the bore. Terrible pitting..
I sent it back unfired by me and eventually got all my money refunded. Live and learn..
I had followed this rifle on another site that doesn't exist anymore. I confronted the previous owner and of course he denied it.
That's some dirty dog sh*t right there. I'm sorry you had to go through all that but as you said...live and learn. It's just unfortunate that there are so many unscrupulous a-holes out there screwing it up for all the regular guys.

Last edited:
Its a dang shame that some cruddy mofo's do things like that - intentionally deceiving & ripping ppl off. I'm glad you got your money back.

Breech plug for me only
I started out using teflon tape on my BP threads, then went to using Anti Seize, then marine bearing grease. Now, I'm done with the " messy trials " and back to good ole teflon tape & thats what I'm stickin with from here on out. The other two worked fine for me - except the mess of using them creates, but the teflon tape is simple, fast, no mess, no residual effects, its cheap, practical & effective.

When shooting a muzzy the only thing that makes sense is starting out with a clean dry barrel. The bore should be stored with something to preserve the barrel from rust. I still like CVA rust prevent patches personally (can't find locally). These are not oily and therefore nothing to run.

teflon tape is simple, fast, no mess, no residual effects, its cheap, practical & effective.

Totally agree!!

For Blackhorn, tape is all that is needed to make a good seal, and to make for easy removal. For 777ff dabbing the tape with a little light oil makes the breech plug easy easy to remove after shooting.

I like to use teflon tape because when I use anti-seize it ends up on everything from hands and fingers to my jeans sometimes.It gets on the gun,cleaning rag and all in between.My fingers at 71 aren,t as flexiable as they were at 51.

Latest posts

Back