CVA Mountain Stalker Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac10

Reaction score
Hello,
I need some advice from you guys if possible. A friend of mine just gave me a CVA Mountain Stalker, he is not much into black powder. I've already got a Accura but no very little about perc. sidelocks. The Stalker has a 1:48 Twist. I would like to see if I can set-up a load for deer hunting,70 yards and less(close range). I would like to give musket balls a try. In my Accura I shoot 100 grains of pyrodex, in the lite Mountain Stalker I would prefer to shoot less. What do guys recommend as far as powder,round ball, and musket caps? Which brand,grain,etc? Thanks, I'm still in the learning phase. I have disassembled the gun and plan to clean it very good. My friend said it was picky sometimes when trying to fire it, he thought it was probably the musket caps or powder(I think he was trying to shoot pyrodex thru it.)
Chris

for balls, .490" with .015-.018" patch and 70-90gr pyrodex rs.

Pyrodex works great but sometimes installing the stainless steel Spitfire nipple with hollow base that cabelas sells does wonders for those pesky hang fires.

Thanks for the advice FrontierGander, I appreciate it! I know the Mountain Stalker's are cheap guns, but does anybody have experience shooting these-are they decent shooters?

excellent shooters to put it mildly. Try 80-100gr pyrodex rs with the 295gr powerbelt.

Latest posts

Back