Deer carcass cam pics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if yours are the same, but around here (lower Michigan) it's the Turkey Vultures. One of the guys we shared lease property with got his first couple does during a warm early season hunt. From the parking spot to where the deer lay was 700 yards of easy walking bean field. Needing to get the deer on ice, he walked to his truck and drove back with ice and field field dressing kit. In that short amount of time, these elegant birds had already gotten the eyes and were working on orifices other than the mouths. For some reason, they didn't seem to go for the wounds first. Not the first time I saw this ...wonder why they do this
I guess they're the same turkey vultures?
We also have Black headed vultures here which are a big problem for ranchers as they prey on new born calves.
Even though birds of prey are federally protected, Oklahoma ranchers can apply for a special permit to shoot any Black headed vultures that attack their cattle. Not sure about the criteria for obtaining a permit.

It’s ridiculously crazy how fast they can find a carcass or gut pile. Last deer I got on February 1st I field dressed it about 20 yards from our power line and drug the deer another 50 yards or so. Left all my stuff there and walked 1/2 mile to get my truck. As I was driving down there was 2 bald eagles already on the pile. Within minutes here come the buzzards. Pile was gone in no time..

Don't know if yours are the same, but around here (lower Michigan) it's the Turkey Vultures. One of the guys we shared lease property with got his first couple does during a warm early season hunt. From the parking spot to where the deer lay was 700 yards of easy walking bean field. Needing to get the deer on ice, he walked to his truck and drove back with ice and field field dressing kit. In that short amount of time, these elegant birds had already gotten the eyes and were working on orifices other than the mouths. For some reason, they didn't seem to go for the wounds first. Not the first time I saw this ...wonder why they do this
We call the turkey buzzards the undertakers. They can clean up a carcass quick. They will eat what other animals don't. I don't know if it is a design by nature that they do that. I was told, they have the strongest stomach acid of any scavenger. Might be useful eating the wobbly bits 😂 .

Back