Doing the right thing never felt so.... BAD!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
Well, it has been a long and exciting week. I have many fond memories that will be with me for a long time. I have several stories I could tell but I'll cut to the chase.

I have been on the trail of that elusive monster 8 for 4 years now. He has peaked out and is a monster in my mind. The past week, I have had multiple encounters with him, all a binocular love affair. I have changed my setup and stand location 4 times and Mr. Big is always a step ahead of me... Laughing at me it seems. :wink:

Well, last night I decided to get a bit MORE aggressive. I decided to put my climber in the edge of a woods I see him frequent.. 2 days earlier I moved my ground blind on the fringe but the wind was wrong today and he has been seen with his lady... The climber seems to make sense.

I step out of my truck and make my way down the tree line... Hands and arms full of stands, x-bow, drag line etc.. When out of the blue.. There he is! 25 yards from the corner of the woods, Mr. Big pops out then darts back. I freeze instantly! Slowly ease my stand off my shoulder and slip a few feet into the edge of the woods.. My trembling hands fiddle with the safety, then I reach into my pocket and run my primos doe call a few times. With bow to my shoulder, I can see the rack moving back to the corner where he just showed himself. I bear down and peer though the scope and he boldly appears just 25 yards away in full view.. For 10 seconds we stare each other down, Inside I am screaming!! Mr. Big quartering hard to me but motionless in the cut bean field. I want to take him so badly but I KNOW this is a terrible shot to take. An arrow in the shoulder is not an ethical shot to take with a bow. If only I had my NULA, or OMEGA, 91 etc.. Just then he turns and trots off... I feel sick but I know I did the right thing but boy does it sting.

Till next time MR. Big...

Well you have no need to feel bad.. being an ethical hunter to me is a great reward in itself. I commend you for not taking the shot. Most slob hunters would have shot and then taken the chance that they score. If you're seeing him this much, there is a good chance you will meet him again. Maybe thing time under circumstances that are in your favor. Besides, half the fun of chasing a monster is the chasing.. Hang in there, good decision making on your part and the next time you meet.. let him have it.

Too many times I have had that type of encounter, only to have it be the last. :wall: On the bright side, if he is with a lady, anything can happen!

Bow

I quit bow hunting for many a years because of a bad shot i took a long time ago when I was young and dumb. Everytime I thought I would take it up again, I would have to track a buddies or someones deer who did not think the shot through. You did right by the game and the sport!Stings for a while but not as long as knowing the deer was a bad hit and making it suffer.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have replayed the moment over and over and just cannot see any other outcome. It helps to hear your thoughts.

I will try again tomorrow night and hope to seal the deal then. I have been after this guy for 4 years and he is bringing attention in my area. Youth hunters will be out this weekend with shotguns and MZ's so my fingers are crossed. :nono:

Gun season starts after Thanksgiving.. I will have something for him then!

Grouse said:
A broad side shot behind the shoulder is a bad shot????? Why could you not shoot behind the shoulder?
I believe it was a head on shot and not broadside. I may have taken the head on shot but I would have to be in the situation. I have taken several quartering to shots on deer and bear and never lost one. I have however lost animals taking broadside shots. Go figure???

Grouse said:
A broad side shot behind the shoulder is a bad shot????? Why could you not shoot behind the shoulder?

That wasnt the case .. He was quartered to me and with that shot it is not possible to double lung the deer. He was not broadside.

Kinda like this...
Shot-Placemement-4.jpg

To double lung a deer with this shot, the path would be through the shoulder. Go behind the shoulder and you get one lung and guts. Go in front and you MIGHT get the heart.

I will also add that this deer is in the 250lb range on the hoof and not a small deer by any means.

Here he is..

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

How long did you cry after this? :lol:

That is one AWESOME buck!

Lol.. awhile Chuck! 8)

I was hoping to bag this big boy while you were in TX as the rut was in full swing here!

JJ...I really like you, man!

You did the right thing, for sure. However, I would have waited for him to look the other way and then quickly shifted my position about 20 yards to the left and taken him behind his left shoulder! That angle would have created a double lung scenario and by now he would be in the freezer and you would be wondering where the deposit money for the taxidermist was comin from.

Ya gots to stay mobile when huntin them big un's, man!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, he just gave ya the ol' Magilla shuffle....

Probably the one that you told me about last year, that was givin you fits on the other side of a fence but couldn't get close enough to. And what did Spit say? "Take it to him, play the wind, a few yards at a time, each day. "

Thats why we bowhunt!!

:lol: Man I love the story!! You are JACKED, man!! Keep it comin!

I'm going to play devils advocate. The 6 pointer I shot 3 weeks ago was quartering to me. I took him at 15 yards. I got the whole lung and heart. He was the shortest track I ever had aside from a spine shot. He went 40 yards and flipped over backwards. It's a deer not an armored car. The picture you posted with "don't shoot" on it is still a good shot. The crease on the front of the lead/front shoulder passes right threw the lungs. Your arrow/bolt will exit behind the back shoulder for a beautiful double lung shot. If you hit a little back your bolt will still pass through a shoulder blade with no trouble. I've shot through both "blades" with no trouble. I shoot fixed blades. Not a fan of mechanicals. If you are beyond 30 yards I would say all bets are off. Not sure if you gave the yardage though. That being said, I hope you get that rascal. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

This might be the final chapter to this story.. I believe this to be my 25 yard man... No way to know for sure but I remember the brow tines ...

This was hit just around the corner from my house and just before 2pm 2 weeks ago saturday..

:drinkers:

He's kinda young to be drivin' ain't he JJ?
:lol:

All kidding aside, and at the risk of sounding clinical....how does that make you feel?

Well.. It only stings for a minute. ( took me almost 2 wks to post ) 8)

Been hunting this dude for awhile only to get hit by a car darn near in my back yard.. :oops:

Honestly, it has ony fueled me more... after all, it is all about the HUNT isn't it? This isnt the last deer on earth and my guy and a few others still march on.. Cams will go back out soon.

The big boyz are back to nights and it seems I learn more every year.

Till NEXT year!

JJ....yes, it is all about the hunt....and that is ALL it's about. At least for me.
Unfortunately the kill is a necessary piece of the puzzle.

I would elaborate and pontificate, unfortunately my wife is urging/ prodding me to go shopping via the internet, for a "swing blade knife for my future son-in-law. See ya...I can't talk with her looking over my shoulder.

Spit

I saw the OSP cruiser in the background before I read the story. I just had the feeling it was going to be a deer strike. I hate to see them go that way. You wonder how they get that old and yet they still get hit by a car.
You still have shotgun and primitive time left, hopefully there still is a big one out there for you.

JJ.... Ya got anything else of size on the trail cams?
Do you hsve a late bow season in Ohio?

Latest posts

Back