Finally….

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Here’s a three-shot at 100 with the Patriot using the 225 grain .40 cal Fury Star-Tipped bullets pushed with 56 grains of IMR4198. The bullets rode in blue Harvester sabots. Snug loading but doable. The sabots came off the bullets fairly quickly and were located about 9 feet in front of the muzzle. None looked stressed. The Winchester 209 primers all shot clean. The powder left nothing in the barrel to speak of. I ran a patch down and back without pulling the plug and it came out looking like it did before the ride. There is nothing in the breech end that needs cleaning.

I used 200 grain .40 XTPs to get the rifle tuned in. Of course I screwed up. I used a 50 yard slow fire pistol target with a 6" black spot for the 5,6,7,8,9 and 10 rings. I shot the first shot and took a peek at the target thru the spotting scope. I saw a light hole low and right. I thought I did a better job on bore sighting, but one never knows how that will go when its just looking down the barrel and adjusting the scope to the spot you're looking at. I adjusted the scope according to that "hole". The second shot was high and left but quite a bit both ways. I walked down there to try and figure out how that could be and found that the first "hole" was nothing more than a spot of sunlight on the target and that I had way over compensated for the second shot. The first was actually only 2" high and 3" left, in the black and had I used a target spot like the one in the picture I'd have seen the first hole. [To self....take note!] So after farting around with six more shots using the XTPs I did this group in the picture after switching to the Furys..

I had 4 more charges weighed up but I needed to give the grandson's Omega .50 a couple loads to check it for him and the wind was really beginning to ramp up, so I called it a day. Next trip I'll be playing at 200 just for the heck of it.

So after having finally been able to shoot this critter, my thoughts are all positive. I really like the gun and how it handles at the range and an very appreciative of the weight. The recoil with this load it gets a tad punchy in a t-shirt after 11 rounds but isn't uncomfortable.

Attachments

• 99607CFF-B4AD-4FB1-A57A-74E7EBF8E5E4.jpeg
    99607CFF-B4AD-4FB1-A57A-74E7EBF8E5E4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here’s a three-shot at 100 with the Patriot using the 225 grain .40 cal Fury Star-Tipped bullets pushed with 56 grains of IMR4198. The bullets rode in blue Harvester sabots. Snug loading but doable. The sabots came off the bullets fairly quickly and were located about 9 feet in front of the muzzle. None looked stressed. The Winchester 209 primers all shot clean. The powder left nothing in the barrel to speak of. I ran a patch down and back without pulling the plug and it came out looking like it did before the ride. There is nothing in the breech end that needs cleaning.

I used 200 grain .40 XTPs to get the rifle tuned in. Of course I screwed up. I used a 50 yard slow fire pistol target with a 6" black spot for the 5,6,7,8,9 and 10 rings. I shot the first shot and took a peek at the target thru the spotting scope. I saw a light hole low and right. I thought I did a better job on bore sighting, but one never knows how that will go when its just looking down the barrel and adjusting the scope to the spot you're looking at. I adjusted the scope according to that "hole". The second shot was high and left but quite a bit both ways. I walked down there to try and figure out how that could be and found that the first "hole" was nothing more than a spot of sunlight on the target and that I had way over compensated for the second shot. The first was actually only 2" high and 3" left, in the black and had I used a target spot like the one in the picture I'd have seen the first hole. [To self....take note!] So after farting around with six more shots using the XTPs I did this group in the picture after switching to the Furys..

I had 4 more charges weighed up but I needed to give the grandson's Omega .50 a couple loads to check it for him and the wind was really beginning to ramp up, so I called it a day. Next trip I'll be playing at 200 just for the heck of it.

So after having finally been able to shoot this critter, my thoughts are all positive. I really like the gun and how it handles at the range and an very appreciative of the weight. The recoil with this load it gets a tad punchy in a t-shirt after 11 rounds but isn't uncomfortable.
Good shooting!! You are on your way now, Mr. Tom.

Thanks guys.

A couple guys showed up to shoot when I was ready to try the three shots with the Fury bullets. I had their attention after the first shot....they wanted to know what I was shooting for powder; no smoke. I told them IMR4198. 56 grains. Neither had ever heard such a thing with a muzzy. They were quick to comment on the report when the gun went off too. They did stand well back of me when I set the gun in the cradle to shoot. lol

I let them handle the gun and gave them the low-down on it and they were very impressed. One of the two said he'd "sell his soul" to be able to shoot a group like the pictured one with his AR.. I told him having to slow down the shooting period made a huge difference in group size.

I love all my muzzys but there's something different about the Patriot and smokeless. Its just in a league of its own. Addicting. I can see now that I'll be getting a lot of exercise this summer hanging targets.

My next session will pit 5744 against the 4198, just to see if there is any significant differences. Hoping to land a pound of N110 soon too as it sounds like another great powder that maybe has more cold tolerance than the IMR4198. Got lots of play time ahead of me. I'll be backing up to the 200 grain XTPs to work thru the powders as I have about 300 of them. When I get settled into a powder/charge that I think I will hunt with I'll break into the Fury 225's again and work from there. Like I said....lots of play time ahead.

To everyone that took their time and used their expertise to answer my myriad of questions, I offer a huge THANK YOU!

That will definitely do. Good job. I wish my wallet would allow me to shoot those Furys but alas I'm too darn cheap....LOL. Also the same reason I don't want to go smokeless!

Latest posts

Back