First Turkey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesota

Reaction score
:bounce: I got my first turkey yesterday!!! This was only my second year hunting for turkeys, so my record isn't too bad.. :D  I am hooked on turkey hunting now! Nothing like sitting in the dark in your blind listening to the birds gobble. I even got to call one in from probably 250 yards out! Talk about a rush! Too bad he turned and ran the other way as soon as he seen my decoys.... Anyways hunted Wednesday thru yesterday morning. Past on 2 jakes the first morning, and kicked myself the rest of the week for not showing one of them. But turns out that the one I got, was one of those 2!! Only saw6 birds in the 5 days of hunting, but thats ok, better then my deer season went...Bird only had nubs where the spurs should have been, and the beard ended up being 5" long.

1114BDDF-DC0B-44BC-BFF6-84A2887F1A41_zps9j2c7riw.jpg

22A14E58-B38E-4520-94EC-587FC8A7DF8F_zpsgqwwfbd4.jpg

187164E8-C0D6-4B59-9CE7-6FAB69999BB2_zpseop4aylc.jpg

F8ACFCB1-84F9-411F-B4C7-A18BDA7C72AC_zpsa4qe3si1.jpg

DA4A3E96-D626-44BA-A020-97E56CBA8DA9_zpsqwc7mucb.jpg

Nice job.  I find turkey hunting way more fun than deer hunting, I do both.  Don't feel bad about taking jake's, I don't.  We all love to shoot big tom's, hell my first bird was a 3 year old 24 lb'r!  A buddy of mine called it in and I shot it.  After that he said "There, that's how it's done....you're on your own"  Best advice he ever gave me.  The rest of that first season I made so many mistakes, but each time out you learn and get better.  Another bit of advice I've taken from an old-timer was...."take em when ya see em"

:cheers: Congrats BigDaddy  :!:

---------------------------------
p.s. Turkey hunting is exciting and a great game to hunt as you enter those senior hunting years ;)

I don't turn any down either. Keep it up.

Can you kill more than one/year up there?

Congrats on the turkey BigDaddy!  Each year you'll learn something new so you'll be even better the next year. The most important word in turkey hunting is "patience".  Once you master that the rest comes fairly easy!

Latest posts

Back