frustrated

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would stick with a sabot why lead up barrel when you dont need to. i use harvester sabot and a reg 45 cal pistol
bullet. black horn 209 is a must. all other powders require cleaning between shots in order to get the next bullet
down the barrel. not the case with black horn . harvester sabot p/t no# h50045SB

Your are concerned about leading yet shooting a 230 FMJ "ball" ammo for deer? Leading is only a problem if shot too fast. This topic is about conicals anyway. Not about shooting sabots.

just putting my 2cents in. try different conicals until you find a nice snug fit. i had to do that with sabot until i found
the right fit. that is the key, with any setup. it may get $$$ till you find the conical that fits. the only draw back.

Ive had coni's fall out once or twice. I have since learnt more about alloys and sizing that keeps them in place much better
How about sharing that info. Thanks
Most of what i learned, came from watching and reading IdahoLewis's tips on casting. A little tin in a lead bullet will stiffen it up just enough to hold its place in the barrel without sacrificing expansion.(40:1 lead:tin is all i use) And sizing to .0015-.002 over bore size, rather than a slip fit, along with the tin really made a dif for me when it came to keeping the bullet seated. I still check often, but havent had an unseated bullet in a while.

every one has there way of doing things. but i have seen over the years many leaded up barrels from people playing
around with that. but if you must have at it! my way less messing around and more accurate shooting. i also
under stand staying traditional muzzleloader. have fun and stay safe!

I was on a late season anterless hunt years ago, plenty of deer in & out of standing corn. With one of my shots all I got was a ‘puff’, primer then seemed like powder out the barrels.

I try to reload methodically, something lapsed here. I realize your situation different.

every one has there way of doing things. but i have seen over the years many leaded up barrels from people playing
around with that. but if you must have at it! my way less messing around and more accurate shooting. i also
Only folks that don't know better , listen to Lewis ! Not traditional just right./Ed

I see your new here ,enjoy the education !/Ed

im using federal 209a, and yes i have shot this load at range out to 100 yards never an issue. went to pull load this morning and no powder no bullet. i am thinking that the cast bullet must have moved off the powder and it just plopped out the barrel im going to look for it today. my breech plug was clear i popped off a couple of primers with patch in barrel and had a brnt patch so everything is working properly. i am going to put a veggie wad over powder then wool. i guess that im going to rethink cast bullets over bh209??
I like the No Excuses bullets as well. But was concerned about the bullet not holding in barrel. If I am hunting or planning on having loaded and not shot right away I put an oversized card over the bullet. It holds well. I also need a card over powder to get my no excuses to shoot well.

Will ordering an over sized mold and sizing them to be tight in a bore will this work I have no idea what 40-1alloy is up till now I bought bullets .503 and are snug in my bore
40:1 is just pure lead with a little bit of tin(2%?) in it to harden it a tiny bit. That little bit imho, is what helps the lead grip the rifling.
If i have a .501 or .502 barrel then i would have my bullets sized to .503, probably what you have.

I had basically the same problem as the OP when I started using BH209 and was preparing for a Colorado elk hunt. I had put a Lehigh bare primer conversion in my Knight DISC rifle, and I was trying either a PowerBelt or Borelock (don’t remember which). The first three times I tried the combo I got basically nothing. I switched back to a Barnes Expander with a sabot like I normally shoot, and the gun shot fine. All I could figure out is the bullet wasn’t seating completely. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for all your input it is very much appreciated. Just an update, the next day I went to push out load and no bullet no powder! Went to my blind bullet laying on floor! Went home cleaned good. Put in fresh load, put a veggie wad over powder then wool then bullet. I compressed this load as hard as I push on ramrod. Took it to my stand again compressed load as hard as I could push. Went to shoot it out at end of hunt, poof flames shot out of barrel and bullet bounced off my window net and landed beside me. Never had this happen at range. Must be something with these bullets and the cold barrel? Not maintains compression. I’m gonna try 777 with same setup see what happens

Another question, are you in a State or hunt at a location that requires ‘full bore conicals’, no sabots? If not, there would be an easy fix.

Just back from my MI hunt, snow & damp, 3 days rooting around, some snow then ice around the action. When I was done, load fired like it always does.

Latest posts

Back