Genesis shooting 110 grains Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Some members of the forum who own a Genesis, expressed the desire to see what happens in my Genesis, shooting 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 and some Shockwaves. So I remembered I had some 250 grain shockwaves around and it was a nice day.. so what the heck.

Rifle: Remington Genesis. 50 caliber stainless steel barrel
Scope: Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm no BDC
Powder: Blackhorn 209 110 grains measured by volume measure
Primers: CCI
Distance: 52 yards and 86 yards
Bullet: 250 grain Shockwaves & 250 grain SST
Sabots: MMP HPH 24 & 12
Weather: windy, sunny, 30 degrees

To prepare the rifle I followed the advise of a forum member. I dry patched the barrel. And then I shot off three CCI primers. After that I loaded as normal.

The first up was the Shockwaves in a HPH 24 sabot.

muzzleloaders010-1-2.jpg

That first shot shocked me. In fact after I fired, I kept checking the bullseye with the scope and could not see where it was on the target. So I walked up there and "a" was there. I really was at a loss as to why. Every thing felt right when I made the shot.

b-d were the next three shots. And I was very pleased with the group. Although surprised they were that high. I expected them lower for some reason.

1-4 was shot with SSTs. The difference, the red plastic nose, as the Shockwaves have a yellow, hard nose I think. Also I went to a tighter, thicker sabot the HPH 12 thinking that with this powder I tight sabot would be the most accurate. Why #2 happened is anyone guess.

I had one misfire or mis primer you could say. Shot #a went off fine. loaded again, pulled the trigger, the primer went off, the rifle failed to fire. I took the ramrod and checked the projectile. it was still on the powder charge. New primer. Fired like a spring day for shot #b. The only misfire all day.

muzzleloaders005-2.jpg

This photo is for a forum member that wanted to know how I stop all the bullets I shoot. Well they have to go through the target, then through Spruce blocks, through steel pressure tanks and finally hit some 3/4 inch hardened steel plate. As you might see, a few of the trees have been hit. Actually that entire range was "cut down" with gun fire you might say. As I shot at a sand trap in the early beginings.. the trees were hit and came down. So I loaded then as a back stop and would shoot through them and cut more trees down. The chain saw finally made the range what it is today.. so there you go.

muzzleloaders018.jpg

I hung a one gallon paint can on the very back stop. Knowing the rifle hit high at 50 yards I figured there would be a heck of a drop at this distance. Wrong again. My first POA was just under the large letter C. Shot #1 kind of surprised me. So I picked a new spot on the can and shot #2. Actually I was trying to dot the I but when I put the mark on it, on my editing software, it shifted and I never caught it. So the new POA was dotting the I. I then fired #3 but could not see the hit. Does #2 look like a double hit?

#4 was all my fault. I rushed the shot. Also it was the last shockwave. So I could not see if I could correct my mistake. I might have missed that can with #3 but I did not think so, as I was sure it was wiggling, looking through the scope.

So there you have it .. 110 grains of BH 209 out of a Genesis with Shockwaves and as an added bonus SSTs. I will not the different POI with the shockwaves and the SSTs. That might be caused by the different sabots though...

no, I do not index my sabots. I am very careful about what I do shoot. And I buy in bulk so my sabots mostly come out of the same batch. I am not sure that helps, but I feel it does.

barnes people please read

Reason I ask you to shoot the load is for several reason...I have shot lots of loads in my Genesis. I found 110 BH 209 250 shockwave and mmp 24 to be my very best load. I keep 2 inch groups at 150 yards holding dead center and I am just over 1 3/4 high at 100 yards. I am about 1 inch low at 50 yards...I have shot and shot and shot the Genesis and I can not find a bullet of barnes and a sabot of any make to hold a pattern. I have shot over a dozen different sabots and six different barnes bullets...now I have taken a lot of deer with the shockwave and happy with it to date. The previous experience I had with shockwave was not great...but then I started shooting BH209 and at 110 grains at deer. The death of deer was great...on game performance with the BH209 IMO allows the bullet to hit where expansion happens where when I was shooting other loads I was not getting that everytime like I have with the BH.

Now as far as misfires go...I have not had misfires on BH209 but what I have found is that the powder choice gives me a lot of mess to clean up in the breech area in general which I hate but think it is worth the con for the pros. I have not tried the teflon tape but may do so next year.

I would love to know why barnes does not shoot good in my gun...someone I really really trust and knows guns by experience says that the extra length and copper can play hell on a man sometimes when dealing with barnes....my heart wants to shoot them but my range time has proved its not the best load for me...I am lucky to keep a 6 inch group at 100 yards with the barnes.

Thanks for the range post!

I have some Barnes 250 grains around the house. I will have to try them. 110 grains again? Or anything you want to see?

love see some barnes 250 at 50 yards or less they great anything any further they go every where....I have a ton of stuff I need send your way that I couldnt get to shoot.

Back