Going shopping for all the necessities

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txgolfer56

Reaction score
I am checking the various threads for a list of necessities. Great info. I am putting together my shopping list. Probably the biggest decision is pellets vs powder. What would you get to start?

Powder for certain. Best of luck finding bh209. But T7 is getting scarce in some places too. T7 should perfom similar to bh209 but with diferent cleaning required. Pellets are ok if'n thats all you can get. 2-50grain pellets or even 2 60 grain mag pellets ought to shoot ok in that gun. 1-50grain and 1-60grain might even be your sweet spot with a 250grain bullet.

Bought all the recommended items including a range ramrod and a cleaning rod plus 245 gr Powerbelt sabot and Seven pellets. Going to the range on Saturday to sight it in.

Funny thing with those Powerbelts, people either love them or hate them.
I've only shot them at paper, so I have no opinion on how they perform on game.
Check your local Walmart because at the end of the year they mark down all the hunting stuff.
I bought a pack of Powerbelts last year for only 8 dollars.

Our local malwarts had nadda for ml supplies this year. Absolutely nothing.

Bought all the recommended items including a range ramrod and a cleaning rod plus 245 gr Powerbelt sabot and Seven pellets. Going to the range on Saturday to sight it in.
A word of warning with those PB's...don't push them any faster that you absolutely have to to get good accuracy. The copper covering on that bullet is guilded which means it's very thin. They fragment if pushed too fast... especially if they hit a shoulder. A far better choice would be the Harvester Sabertooth. It's got the built on gas check at the base like the PB but is a MUCH better constructed bullet. And like others have said, loose powder over pellets if you can find it. It's much easier finding the load your rifle likes when you're not hamstrung by having to use either 30, 50 or 60 grain pellets and a combination of the 3. Triple 7 loose doesn't get a crud ring quite as bad as pellets either.

I shoot 777 because it is cheaper and available. I swab between shots, which lets the barrel cool down, and means every shot goes where the cold barrel shot goes. If you do it right, you only need to shoot once when hunting.

Powder is cheaper and usually more accurate because you can adjust the load to your rifle. It also give higher velocity than pellets for the same grain load. Buy some small tubes to carry preloads while hunting. It is just as fast as pellets.

My friends have good luck on both deer and elk with thier Accura's using Barnes 290 gr. Expanders with about 120 gr. of 777. I carry the breechplug wrench in the field in case something goes wrong and I need to remove the breech plug. Use some automotive Anti-seize compound from an auto store, and your breechplug won't ever stick. Winchester 209's fit my .45 Accra breechplug the best without blowback.

I bought a couple of Lee sizers for my .45 and have used them to size .45-70 bullets down to .451. The manufacturers know what fools we are and price muzzleloader stuff accordingly. You can buy 350 gr. .458 Socom from Berry Bullets for about .$0.36 each from MIdway. Add a Harvester Crush Rib Sabot for $0.20, and you're way cheaper than most muzzleloader bullets you'll find. A 350 gr. bullet will stop a deer in its tracks, and will work on elk too. A bullet that big doesn't need a lot of powder behind it, so the recoil isn't bad.

Lots of folks believe that a 209 primer is too hot for 777 powder. It does make a crud ring, and some believe it actually moves the bullet before the powder ignites. I don't believe it moves a 350 gr. bullet. They make special reduced power primers for 777 and sell them at exorbiant prices. I found some old Federal 410 reduced power primers at a gun show that work fine, but come out black (blowback). Search this forum for shims and O-rings for how to stop blowback. Good hunting and Happy New Year.

You can buy 350 gr. .458 Socom from Berry Bullets for about .$0.36 each from MIdway. Add a Harvester Crush Rib Sabot for $0.20, and you're way cheaper than most muzzleloader bullets you'll find. A 350 gr. bullet will stop a deer in its tracks, and will work on elk too. A bullet that big doesn't need a lot of powder behind it, so the recoil isn't bad.
Illegal in any state that prohibits FMJ bullets for hunting.

I found some BH 209 powder today and picked it up along with a powder measuring device and BH 209 powder tubes. Also ordered a funnel cap for the BH 209 container from Amazon.
Just so you know....those measuring lines on those powder tubes are not accurate. Rely on your powder measuring device to throw your loads. Happy shooting!

Yeah, I don’t have much faith in those tubes. For me, the most accurate shooting comes from weighed charges.

Latest posts

Back