Hey Deernut tell us about

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You bet!

This isn't my biggest, but it is my favorite.
In Saskatchewan we have Primitive weapons/Shotgun only zones around our major cities and consequently some really big bucks can grow there. In fact I missed 170+ gross whitetail last year with my wolverine, hence the new Savage...but that?s another story.

I had been scouting for whitetails for several days and spotted this guy one morning working a tree line along a heavily wooded valley bordering some agricultural lands. I estimated he would score around 160, so I decided I would set up an ambush point and try to rattle him out of the valley the next day.

3 hours before "quitting" time, I headed to an area I thought he might be traveling and set up a make shift ground blind. I gave the area about a half hour to settle down and then began a rattling sequence. My technique is to rattle for a minute, wait fifteen minutes and repeat until the last half hour when I rattle for two minutes every 10 minutes. It sounds strange, but believe me it really works.

That evening I had 4 different bucks come in. Each one that came in got bigger and bigger. This guy came in with about 20 minutes left of shooting light. He charged across an open field from about 200 meters and stopped 50 yards in front of me with his ears pinned back and began beating up a small tree. At that point, I almost came unglued and I fired over his back with my Remington 870 express (Open sights). Well, he did the most foolish thing and ran closer to me as if to challenge my insolence for shooting at him. I settled down and dropped him in his tracks after that.

The very next day, I took my Dad back to the same spot and we rattled in a big 4x4 that he shot at 15 yards. Talk about exciting!

Here's my Dad's buck
2000_Dad_Buck.jpg

Here's a better pic of mine
2000_Buck.jpg

That is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.... I'll get up there to hunt whitetails someday. I was there hunting black bears about 8 years ago... It feels like it was 100 years ago though.
Thanks Again,

Jim

Latest posts

Back