How long can I leave loaded?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forge

Reaction score
I’m planning on using my stainless Ruger Old Army to hunt with during muzzle loader season this coming season. If I don’t fire it, how long can I leave it loaded without the charge being “off?” Muzzleloader season is 9 days long and I would discharge it afterwards. I’m relatively new to muzzleloading, but the bug has bitten me hard!

I have the 1858. I can leave mine loaded for weeks at a time with no firing issues. The only thing to be aware of is making sure the primers and powder stay dry. The lube and wads I use keep it dry from the front. A small rubber tube over the primer will help seal it from the back. Under the right conditions this could last indefinitely.

I plan to use mine for the same this year. My load will be 30 gr of 777 3F, a felt wad, and a 200 gr Lee REAL. Capped with CCI #10.

I’m planning on using my stainless Ruger Old Army to hunt with during muzzle loader season this coming season. If I don’t fire it, how long can I leave it loaded without the charge being “off?” Muzzleloader season is 9 days long and I would discharge it afterwards. I’m relatively new to muzzleloading, but the bug has bitten me hard!
If your in good health , your lifetime!/Ed

If you load a clean pistol with cleared nipples and grease for lube away from real BP charge or no grease then seal in a moisture proof container it should be good for as long as the caps don't degrade. Over 20 years for the caps. Dry BP has been found to be good for over 200 years according to some old finds. I have personally chronograph tested old Dupont BP 3f over 50 years old. Within 30fps of my new 3f Goex...

I leave mine loaded from the night before deer season 'til the day after (unless I shoot it) or it gets wet/damp. Don't leave it in a holster at night, though. Never had a problem.

I guess since the muzzle loader season is so short, at only 9 days, I won’t worry about it. Obviously, if I shoot one anytime during, I’ll have to clean it anyway and will fire off the other rounds. Same thing with the last day of. Will fire it to empty it out and clean it. Any excuse to shoot my Old Army is a good one.

Back