How tight or loose on cast bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friction fit. You shouldn't have to pound them to get them started. They will conform to your barrel size once started so I don't think an oversize bullet stays put any better than a proper size one. I like to check them once in a while when hunting just for peace of mind.

That's what I trying to figure out just how much to go over, .5 or 1.0 or so I know not to tight an I know to loose it could move off powder.

if you are going to be ordering a mold and you know what your bore diameter is say .451 I would order the mold at .452. If using pure lead, you should be able to still push the bullet down fairly easily as pure lead is softer. If not, you can purchase from Lee Precision their .451 sizing die.

I agree with Ed, the bullets he sizes for me are .452, they start with firm thumb pressure and go down with steady resistance. If I push one through, you can see the rifling marks slightly engraved on the slug.
I personally would not want them any smaller.

I know ever gun different why I ask , just wasn't sure how much larger than bore.

Back