I know that this does not fit here, but....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ok like the subject says I know that this does not fit here, but I am guessing that here is where I will get the best info since a few of you are using this powder.

When I was at the Bass Pro shop I picked up a few cans of Lil Gun since I can not buy it localy, and wanted to give it a try. I plan on using some in my 10 ML's, but mainly purchased it to try in my .357 mag., and .44 mag. I can not find much data. There aren't even many loads on the Hodgdon web site and I would like to know others loads other have worked up using Lil Gun for these calibers.

Lil-gun can build pressures fast. With a 300 grain bullet (Barnes Ex MZ) I use 45 grains. Lil-gun eats vent liners pretty fast. In the earlier days with the savage some big loads of Lil-gun were in the 70,000 PSI range. I wouldn't use more than 48 grains even with a 250 grain bullet.

Lil' Gun is a powder to avoid-- really!

Lil' Gun, and a couple of other old bogus-suggested loads (N350, 3N37) are off the charts pressure-wise. A good way to tear up a Savage. I'm hardly kidding. :roll:

HighTechRedneck said:
but mainly purchased it to try in my .357 mag., and .44 mag. I can not find much data. There aren't even many loads on the Hodgdon web site and I would like to know others loads other have worked up using Lil Gun for these calibers.

I have no personal experince with it, but did a Google search for "357 lil gun" and found lots of references.

Randy is absolutely right! I have quit using Lil-gun in my muzzleloaders. Just don't like the effect onvent liners and the high pressure. I am happy with 5744 in my original 10ml. On the other hand Lil-gun is my powder of choice in my .221 fireball.

Roger
I'll give that a try. So far I have just looked at a few reloading manuals online, and the one on the Hodgdon web site is the only one that even had Lil Gun in it. They only had 4 or 5 loads with it on their site, so I started asking around on a few forums including this one.

Latest posts

Back