Knight 1-30 Shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Today in this fast moving world the old Knight 1-30 twist 45 cal. rifle is sort looked down on by a bunch of us as not the RIGHT STUFF for a quality modern 45 cal. inline. The negative portion being the 1-30 twist as the a more popular twist would be faster.

But for myself in my little world the old 1-30 Extreme/Elite are terrific shooters. I had moved all three of my 1-30's off and out of the house as I got caught up in the 1-20 twist of the Knight Super DISC. Recently I had the opportunity to pick up a blued Knight DISC Extreme that came to me in really really good shape - other than a small amount of pitting on the floor of the breech and at the very bottom of the bore. My original intention was that I wanted the Thumbhole Stock that came with it and I was going to use the rest for parts! It has not all worked out that way, I dropped the barreled action into a wood stock that I had acquired from Sqezer, took the TH stock to be inletted for the 'Forked Recoil Lug' and eventually down to the Big Dipper for a Camo job. I am going to go with this 'Lost' pattern

The barreled action... I have shot it 3-4 or four times on trips to the rock pit and/or the farm. The dang thing is just like a Timex 'load it - shoot it' - it really does not care what you load it with or what you shoot from it - it is just repetitive over and over again...

Yesterday we made the trip to the farm, the field was really muddy but I made the trip out in the mud to set up clay birds at different ranges and different shooting angles. I set out 10 birds if a I remember correctly and then it became fun time.

The rifle is really sighted in for a Lehigh/Bloodline 40x200 inside a MMP Light Tan sabot, but today all shot was Speer 40x180 Gold Dots and a couple of Nosler 40x200's. I am running out of the Noslers so I am being a bit stingy with them until I can replace them. They are an excellent shooting bullet and also would make a great 'deer' getter.

Pictures are not the best in the world but hopefully you can get the idea of what was going on...

Today when I cleaned the rifle I also decided that I would try to seal the pitting up a bit so I ended up cleaning the bore 'spic & span' and then I heated the barred action with so that the pores of the barrel would open a bit and I applied Dyna*Tek bore coat to the receiver and the bore. I am hoping that this application might for a seal and bond with the small bit of pitting in the bottom of the bore. Just another one of my experiments... hope it works

Long-Shot said:
...And did you break all the birds?

All but 3... and those three had the center shot out of them... like you were doing when you were shooting at the farm. You Marines should not be allowed to shoot with us mere mortals... :D

One of the three, a 77 yard bird I shot twice and just made the hole a little larger in the center of the bird.

Next time you come down... that should be the plan - I'll shoot the bird and you shoot the chips!

A good shooting rifle is hard to beat. Nice shooting!

sabotloader said:
Long-Shot said:
...And did you break all the birds?

All but 3... and those three had the center shot out of them... like you were doing when you were shooting at the farm. You Marines should not be allowed to shoot with us mere mortals... :D

One of the three, a 77 yard bird I shot twice and just made the hole a little larger in the center of the bird.

Next time you come down... that should be the plan - I'll shoot the bird and you shoot the chips!

Sounds like a plan! :yeah:

LarryBud said:
I can't speak to the 1:20 but my 1:30 Elite shoot lights out with a variety of 10mm projectiles.

Nice looking guns there SBL.

Thanks Larry - the blued one is even growing on me...and the blued barreled action just fits in a wood stock - it just should be in wood!

You don't see that many of those wood stocks like that one. It sure is purty! :drool: :drool: :drool: And looks like it shoots good too. 8)

Let us know how the Dyna Tek does. I am real interested to see how that works. My MK-95 Parts rifle has very slight pitting just in front of the BP in the first 1/8" of rifling. If that holds up for you, I might get that kit for it.

sabotloader said:
LarryBud said:
I can't speak to the 1:20 but my 1:30 Elite shoot lights out with a variety of 10mm projectiles.

Nice looking guns there SBL.

Thanks Larry - the blued one is even growing on me...and the blued barreled action just fits in a wood stock - it just should be in wood!

That is where my pitting is also... dang real BP... I really think it should work as I hope because the bore coat was applied liberally in that are and should have dropped and dried in the pits. Next process will be to fire cure the Bore Tek - should take maybe 10 shots, but I will take more for sure it is hard to stop at 10 when the rifle is shooting well.

Back