Knight 50 Disc Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When Chet learned i had drawn a couple of doe tags for Lacreek National Wildlife Refuge near his home, he offered to show me around. Wife and i stopped at Chet's place, met his wonderful family, and i was privileged to shoulder his mountaineer. Then we went on to the refuge, where Chet took us on a whirlwind tour of the 'good' places to hunt. After we unhooked the trailer, wife and i continued looking over the refuge on our own. Doing this, revealed Chet had shown us the very very best places to hunt, even though he would be hunting for a buck at the very same time.

At his place, i had expressed an interest in his 50 disc extreme. The next morning Chet showed up at the trailer with the rifle, and i made a purchase.

Yesterday i robbed the V2 of it's scope, and mounted it on the extreme. While we were traveling an old/new scope arrived from Leupold Custom Shop, and it was mounted on the 45 elite. Part of the day was spent getting them rifle to print on paper at 50 and then 100 yard.

In both rifle the fpj breech plug was replaced with with a nfpj breech plug, and the adapter installed on the bolt. The nfpj plugs and adapters were purchased from Knight and Gander Mountain. The plug purchased from Knight had been used in the 45 elite a while back; had the vent liner erode from 0.031" to 0.035". The brazed in vent liner was removed with drills, and replaced with a stainless steel vent liner. The plug from Gander Mountain was brand new, and has the brazed in vent liner in place.

It was my intention to use the new nfpj plug in the 50 extreme, but the W209 primer were so tight that the bolt couldn't be opened without persuasion. Both nfpj plugs worked in the 45 elite. The adapter used on the extreme bolt had to be driven on with a mallet; the adapter on the elite bolt slips on and off loosely.

This morning i went up and tried to do some serious shooting with them rifle. The elevation up there is abut 4700', and the temperature went from 55 to 70 whilst shooting paper.

The load used in the 50 extreme was 110g BH209, 300g Deep Curl, hph 12 sabot, and W209 primer.

The load used in the 45 elite was 120g BH209, 200g SST, blue Harvester sabot, and W209 primer.

P1000866.JPG

The holes in the top target were made by the 45 elite; the holes in the bottom target by the 50 extreme; both were shot from about 100 yard with the cds dials set at 1. Minor adjustments were made in both windage, and elevation on both scope. After it warmed up some, the bolt on the 50 extreme refused to open with out using the persuader, to beat it open.

In the middle target, the holes to the right of center were punched by the 45 elite at about 200 yard with the cds dial set on 2. Three of the holes to the left of center on the middle target were made by the 50 extreme with it's cds dial set at 2, from about 200 yard. The bolt of the extreme had to be pounded open with a mallet. The windage of the 3x9 ultra-light on the elite was clicked 5 left, and a fourth shot taken; it can be seen this shot went into a hole previously made by the 50.

The first picture of the extreme shows it with the persuader.

P1000870.JPG

P1000869.JPG

Note how close the 33mm objective on the elite is to the barrel using the Weaver low rings. These low rings are lower than other low rings.

P1000867.JPG

You might want to try some TC 300 grain shock wave bullet with the black sabots and Tripple Seven. I like the red plastic disc as well. Real easy to use when your fingers are cold.

rat trapper said:
..........................try some TC 300 grain shock wave bullet with the black sabots and Tripple Seven.....................

I only killed 5 deer with the 300 shockwave. Them deer followed me home, but what i saw in the way of tissue destruction was less than what the bullet i use now will do. As far as 777 goes, i just don't wish to go back and experience the crud-ring again.

Your shooting with those CDS equipped scopes is really great. I know BH works great for you, my crud ring issues w/ T7 went away forever when I started shooting SR primers in the Variflame adapters in my Omega.

Be blessed.

JStanley said:
......................... my crud ring issues w/ T7 went away forever when I started shooting SR primers in the Variflame adapters in my Omega.

Be blessed.

Them Variflame worked for me too, reducing the crud ring, but it was still there in my Omega.

Well after reading Ron's experience with a Knight NFPJ breechplug I decided to try mine. Its been in my Green Mountain 54-120 for some time now however I never tried inserting a primer and closing the bolt. No go on a Fed209A, Rem STS and a Win T7 needed the bolt handle smacked down and then smacked back up. I called Knight Rifles and was given the number of their gunsmith to call. He was unfamiliar with the new breechplugs being made by Lehigh for Knight and could not provide and helpful information. He suggested sending the breechplug back and just getting my money back???

I believe the breechplug was coated in Gun Shield(?) which Knight is applying to the new models. Hopefully the Letter C bit I have on the way will scrape the coating off the inside of the priimer pocket.

I have the Lehigh Gen II plug currently in my .45 Elite and it had previously been in my Green Mountain 54-120 and it works wonderfully.

Kind of strange though that the gunsmith for Knight was unfamiliar with the new breechplugs. I do believe its the same breechplug in the 2011 Mountaineer if ordered set up for NFPJ shooting.

Omega45 said:
Well after reading Ron's experience with a Knight NFPJ breechplug I decided to try mine. Its been in my Green Mountain 54-120 for some time now however I never tried inserting a primer and closing the bolt. No go on a Fed209A, Rem STS and a Win T7 needed the bolt handle smacked down and then smacked back up. I called Knight Rifles and was given the number of their gunsmith to call. He was unfamiliar with the new breechplugs being made by Lehigh for Knight and could not provide and helpful information. He suggested sending the breechplug back and just getting my money back???

I believe the breechplug was coated in Gun Shield(?) which Knight is applying to the new models. Hopefully the Letter C bit I have on the way will scrape the coating off the inside of the priimer pocket.

I have the Lehigh Gen II plug currently in my .45 Elite and it had previously been in my Green Mountain 54-120 and it works wonderfully.

Kind of strange though that the gunsmith for Knight was unfamiliar with the new breechplugs. I do believe its the same breechplug in the 2011 Mountaineer if ordered set up for NFPJ shooting.

Steve the breech plug for the Knight DISC Extreme/Elite is not the same as the plug for the Mountaineer. They will not interchange - the Mountaineer plug is longer and if I remember right the primer depth is not as deep.

Also I am not sure that the bore coat IS going on the Breech Plugs - It is being applied to the bore but beyond that I am not sure.

I will try to get a picture up later...

sabotloader said:
............................Also I am not sure that the bore coat IS going on the Breech Plugs - It is being applied to the bore but beyond that I am not sure............................
My notion is they are applying the bore coat to the breech plug. My evidence is the size of the flash hole, and the too tightness of the primer pocket. The vent liners i purchased from Lehigh have a flash hole of 0.032". The flash hole of the brazed in vent liner of these new Knight nfpj plugs is 0.031". It is my suspicion the difference is due to the bore coat. Further, them vent liner look different than the normal Lehigh vent liner which are hardened, and may be hard enough to scratch glass. I have a suspicion the vent liner in these plugs aren't hardened because of the desire to braze them in place. Also, in my experience, the brazed in vent liner erodes at about the same rate, as the vent liners i make from Holo-Krome screws, which i don't harden; i don't know how.

I forgot to mention that i was able to open up the primer pocket some. What i did was spin the plug as fast as my lathe can go, and use the plastic steel wool substitute cut in strips to fit into the primer pocket. The lathe was spun in both directions, and the strips were replaced with new, when it seemed the grit had worn. The pocket doesn't get larger right away, but with time, it gets real shiny, and some larger. I am now able to fit the W209 primer into the breech plug, and can pull the bolt back after firing, with my hands. It seems i won't need to pack the mallet with me if i carry the extreme whilst hunting.

Sabotloader,
Breechplug went out this morning. Lady at the PO said you should have it by next Wednesday.

Omega45 said:
Sabotloader,
Breechplug went out this morning. Lady at the PO said you should have it by next Wednesday.

That will work... will let you know when I get it... It time permits it should be a pretty quick turn around.

mike

sabotloader said:
Omega45 said:
Sabotloader,

That will work... will let you know when I get it... If time permits it should be a pretty quick turn around.

mike

i like the 20mm or the straight tube with no bell. they make more sense to me. rather than a 4-16x50 with adj objective on a 30/30.i saw that one time. nearly choked on my snuff.

Latest posts

Back