Knight Disc Extrm 52 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a disc extreme in .52. Great rifle, very accurate. .52 bullet hits hard. I cast my own with accurate mold 52-530I. Target was from last outing a few weeks ago, 52-530I 95gr by volume of FF T7 giving me an average velocity of 1425. Hopefully it’ll wipe the snot off of an elk this year!
Kingwalter, I’ve also just purchased one of these rifles and am excited to start tinkering with it. Do you load these cast bullets right on top of the powder? Or put a wad in between?

I use a felt wad .54
Kingwalter, I’ve also just purchased one of these rifles and am excited to start tinkering with it. Do you load these cast bullets right on top of the powder? Or put a wad in between?
I use a felt wad .54 caliber. With the flat base conicals I feel it helps protect the base from the charge.

Ok that’s good to know. Did you adjust the specs of your mold at all?
Yes, so what I did was get pin gauges, and measured the bore size. I got the pin gauges from Amazon, not terribly expensive but kinda bummer for a one time use. My bore measured right at .521 so I ordered .522 with a positive tolerance (+.002/-.000) then I luberi-size to .522. I like my bullets to be .001 over bore size as they seem to stick in the bore a little better while taking it for long walks, aka hunting.

I get the lubri-sizing dies from buffalo arms as the will make custom dies. If you don’t have a lubri-sizer press you can buy push through sizers for a reloading press from Northeast Trading Company, which work great as well.
That’s great information. Thank you!

The only reason I never bought one was sabot availability. I didn't like having to rely on one source, Knight, for components. Casting my own would change that.
Too many choices. I'm waiting to see what the Woodman's Omega version looks like before I buy another muzzleloader. Otherwise, a .52 or 1/20 Ultra-Lite barrel are calling to me.

The only reason I never bought one was sabot availability. I didn't like having to rely on one source, Knight, for components. Casting my own would change that.
Too many choices. I'm waiting to see what the Woodman's Omega version looks like before I buy another muzzleloader. Otherwise, a .52 or 1/20 Ultra-Lite barrel are calling to me.
I agree. It’s a good caliber. I wish it had gotten more popular. I can’t speak for the sabots but I understand they hit hard. In Oregon I have to use full bore lead for hunting, and that made .52 pretty “easy”.

I agree. It’s a good caliber. I wish it had gotten more popular. I can’t speak for the sabots but I understand they hit hard. In Oregon I have to use full bore lead for hunting, and that made .52 pretty “easy”.
For the price they’re closing them out for, I thought man, You can’t beat that! GM barrels, Timney triggers, that’s a high quality rifle. I have everything but a sizer to cast bullets and enjoy doing it. I figured I’d be able to find a bullet mold that would work well with the rifle.

For the price they’re closing them out for, I thought man, You can’t beat that! GM barrels, Timney triggers, that’s a high quality rifle. I have everything but a sizer to cast bullets and enjoy doing it. I figured I’d be able to find a bullet mold that would work well with the rifle.
It is a good deal. Hope they aren’t getting rid of the .52 completely. I would like a mountaineer in .52 just haven’t done it.

Molds I have a bunch from accurate. My favorites that shoot the best have been 52-510m, 52-530I and I just got a 52-545m that looks promising haven’t shot it yet though.

FYI. I emailed knight and they responded that they have discontinued the .52 in the mountaineer a couple of years ago and currently discontinuing it in the disc extreme. Bummer, I would love to have one in the mountaineer.

Sorry for dragging this thread out. But, one other thing I thought of while cleaning my rifle ( if you don’t do this already) I highly recommend using a thin layer of Teflon tape on the threads of the breach plug. It’s makes it easier to unthread. I have used different greases but good old Teflon works great. If you do a search on here for Teflon tape, sabotloader does a good write up on it with good pics.

Sorry for dragging this thread out. But, one other thing I thought of while cleaning my rifle ( if you don’t do this already) I highly recommend using a thin layer of Teflon tape on the threads of the breach plug. It’s makes it easier to unthread. I have used different greases but good old Teflon works great. If you do a search on here for Teflon tape, sabotloader does a good write up on it with good pics.
It’s a neat caliber that is a shame. Just never caught on I guess. Hey, keep it going all the info is much appreciated! What’s your opinion on the 52-450i mold? That’s the one that caught my eye. I have no problem shooting a 500+grain bullet if they’re just superior. But the rifle will mostly be used for whitetail and the occasional bear out east here.

In the last year I have bought 2 of the .52, one disc extreme and a mountaineer when they were both on sale. I did so because of reading about the .52 on here! I got the disc extreme all scoped up and changed to bare primer .I hope to shoot it this week or next. I bought some 325 ftx and I bought 300 sabots from knight when I bought the mountaineer. I hope I don't have any trouble getting the sabots since it sounds like they are doing away with the .52 at knight . Does anyone know if there is anybody that sells .52 cast bullets? As I don't cast my own bullets!
Thank you

In the last year I have bought 2 of the .52, one disc extreme and a mountaineer when they were both on sale. I did so because of reading about the .52 on here! I got the disc extreme all scoped up and changed to bare primer .I hope to shoot it this week or next. I bought some 325 ftx and I bought 300 sabots from knight when I bought the mountaineer. I hope I don't have any trouble getting the sabots since it sounds like they are doing away with the .52 at knight . Does anyone know if there is anybody that sells .52 cast bullets? As I don't cast my own bullets!
Thank you
I have these ordered to try.

https://parkerproductionsinc.com/co...nter/products/52-cal-530gr-traditional-hunter

Latest posts

Back