Knight Disc Extrm 52 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 52-545m looks good, I haven’t shot it yet. Will be after my hunting seasons are over before I get a chance. As for the sabots, I didn’t ask but would assume they would sell them for awhile.

I don't know but Ill bet somebody makes the sabots for them . I'm sure someone on here knows , but I don't ! Whoever does hopefully they keep making them and somebody can sell them.

Have you and your son had a chance to break 'em in? Thoughts?
I have not shot them yet. I'm in the middle of hunting seasons here. I'm still in the process of outfitting them with the SSK bare primer BP and adapter (adapters are out of stock) and peep sights. Haven't decided which peep sight set up that I'm going to use. (No scopes in Wa.State.) Like all of the Knight products, quality seems very good. I will report on it after firing.

I don't know but Ill bet somebody makes the sabots for them . I'm sure someone on here knows , but I don't ! Whoever does hopefully they keep making them and somebody can sell them.
I sent Knight a e mail asking the question about the 52 cal sabot if they are going to discontinue them or still have them available on there site.
I’ll let you know when I find something out.

Last edited:
I sent Knight a e mail asking the question about the 52 cal sabot if they are going to discontinue them or still have them available on there site.
I’ll let you know when I find something out.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of sabots vs full bore lead bullets?

I just got the e mail from Steven and yes the 52 is discontinued but they will carry 52 cal sabot & accessories.

But on a good note I just got done with my 52 Mountainneer build thanks to you guys,
But it’s been on the back burner for 6 months.
And yes, I took off the th laminated stock because it was bulky I don’t like bulky stock,
And put it in a DE stock.

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpeg
    IMG_1092.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of sabots vs full bore lead bullets?
Some states do not allow sabots. Also, bullet to bore can be easier to load and more accurate is some cases. I am doing a big lead bullet for the novelty, hopes of elk hunting in Colorado, and the fact that they perform excellent on game.

I just got the e mail from Steven and yes the 52 is discontinued but they will carry 52 cal sabot & accessories.

But on a good note I just got done with my 52 Mountainneer build thanks to you guys,
But it’s been on the back burner for 6 months.
And yes, I took off the th laminated stock because it was bulky I don’t like bulky stock,
And put it in a DE stock.
That doesn’t surprise me.I absolutely love my 52 guns.my buddy was watching what I was doing with them and promptly purchased one.needless to say he is hooked .I can understand why they would stop making them, just never caught on.

Some states do not allow sabots. Also, bullet to bore can be easier to load and more accurate is some cases. I am doing a big lead bullet for the novelty, hopes of elk hunting in Colorado, and the fact that they perform excellent on game.
I apologize for my ignorance in advance. What makes you all decide to shoot the big 500+grain cast bullets over say a 400 grainer?

I apologize for my ignorance in advance. What makes you all decide to shoot the big 500+grain cast bullets over say a 400 grainer?

Heavier bullets hit harder, like using a heavier hammer. That said, 400 grain bullet will kill anything in North America. And with full bore lead you don’t get the velocity you do with sabots so your relying on that heavy kinetic energy to kill.

Rifle twist has something to do with it. With a 1-26 twist in the 52 cal, a big slug of 1 inch or more is getting into the sweet spot for optimum bullet stabilization. Not saying a 400 grainer wont shoot but the faster twist in the big bores really shine with a longer = heavier bullet.

What makes you all decide to shoot the big 500+grain cast bullets over say a 400 grainer?
TBH in my youth I read everything Elmer Keith and Ross Seyfried published, plus a lot of U.S. Army ballistics tests done with black powder in the late 1800s. I think that biased my preference in bullets. Most of my hunting is for pigs at close range in thick cover. Big chunks of medium hard cast lead are cheap and work well here.

I have .52 molds from 300 to 610 grains. Leaves, twigs, vines, limbs and even small saplings close in front of the target can be ignored out to 25-50 yards. At my home range, watching a 52 DE with a power stem breechplug and 150 grns(V) of Pyro RS drive a 600-grain slug through 2 feet of cedar or poplar logs always amazes me. Plus, it makes splitting firewood easier and a lot more fun.

Latest posts

Back