Lehigh 245 Grain Controlled Fracturing Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_1587.JPG

Last summer this Lehigh 245g controlled fracturing bullet was tested by shooting it through carpet, plywood, and water jugs. Performance was superlative. Recently, it occurred to me, that i had no knowledge about the accuracy of this bullet. This morning there was a chance to beat an incoming storm. Temperature was 30. Wind was almost zero.

The Omega Dream Season, with a 1.5-5 scope, did the shooting. The load was 110g Blackhorn, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The Lehigh bullet had never before, been shot through the Dream Season. The first shot from the cold clean barrel was made using the XTP bullet, to see if the bullet would hit paper. The next three shots were made using the Lehigh bullet. These three shots measure 1 3/4" center to center. The smoke from the powder drifted left. Then the next two shots were made using the XTP bullet. The three holes made by the XTP measure 2 3/8" center to center.

Then two more shots were taken using the Lehigh bullet, from a warming barrel. The smoke from these shots drifted to the right for the one, and away for the other. The five shots measure 3 3/8" center. One vial of powder remained, and the last shot was made using the XTP bullet. Every shot went higher higher, and it seems i could have waited longer between shots; it was cold.

IMG_1588.JPG

While both grouped really well, I find in interesting how much more on target the xtp's were in comparison to the lehighs. Is that rifle dialed in for a particular bullet/load?

Come on Scott....... :d'oh!: ....... temperature is in the OP......30 degrees.

Mike, i believe the scope was actually dialed in for the 300g XTP, but cannot remember. The low shot on the XTP target is the one from the cold clean barrel. This for sure, is the first, and only time the Lehigh were shot in this rifle.

Regarding the doodah............ :bored:

I like the grouping size on the first 3 Lehighs. I'm sure your 5 shot group would have been smaller if you had let the barrel cool some more.

Perhaps the warming barrel did push shot 7 & 8 out away. The shots in the photo are numbered in order.

IMG_1589.JPG

However, shot 9 sure nestled in with shot 5 & 6. Shots 7 & 8 went the same way as the smoke from the shot. It was 30 degrees up there. Me i am kinda inclined to blame the wind more than the warm barrel for the scattered shots, because of how shot 9 hit, but.......certainly don't know for sure. The good old XTP sure did good, especially if one removes the first shot from a cold squeaky clean barrel

Most of this one, except the top all thread, was purchased at our local little gun store. In the past i have made a couple. The legs are made from a 6' tube steel. Front leg is 32" long. Rear leg is the remnant, and is 40" long. The horizontal connectors are a four foot 5/16" all thread, cut in half. These 2' all thread, are spaced 2' apart.

My problem is i shoot on windy days at longer ranges, and bullets hit the legs from time to time; they require repair, and replacement. Also shooting bullets at 200 yard before they are tried at shorter ranges; has them sometimes cutting the all thread, or damaging the legs. It seems i need to replace the cardboard backer quite often, but that is not a problem, once i started cutting the cardboard on the table saw.

Thanks!! Looks like I will have to make one, can't seem to find any like it. The range where I shoot is in NF an it can get plenty windy at times...

Ron,
I had a frame made today, but the shop drilled the bottom holes front leg on wrong side. An after I made sure they understood the directions... :roll: Another question? What is the length of the chain you use on yours on both sides? The pic appears that the back legs are upright, but with the 40" back legs they lien back more like a brace and the front legs stand straight up, correct?

toytruck said:
...... back legs they lien back more like a brace and the front legs stand straight up, correct?
Yes. Front legs don't stand quite vertical, but much more so than the back legs. Chains are each 16" long.

Latest posts

Back