Lyman .54 flintlock deer stalker help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U.P. Hunterman

Reaction score
I have acquired a brand new flintlock smokepole from a neighbor. This is my 1st flintlock, so where's a good place to start on loads? I plan on prbs. Do I have to use traditional powder, or can I use 777, bh209, etc? Any help for a start would be great. Thanks all.

Congrats on finding a nice rifle.
Real black powder 2f or 3f, whichever you can get.
For the main charge, you could dump 10 grains or so of black powder first followed by a charge of Triple 7 or Pyrodex.
Real black for the pan always.
Blackhorn 209 will not work in a flintlock.

Get a box of .530 round balls and a couple different thickness of patches. .010, .015 maybe some .018 pillow ticking. Don't get prelubed patches if you can help it.
Dry are better, you can make your own lube.
For powder charges, I would say to start with about 60 grains by volume and go from there.

I just bought that very rifle. Loads aren't much of a problem with that thing...and it is accurate. Bought it because the same rifle in percussion is one of my favourites. But where I burn Pyrodex in the percussion Deerstalker, I use strictly real black powder (Goex) in the flinter. Reason being the real black (3f) is much easier to ignite with the flintlock system.

Using 3f you could shoot PRB or the lighter PowerBelts in loads from 50 to 80 gr. I think you could go as high as 100 gr to shoot PRB only.

The problem, if there is one with the Deerstalker, is getting the flint version to ignite as fast and as reliably as the percussion version.

It is capable of fast ignition, because it has done it. OTOH there is typically a delay between the pan charge ignition and the main charge. I use 4f black powder in the pan to give this thing every chance.

Besides 3f and 4f black powder, you might want to invest in a few different flints. The flint that came with mine did not work well and didn't throw many sparks. I now have a blonde French flint that does much better...but I don't know if it's good enough. This is my first flinter, so I'm still learning.

Don't forget to clean down into the patent breech & get rid of all oil there before going to the range. Don't forget to wipe the pan, frisson, and flint clean before every shot. Don't forget to check that the wedge is tight holding the barrel in the stock fore-end. My wedge was so loose I'm surprised I didn't lose it.
Bob

Last edited:
Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading is a good source for flints.
They carry black English and French amber.
Something like $ 2.50 to $ 3.50 a piece. Shipping is very reasonable but I would order a dozen or so.
There's a few videos on how to re-sharpen a gun flint. It's very easy to do once you see how it's done.

Thanks for all the great info! I can't wait to get started. Problem is where to find black powder...

I just looked at Graf&sons.
They have Swiss 1.5f and 4f in stock today.
They have a 4 pound minimum order.
The 1.5f will work for the main charge, it's a bit dirty but will work. 4f is ideal for pan priming.
You could order 3 pounds of the 1.5 and 1 pound of 4f.
Maybe check Buffalo Arms too. I don't know what they have in stock.

Back