Lyman Deerstalker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpittman

Reaction score
Looking at maybe getting a Lyman Deerstalker for Pa's flintlock season. I was wandering if anyone has one in .50 caliber and how they shoot. They have a 1 in 48 twist so I was hoping to be able to shoot sabots. Open to suggestions on comparable guns. Thanks fellows

round balls or conicals. Sometimes you can shoot sabots and they will do good so you never know until you try.

Try cutting back on your powder charge. I have a caplock with a 1: 48 twist, I went to 70 grs. and get good results with 240grn sabot. Let your rifle tell you what it likes, shoot some different projectiles and see which does the best.

You got that right HD1215 , we mostly want to force our will upon a gun while it should be the other way around ;)

I find it better to match a bullet to the gun so hunting loads can be made as strong as you want.

If you want to shoot sabots. 1-28 is really a better choice.

Yes i also like playing around with different bullets till i find one that the gun likes , mostly it will then shoot that bullet accurately with various charges

The two 24 inch long 1 in 48 inch twist barrels I have shoot sabots better than round balls with excellent 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

Caplock said:
The two 24 inch long 1 in 48 inch twist barrels I have shoot sabots better than round balls with excellent 3 shot groups at 100 yards.
What load are you using?

In the .45 caliber barrel I'm using 75 grains of fff Goex pushing a .40 caliber, 180 grain Hornady XTP in a Harvester sabot and getting 1.5 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards.
In the .54 caliber barrel I'm using 80 grains of fff goex pushing a .45 caliber, 240 grain Hornady XTP in an MMP sabot and it's shooting one inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

I think the depth of the rifling also counts for a lot when it comes to shooting sabots or conicals .

I also agree that the depth of the rifling has alot to do with what your rifle with shoot best. I play with different stuff as much as possible to find what will work in my rifles. that gives me a excuss to go to the range more. or at least thats what I tell myself. Sometimes I just admitt the truth and i am having fun.

Caplock said:
In the .45 caliber barrel I'm using 75 grains of fff Goex pushing a .40 caliber, 180 grain Hornady XTP in a Harvester sabot and getting 1.5 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards.
In the .54 caliber barrel I'm using 80 grains of fff goex pushing a .45 caliber, 240 grain Hornady XTP in an MMP sabot and it's shooting one inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards.
I'm guessing the light loads is why it's working in the slower twist. Along with short bullets.

That must be a pretty thick sabot you're using in the .54?

Agree with the short bullets also those 240 grains are TC Cheap Shots and i believe they are the same as the XTP bullets. As you know they are by Hornady.

If you like the Deerstalker you may be interested in the Pedersoli Country Hunter. It has a 1:34" twist. It's more traditional if that's something you like.

I ended up with a Deerstalker in .50 cal. I've yet to shoot it though. Soon... I chose it because it had a little more weight in case I use conicals. I also liked the fiber optic sights, recoil pad, and sling attachments. Plus I can drop in a Trade Rifle barrel with a PC Malcolm style scope.

Was looking at buying a Malcolm scope for my Hawken but the prices are just plain nuts here in za !

After having seen those scopes I knew I'd need one!

And I like the idea that I can drop in a Trade Rifle barrel on my Deerstalker stock. Kinda makes it a little like a T/C rifle. It also helps to reduce the overall cost. I figure the barrel and scope will be $600-700.

I also have been dreaming of a .54 cal Deerstalker barrel reamed smooth to use as a shotgun.

Latest posts

Back