Lyman Deerstalker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much really. It just seems as though it'd look better than a short barrel with a scope. But it'll fit in the stock of my Deerstalker thereby reducing the cost overall to have a rifle with a scope.

I'd kinda prefer a Great Plains Hunter as it has a quicker twist as I'd use nothing but conicals or sabots for something to hunt 100 yds and beyond.

If you have a spare .54 barrel you can have Bob Hoyt drill it out to smoothbore...

He's been recommended by others for the job as well.
I don't have the barrel. Just an idea I can't stop considering. BP shotguns are just too expensive. Maybe I could find a used barrel since the bore won't matter.

Spitfire said:
If you have a spare .54 barrel you can have Bob Hoyt drill it out to smoothbore...
How much do you think that would cost? I have an old 24 inch Renegade barrel that is pitted that I would like to do something with.

He comes highly recommended by several guys. In fact he's the only one recommended by anyone.

I understand that it shouldn't cost more than $100, but of course you'd have to talk to him.

What guage would a .54 caliber barrel wind up being after being bored out to be a shotgun?

I would like for it to be 24 ga, but I figure the max load would be reduced, which I'd be fine with. I'm not sure if a smith would be OK with doing such. Otherwise maybe a 26 ga.

Won't know 'til I get to that point I suppose.

I don't see myself loading up heavy with powder as small game animals and little birds don't require much.
But I have considered, if it will do well enough, to try for a turkey load. With a cylinder choke I'd have to get fairly close.... I'm not really sure how I'd develop a load for that as I'd want lots of heavy pellets!
The way I understand it lightening the powder and increasing the shot will help keep the pattern more dense.

Not sure how to make a shottie pattern but it sure will be a fun experience getting it right !

Fooling with patterns is for the expert. I use to make a living in the 70's trap shooting. I always had my chokes patterned by Al Timney. Shoot/hone..shoot/hone etc. He always did my chokes and triggers. He had a trailer that was a machine shop, and was at all the shoots.

Muley said:
Fooling with patterns is for the expert. I use to make a living in the 70's trap shooting. I always had my chokes patterned by Al Timney. Shoot/hone..shoot/hone etc. He always did my chokes and triggers. He had a trailer that was a machine shop, and was at all the shoots.
Did you ever see your buddy, Obama, at those shoots? I understand he's quite the shotgunner. :suspect: :afro:

patocazador said:
Muley said:
Did you ever see your buddy, Obama, at those shoots? I understand he's quite the shotgunner. :suspect: :afro:
Two things wrong with your post.

Obama is hardly my buddy. I didn't vote for him.

70's???? Do you know how old he was then Reb?

If he's a shotgunner, age doesn't matter.
The 70s wasn't that long ago. I don't feel a lot older than I did then ... until I look in a mirror. :no:

Well, in 1970 he was 9 years old. Entry fees were to $1000.

Somehow, I don't think he was there.

Latest posts

Back