Lyman Deerstalker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahaha obama and his shotgun pic. I laughed at that and just rolled my eyes.

"Fooling with patterns is for the expert."

I've read that, with muzzleloading shotguns, one can change up the pattern a bit by changing the powder charge vs shot weight

From what I found on the net, a cylinder bore ought to give a 26" pattern at 15 yds, 32" pattern at 20 yds, and 40" pattern at 25 yds. I'd certainly like to tighten that up if possible.

I don't know how much can be changed by changing the load, but I'd give it the ole around the block.

I've also wondered just what a smith can do with a side lock barrel as far as giving it a choke. Or even threading a modern choke in (ducking). Problem, of course, would then be the gauge. I'd certainly need to go with a 28 ga as there couldn't possibly be enough meat to bore it out to a 20 ga.

And I've considered 28 ga as it sounds so petite, but frankly, being a muzzleloader, I could still pack an ounce of shot in there... I don't how limiting that may be for hunting certain animals though. But then again a 24 ga may not be big enough according to the regs...

We didn't have the option to fool with loads in the early 70's for trap shooting. The shot that was offered at the time for reloading was too soft compared to the factory ammo. In trap shooting the shots were at too long a distance to use soft shot. So, all we shot was new factory ammo.

Having a gunsmith rework the choke was our only option.

Latest posts

Back