Lyman Investarms GPR flinter "kit"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding job on that rifle rfd! You have taught me something new.
I've been using CYA (loctite 420) for years for crack repair while refinishing older recurve bows. Never thought to use it on new wood to strengthen from the beginning.
Another good satin finish with driers is formbys tung oil finish, available locally without shipping fees.
BLO or pure tung oil will still absorb moisture, so I like the harder finish also.

With age comes old eyes and I really like using aperture rear sights (and front sometimes, too!) more and more. Here's a fast and easy way to add a rear aperture to yer iron buckhorn or "U" - a neodymium "washer" magnet. I get them online from kjmagnetics and most are under a buck. They're type N42 and powerful as all heck. They will NOT budge, even with a magnum load, and they can be removed at any time with a good bit of pushing. I have different size holes and washer thicknesses, and even a few with a bevelled hole. It can really transform your aim big time! The front sight post will automatically center in the washer's hole and it will sharpen up that front blade.

GggHhDw.jpg

jt7xZjm.jpg

Zhz5Jka.jpg

5Ukl4rb.jpg

rfd said:
Started in on the finish, using original antique oil finish (linseed oil and polymer drying agents). While the first coat is drying off, I used a special 15/16" breech plug socket and an 18" Reed RCorp wrench to pull the barrel's plug - man, that socket is awesome and the plug came right off without the need for wrench handle extension. Again, the barrel's chamber and the plug flue and touch hole were full of proofing residue gunk. Cleaned it all up, used anti-seize lube on the plug and touch hole liner, homed them both down good.

B9dkCr2.jpg

RSuxrw0.jpg

ObbUm60.jpg

b9f3uSk.jpg

8k8qVHu.jpg

CsBIVQr.jpg

44vtTIy.jpg

Rfd,
Great project, its gonna be sweet. For my part thanks for showing me both the breech plug removal socket and the how to procedure, i.e. using a large pipe wrench . Just spotted one on ebay for 17.00 thanks.

make sure that special socket "wrench" is the correct size for yer breech plug, they come 13/16", 15/16", and 1" - 15/16" is for most lyman/dgw/cabelas/investarms rifles, but will fit other brands/models as well. super tool at a great price.

got to maiden it this morning, a very nice rifle ...

[youtube]asQQ0xO-fwY[/youtube]

Latest posts

Back