My New Lyman GPR 50 Cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my second replacement stock.
It is the worst of all three  :shock:
Apparently no one is inspecting the stocks before they are sent to me.
I just emailed them with pics and will call them tomorrow.
So frustrated  :slaps:

39306276934_e9ae6bdb7a_z.jpg

39117682645_9fb76d9ec1_z.jpg

What a freakin joke! Im making sure to share this on facebook, other forums as well as keeping Lyman informed of the lack of quality/quality control. That thing is junk and looks like it dry rotting with all that crumbly wood.

By the way, I HIGHLY suggest you tell lyman that you want an entire NEW rifle. This is not good!

I thought these would be better quality being made by Investarms.
My first Lyman GPR several years ago was a Beauty. what the heck happened ?
I won't buy another.

with cracks, i make sure their is no oil in them, just bare wood. then i drill a hole in the middle of them if the crack is hidden. small hole. then i keep putting super liquid glue in the crack via the little hole in the middle. let it dry for a day or so. never had one come apart after that. if the crack is where you can see it on the stock, make sure that area is stained the way you want it as you cannot stain super glued wood. you can stain it before you glue it though. open the crack some with pressure and put in thin liquid super glue. release and let dry. it will stay together. if the crack is the opposite side of the lock on the stock. i glue and pin from the top with a stainless steel sheet metal screw. first glue the crack. then from the top drill a very small hole down through the crack. take a non tappered sheet metal screw and put some super glue on the threads and screw it into the hole flush. that crack will never ever move again. cracks dont bother me. i was given a savage barn 22 gun with the stock in pieces. when i was done with it it was a very good gun to shoot and to look at. my son uses it on his trap line to finish the coons he catches frequently. their are so many frozen coon on the deck that ive stopped counting them. cracks are nothing, just fix them. beech almost never cracks, maple rarely, walnut is prone to it, never make a gun stock out of even a beautiful piece of oak. oak will start coming apart with the first shot you fire.cherry lasts forever and never ever warps.

With a "Brand New" rifle you don't want to be repairing cracks.  You're paying for a brand new stock "with out" cracks.  Lyman should be able to make this right.  An old barn gun is a different story.

shoot, that old shotgun from the 1880s is in better shape than that stock.

I wonder if they changed the wood supplier? They never had that problem in the old days and the old guns had a crazy looking grain. It's pretty plain now.

I bought a new Lyman GPR last fall around the first of November from Mid South . I haven't looked for cracks in the stock but the wood in my stock has a very open grain and if it is some kind of Walnut it is a poor piece. Other than  wood aesthetics it seems to be OK. I am going to check it out thoroughly this weekend.

Bear Claw said:
I wonder if they changed the wood supplier? They never had that problem in the old days and the old guns had a crazy looking grain. It's pretty plain now.
Yeah, the new stocks hardly have any grain in them at all. Look like old pressboard.

It looks to me like they are working those stocks with too high moisture content and those cracks happen when they finish drying.

The blanks those stocks were made from were not properly seasoned.  They were probably kiln dried.  They get the blanks on the cheap and then hope no one complains. 

45-50 years ago i cut an sold thousands of walnut stock blanks.

good walnut is starting to get scarce also, was told by a sawmill that good trees are getting hard to find as they are getting all logged out, so sawmills are making lumber from trees that they normally wouldn't of taken in yrs. past.

dbowling said:
good walnut is starting to get scarce also, was told by a sawmill that good trees are getting hard to find as they are getting all logged out, so sawmills are making lumber from trees that they normally wouldn't of taken in yrs. past.
That is fact.
Due to Thousand Cankers disease there is a lot of restrictions on transporting walnut these days. It's not so much the trees aren't available, they just can't be transported to the bigger mills.

Well,
I talked to John the Customer service manager.
They are going to send me another stock.
John said that the tech last time was suppose to inspect the last stock, but 
obviously that did not happen.
He assured me that Nick, a service rep, will go to the tech and inspect the stock with him before 
it is shipped to me to make sure that it is a good stock.
Wish me Luck !

Stock number three arrived today.
Guess what, it is cracked as well.
I am going to repair my original stock and one of the replacements for a back up and call it a day.
I am done with Lyman, I will never again buy a muzzle loader from them.

That is astounding! I am stunned by your repeated difficulties!
Three cracked stocks - it defies explanation!
Are the suppliers not drying the wood long enough? Has there been a change in the wood preparation process? Are the stocks being shaped while under stress?
Is the disease mentioned above creating weak areas?
Are the rifles and stocks being packed and shipped improperly?
No matter what the reason, why haven't the flaws been caught before shipment?
I would suggest calling one more time and asking "What the heck?!" It may not help you, but may direct them to solve their systemic problem.
Ron

I would suggest calling back also. 

My brother was having problems with getting information on a Mossberg O/U he had sent in to rectify a manufacture issue.  He kept getting the run around each time he called.  So I sent a letter detailing the problems he was having to the "Chairman of the Board" on behalf of my brother.  I got a phone call the day the letter arrived.  Problem got fixed!

Poor service is a reflection of poor management personnel.  A warehouse employee gets an order to ship out a stock.  He/she walks over and pulls a packaged stock off the shelf, never visually inspects it for flaws because management hasn't required him to.

I just sent them another email. asking for a refund.
We'll see how that goes.

Got an answer from John.
He said they will give me a full refund including shipping costs.

Back