My New Lyman GPR 50 Cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a sidelock with a fast twist (1:28) I shoot maxi-balls or PT Golds with a sabot. It's accurate out to 100 yards which is as far as I can shoot in most places here. I also use a Hubbard Mag-Spark with 209 primers because I shoot  BH 209 in it.

I don't really care what anyone thinks about the above. I usually get a deer or two each year and that's what I'm after. I'm not a "mountain man" or a pioneer. I hunt public land that is overrun with hunters and my set-up works for me.

patocazador said:
I have a sidelock with a fast twist (1:28) I shoot maxi-balls or PT Golds with a sabot. It's accurate out to 100 yards which is as far as I can shoot in most places here. I also use a Hubbard Mag-Spark with 209 primers because I shoot  BH 209 in it.

I don't really care what anyone thinks about the above. I usually get a deer or two each year and that's what I'm after. I'm not a "mountain man" or a pioneer. I hunt public land that is overrun with hunters and my set-up works for me.
Sure you care Bob. That why you wrote this post.  :tongue:

The truth be told. I don't care what anybody does either. It just doesn't make sense to me to use a traditional rifle if you aren't going to use everything traditional. What's the point of using 1830 technology in the gun and then try to modernize it? An inline is lighter, easier to clean, more reliable, and usually more accurate.

I am one that for the most part if you are going to shoot traditional muzzle loaders stay traditional.
I don't like in-lines at all, had them don't like them.
but not really use one, actually pretty true as I sell them all day long for just that purpose. 
However what do I know, I use 777 for my powder  :oops:

Hylander said:
I am one that for the most part if you are going to shoot traditional muzzle loaders stay traditional.
but not really use one, actually pretty true as I sell them all day long for just that purpose. 
How are you going to stay traditional when the lead ban goes into effect? Living in California must suck if one is a shooter of firearms.

patocazador said:
Hylander said:
How are you going to stay traditional when the lead ban goes into effect? Living in California must suck if one is a shooter of firearms.

For target shooting we are ok. 
For hunting I think there are are a couple of companies working on alternatives to lead 

Let's try to remember that this area is for round ball topics guys. No in lines either.

you guys have got me going, i dreamed of building a penn. 45 cal round ball side lock last night. 1/56 twist. 42 inch barrel. the only thing that is keeping me from doing it is money. got one more colt to buy and that a uberti 1851 mason 38 special conversion with a short barrel. takes me awhile to save enough for my toys. after that will be the penn long rifle. as far as accuracy goes that is my main goal. many years ago i made a commitment to accuracy and studied every thing poss about it. my guns are accurate. its a matter of right length of bullet for the twist, then the right powder charge. gun has to be built right also. the two brothers who i consulted on bullet and charge made 3 inch groups at a contest at 500 yards from a rest. they really made some old timers mad as they were shooting something different in a bullet then the old timers. i cant claim this one but to show you what can be done a muzzleloader shooter with a paperpatched bullet made  1000 yard shots at a nine inch group to win a match on the east cost a few year back. those guys who shoot bench muzzleloaders and load with a starter do bumble bee size groups at 200 yards. a utah man i consulted on building a sidelock gets 3 inch groups at 200 yards. im not satisfied with that but he is blowing away the local compitition. if any one want to message me a tell me what they have i can help make it better. ask koger who is a menber here. we have hunted together, he is into accuracy also. he got three deer in a nebraska hunt with me a year ago. one at 100 yards with a easy shot. one at 180 yards and another at 190 yards. muzzle loader can do this and way more out their. mine was a good 200 yard shot this year. accuracy isnt rocket science and i know the science of it, round ball or some kind of bullet. just want every one to have fun. strong eagle

I was fortunate in picking up a used GPR in .54 cal. The owner before me had not only cared for this rifle, but draw filed off all the writing on the barrel and it looks like he refinished the wood. As far as I am concerned, I have a better than new GPR that shoots very well.
Ron

RonC said:
I was fortunate in picking up a used GPR in .54 cal. The owner before me had not only cared for this rifle, but draw filed off all the writing on the barrel and it looks like he refinished the wood. As far as I am concerned, I have a better than new GPR that shoots very well.
Ron
Sounds like one of my old GPR's. Who did you get it from?

Pete,
I have to look through my old emails to find the name of the seller. This is the description of the GPR from the seller:

"Lyman GPR  caplock 54 cal rifle
Up for sale is a Lyman GPR , caplock, .54 cal rifle. In excellent used condition, well maintained. It was a kit rifle and the barrel has been "sanitized" per the draw filing method described on this forum with excellent results. The barrel has no rust or pitting. All furniture and barrel is rust browned. It has a beautiful walnut stock. Very accurate with a patched round ball.

It has a Hot Shot nipple. Both the front and rear sights were replaced to make the rifle more inline with the originals I had seen pics of. I'd start with 65 grns. of 3F with the balls and patch material I included. I always use Hoppes <a href='/tags/9' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #9'>#9</a> Plus for a patch lube after being schooled by some good folks on the forum, you can shoot at least 15- 20 shots before it needs a wipe. Good stuff. The trigger is a jewel also, nice feel, I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I did."

Ron

What caught my eye was the barrel defarbed, but now that I think back that gun was a flintlock.

Super excited they are sending me a new stock.
However, I was really excited the first time to get rifle back with a new stock but 
that did not turn out well. I keep thinking, is this going to be a finished stock or one from a kit gun.
Fingers crossed  :lol:

You might be better off with a kit stock so you can work it to be a better fit than the factory does. I'm guessing it will be finished.

I have a new Deerstalker that has the worse fit i've ever seen on a Lyman before. Easily fixed with some sanding, but we shouldn't have to do that when we buy a gun.

I'll use the Deerstalker, but i'm saving up for a custom built Isaac Haines flintlock longrifle. The smaller swamped barrel should feel lighter than the Hawken style guns. Even if it is 38" long it should have a lighter feel. Overall weight of gun is just 7 1/2lbs. I also always wanted a flintlock with a good lock and barre. It will have a Siler/chambers lock and Rice barrel. I hope i'll like it.

Well, I received my stock.
It is finished with butt plate and nose cap.
But guess what, it also has a crack under the lock  :roll:
I have not seen yet if anything fits right., not sure if where the crack is will effect anything or not.
I am done with Lyman, bring on the Traditions !

Well I the crack is where recoil will be an issue  :roll:
I am not going to try to repair it because of where it is.
Also it will take some work to get everything to fit proper.
I am going to work over my original stock maybe later in the spring.
But for now I am just going to shoot it and have fun.
I will be contacting Lyman to express my disappointment and let them know I am done.
This is such a bummer, the first one I bought many years ago was Awesome.

OK,
Emailed John at Lyman.
He is going to send me another stock.
Seems they are trying to make this right.

First stock:

39193762874_a4bf7ecb6a_z.jpg

Second stock:

28124024279_2e2b340ee6_z.jpg

WOW, yeah not good at all! The walnut is bad at cracking and chipping, but that is a bad area to have it in considering that the tang screws run through that area or close by.

Latest posts

Back